X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

RSP-1068 questions

G'day,

After a long saga trying out an RSP-1068, then an RSP-1066, I finally settled on the RSP-1068 yesterday. I think (hope!) I've made the right choice.

Anyway, I've got a couple of questions, which I trust someone here can help answer.

(1) I've got an old TV, which only handles PAL. I configured the settings via the OSD so that the display is set to "PAL" rather than the default "NTSC". But when I change the input to a non-video source, the OSD rolls off screen, consistent with an NTSC display on a PAL system. This means that I cannot modify the settings for the CD input, for example. Is this expected behaviour?

(2) The manual mentions that a cable with mono 3.5mm mini-plugs at either end is required for the 12v trigger. I've phoned around town, and I can only get stereo 3.5mm cables. Would using the stereo cable, rather than mono, be a problem?

(3) I thought that the RSP-1068 I used a few weeks ago had different HF/LFcontrols to the one I have now. I seem to recall the first RSP-1068 I tried had an up/down button for each HF and LF control, rather than a dial. Has the RSP-1068 interface changed, or am I just mistaken?

(4) I also picked up an RCD-1072 CD player yesterday. Which unit has the better DAC? The RCD-1072, or the RSP-1068?

Parenthetically, a close look at the LCD display of the RCD-1072 reveals such goodies as "DTS", "MPEG", etc. I'm assuming that Rotel have used an existing DVD player LCD for the 1072. That seems a bit of an odd thing to do for their top-of-the-line CD player.

Anyway, now to hunt for the right speakers...

-- Geoff
    Last edited by hired goon; 18 September 2004, 18:48 Saturday. Reason: Added question about DAC
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Geoff

(1) I've got an old TV, which only handles PAL. I configured the settings via the OSD so that the display is set to "PAL" rather than the default "NTSC". But when I change the input to a non-video source, the OSD rolls off screen, consistent with an NTSC display on a PAL system. This means that I cannot modify the settings for the CD input, for example. Is this expected behaviour?
    I have a PAL TV on my 1098 and don'tget this issue - but then I have the RSP-1098...

(2) The manual mentions that a cable with mono 3.5mm mini-plugs at either end is required for the 12v trigger. I've phoned around town, and I can only get stereo 3.5mm cables. Would using the stereo cable, rather than mono, be a problem?
    Yes the stereo ones don't always work as the active and insulation points don't line up... Just go to Radioshack / Tandy or similar and ask for the 3.5 Mono Cables - they are anout about $3 each.

(3) I thought that the RSP-1068 I used a few weeks ago had different HF/LFcontrols to the one I have now. I seem to recall the first RSP-1068 I tried had an up/down button for each HF and LF control, rather than a dial. Has the RSP-1068 interface changed, or am I just mistaken?
    (4) I also picked up an RCD-1072 CD player yesterday. Which unit has the better DAC? The RCD-1072, or the RSP-1068?
    This is a big debate try a search on " 1072 and DAC" and you willl see.... I have the RSP-1098 and RCD-1072 and for me with a really good coax cable - I like the sound better from the RSP-1098 (and it allows me to use the subwoofer, have 7.1 sound etc) - but the DACs in the RCD-1072 are very very good for pure stereo with the right analogue cables.

Parenthetically, a close look at the LCD display of the RCD-1072 reveals such goodies as "DTS", "MPEG", etc. I'm assuming that Rotel have used an existing DVD player LCD for the 1072. That seems a bit of an odd thing to do for their top-of-the-line CD player.
    This type of parts reuse is very common in most suppliers except. LCD screens etc are expensive to get custom made so you will often see the same one used in 2 or 3 different models...

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
      I have a PAL TV on my 1098 and don'tget this issue - but then I have the RSP-1098...
      Looks like an email to Rotel tech support is in order then...

Yes the stereo ones don't always work as the active and insulation points don't line up... Just go to Radioshack / Tandy or similar and ask for the 3.5 Mono Cables - they are anout about $3 each.
      I tried a few such stores around town -- no luck yet. I'll keep looking...

... the DACs in the RCD-1072 are very very good for pure stereo with the right analogue cables.
      Any suggestions for what would be the "right analogue cables"? I've never spent big on cables previously -- I've found that expensive cables don't really add much benefit viz a viz their price. Simple gold-plated and insulated RCA's seem to do a "well enough" job so far (such as the AUD$40 interconnects from Tandy/Radioshack) -- but I'm willing to go a bit more in this case, if there's a noticable benefit.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Hi - i didn't notice you were from Australia - Dick Smith stock the mono 3.5mm cables all round Australia at all their stores - I bought mine there...

Re Analogue Cables - If you really want the best - try the Silvercats or Kingcats from forum sponsor www.catcables.com they are awesome... Other brands worth trying are Audioquest, Kimber, Van Den Hul etc..

Geoff

Comment

• hazard
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hired goon
          Looks like an email to Rotel tech support is in order then...

-- Geoff

Hi Geoff (s)

I have the NTSC output issue on my 1068 too, exactly as you describe. I emailed Rotel about it a couple of months ago and got the following response:

2) The processors video switching acts like a pass through, therefore there is no conversion of video standards from PAL-to-NTSC or vice versa, even when upscaling. The PAL/NTSC option in the menu simply tells the processor what type of signal is coming in, in order to display the OSD correctly. Therefore if your input is a PAL input then the output will be PAL. The same applies to NTSC

This doesn't really explain it but I'm not sure they understood what I was getting at. I'd be interested to hear the response you get this time around.

Thanks
          Fergus

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

Dick Smith stock the mono 3.5mm cables all round Australia at all their stores - I bought mine there...
            Interestingly enough, neither Tandy nor Dick Smith (basically the same these days) stock the 3.5mm mono cables -- just the stereo cables. Luckily the local Jaycar had the right gear.

-- Geoff
            Last edited by hired goon; 20 September 2004, 01:09 Monday. Reason: Removed question about interconnects (not really Rotel related)

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"