• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t69
    • Oct 2004

rsp 1066 a good choice ?

Hello,

First sorry for my bad English…

I just want to have your input, opinion. I’m looking for a preamp for my bi-active loudspeaker from rowen . I have now an offer for a new rsp 1066, it’s more than half the price of an rsp 1068, what you thought must I go for it. It’s the 1066 a good choice, use is 30% music and 70% hc.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

:-) T69
    Plasma TV: Hitachi 42PD7200 / Preamp: Rotel RSP 1066 / DVD: Denon 3930 / Speakers (Bi-Active): Front: 2x Rowen AT Sphere / Center: 2x Rowen AM1c / Rear: 2x Rowen AT Sphere / Subwoofer: SVS PB12-Plus/2

Home Cinema I / Home Cinema II
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you are sticking with a 5.1 system, the 1066 is an excellent unit. Once you go 7.1, the 1068 has a lot more advantages.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Cdnhifi
      • Mar 2006

t69, I just picked up a rsp-1066 and its an excellent pre-amp.... I'm extremely happy with it! The 1068 is suppose to have better DAC's and produce an even better sound but I cannot imagine it being much better then the 1066.

I got the 1066 and 1075 amp both used but in brand new shape and I could not be happier!
      System:

Rotel RSP-1066
      Rotel RMB-1075
      Prima 32" LCD
      Energy Conoisseur C-3's, CC-1, CR-3's
      Energy sl-X10 Sub
      Cambridge D-500SE
      Motorolla HD box

Comment

• greenjudas
        • Mar 2005

Don't have any worries about getting the 1066,it will do the job very nicely.At less than half the price of a 1068,go for it!

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Mmm I have had both and think the 1068 is worth the extra money. The 1066 will be 2 generations old by the end of the year too... so if you can afford it I would go for the 1068 ... you should be able to get 2nd hand 1068's for a decent price ... or wait until the new RSP comes out and get the 1068 then.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I have not heard the 1068, so I can not offer an opinion as to any difference. I did recently get a used RSP-1066. I use it for music 80% and HT the other 20%. I listen to it almost exclusively in 2-ch mode, so any advantage the 1068 processors may have is not a big issue for me, and I don’t plan on needing any more than 5.1 for a very long time.
            It has fit my needs perfectly, and on the used market in the US for less than $800, I feel it is a great bargain.

The longer I have it, the more it impresses me.

BTW, your English is very good!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• t69
              • Oct 2004

Hello friends,

Thanks for your feedbacks, I think that I would go for it…

Thanks ;x(

:-) T69
              Plasma TV: Hitachi 42PD7200 / Preamp: Rotel RSP 1066 / DVD: Denon 3930 / Speakers (Bi-Active): Front: 2x Rowen AT Sphere / Center: 2x Rowen AM1c / Rear: 2x Rowen AT Sphere / Subwoofer: SVS PB12-Plus/2

Home Cinema I / Home Cinema II

Comment

• deke
                • Dec 2005

On previous posts regarding 1066 vs 1068 comparisons, most have identified one of the big benefits to be better bass management on the 1068. I haven't read a lot about the difference in the video section.

Does the 1068 do video switching or does it actually upscale from say S-Video to Component (does it actually interpolate and add info)?

Does the 1066?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Aboout a year and a half ago when I upgraded from the 1066 I got the opportunity to a/b the 1068 and 1098 against my 1066. The SQ of the 1066 is quite a bit warmer than either of the two newer offerrings, and the HF is not quite as extended. Overall the 2 channel ability of the 1066 is excellent so I wouldn't hesitate to use it in that capacity. Once surround channels come into consideration, however, the 1068 wins hands down even in just 5.1, sinces it's surround steering is just that much better.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• deke
                    • Dec 2005

DrJRapp,

Can you provide any insight on the video section. The concept of video switching vs. upconversion has always confused me (i.e. when Rotel says it converts from S-Video to component, is it adding info or just passing one signal through a different format)?

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

From memory I think they call it upconversion on the 1068.

It converts composite and/or S video to component.

Apparently component is needed for HD picture

Maybe someone else can confirm this though.

Comment

• borndevil
                        • Aug 2005

No. It can't.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                          • Nov 2004

Sorry, Yes it can !

Page 16 of the Owners manual for the Rsp1068 states-

OUTPUT CONVERSION: " the RSP 1068 converts composite and S-video signals to component video signals for output to an NTSC or PAL standard TV monitor"

Comment

• sirbogey
                            • Mar 2006

so, the 1068 converts the signal, but about the 1066?

Comment

• Stevebez
                              • Oct 2003

From memory I dont believe the 1066 did ... I used component from DVD into screen and s-video into screen from processor. Dont think it converted S-video or composite to component monitor output.

Or mbe I am wrong - cannot remember for sure ... what I do know is the 1066 did not pass through prog scan component input to component output. 1068 does.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

According to manual, as I understand the description, the RSP-1066 will not convert one type of video input to a different output. It says you must ‘always use the Same type of connectors’ for both input and output of video signal.

One question I do have after having owned my 1066 for about three months has to do with audio connections. In order to achieve ‘by-pass’ of any digital processing the manual says ‘NOTE: 2CH mode allows you to hear 2-channel stereo recordings in their original format using the analog inputs.’

If I use the L and R analog outputs from a source connected the Multi inputs on the 1066, and select the ‘Multi’ mode, won’t this also deliver an unprocessed signal the amps?
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JDH
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  According to manual, as I understand the description, the RSP-1066 will not convert one type of video input to a different output. It says you must ‘always use the Same type of connectors’ for both input and output of video signal.

One question I do have after having owned my 1066 for about three months has to do with audio connections. In order to achieve ‘by-pass’ of any digital processing the manual says ‘NOTE: 2CH mode allows you to hear 2-channel stereo recordings in their original format using the analog inputs.’

If I use the L and R analog outputs from a source connected the Multi inputs on the 1066, and select the ‘Multi’ mode, won’t this also deliver an unprocessed signal the amps?

I have the RSP-1066, the mult input as I understand is full bypass, ie. no sub out. In 2ch from other inputs ie. CD input etc, it still does some processing to produce a sub out signal.

I'm still pretty happy with the RSP-1066 and would only replace it with a RSP-1068 if the change over was negligable. Basically I will be waiting for the RSP-1068's replacement which should support the new HD formats and HDMI switching etc, also by that time I will probably also buy a HD TV with HDMI in at that stage.
                                  Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the info JDH!
                                    This is what I suspected, however the manual is not very specific in regards to explaining processed output vs. unprocessed output. How long have you had yours? Like you, I feel it does everything I need it to for now, ( I’m a mostly 2-ch guy), and until I get HDTV, I think it will work out just fine. I am curious how well a soon to be added sub will integrate, being that the 1068 is known to have better bass management.
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"