X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navin R. Johnso
    • Apr 2006

2-channel direct on 1056

Setup so far- 1056 with B&W 704s for main, no sub, 1072 as CD source. I've been listening to the CD in the direct bypass mode. I'm looking for a sub and wondering how to integrate this into my music listening. If I use the LFE input for the sub and utilize the 1056 for bass management I couldn't use the analog bypass any longer. Has anyone had listening experience in making this switch?

Is there any other way to incorporate a sub with the mains and keep the signal analog in the 1056?

Subs under consideration include B&W 700, RELs and Velodynes, in the interest of having a more "musical" tight bass.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

You could run your mains as full range or "large" with no sub in the 1056 setup then run your speaker output for your mains to your sub first and use it's internal crossover and send the remaining signal to your mains. (IE: the old fashioned way)
    Jason

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by aud19
      You could run your mains as full range or "large" with no sub in the 1056 setup then run your speaker output for your mains to your sub first and use it's internal crossover and send the remaining signal to your mains. (IE: the old fashioned way)
      So feed the sub speaker-level inputs and carry the signal on from there to the 704s? Would the sub filter the signal and send on only the information above the cross-over to the mains, or would it send the whole signal?

Looking at the back of the Velodyne DD-12 there are only one set of speaker binding posts- would both the incoming and outgoing signal be connected there, for example?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

No your sub would require a speaker connection in and out. If it doesn't then this method isn't an option for you unfortunately.
        Jason

Comment

• FernandoF
          • Nov 2005

Hi Navin,

I believe you can use the front L/R of the "multi-input" on the 1056 (normally used for SACD or DVD-A), and then enable the Sub Redirect function. This is supposed to send a pure analog signal to your L/R speakers, and a "copy" of that signal through an analog 100Hz low-pass filter and then to your subwoofer via Sub-out.

If I correctly understood what you want to do, that may do the trick. Let me tell you, however, that I personally don't like the output of the subwoofer with that configuration. According to my tests, I suspect the analog filter is more a 200Hz than a 100Hz low-pass, which is too high for my taste.

There is one thing that I haven't tried yet, which is to use the internal crossover of the subwoofer to get rid of the high bass. That could help...

Just keep in mind that I may be wrong and you may like the result ! Please make sure you tell us about it. I'd appreciate your feedback on my 100Hz vs. 200Hz low-pass suspect as well.

Good luck,

Fernando

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by FernandoF
            Hi Navin,

I believe you can use the front L/R of the "multi-input" on the 1056 (normally used for SACD or DVD-A), and then enable the Sub Redirect function. This is supposed to send a pure analog signal to your L/R speakers, and a "copy" of that signal through an analog 100Hz low-pass filter and then to your subwoofer via Sub-out.
            So bring the CD feed in through that multi-input, in the L & R channels? How would I enable that sub redirect in the 1056?

I think you're right, no matter what got sent to the sub that way it could be tamed using the sub's crossover settings.

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

I have the following setup with my Rotel RSX-1055:

I run the RCD-1072 L&R analog out into a M&K BMC-Mini bass management controller. From the BMC, The L&R as well as the sub out are fed to the Multi-inputs on RSX-1055. (L,R and sub)

The results are noticeably better than I get by using a digital input and using the 1055's bass management, especially in the bass region although it is improved overall. The bass is tighter, more articulate, reaches lower and has better definition.

You could also use an Outlaw ICBM. I know these units cost a few dollars ($200-300), but they are the proper way to integrate a sub into your system and staying in the analog domain. You are in effect bi-amping and the satellites do sound better and more dynamic as the 1056 amp is not trying to reproduce the power hungry lower octaves. I have played around with various configurations and this one stands out and is clearly the best in my system.

Comment

• FernandoF
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Navin R. Johnso
                So bring the CD feed in through that multi-input, in the L & R channels? How would I enable that sub redirect in the 1056?
                Yes, that's the idea. For the bass redirect feature, select the Multi Input, hit Audio, access MAIN MENU, hit Enter, INPUT, then scroll down to LFE REDIRECT and enable it.

Regards,

Fernando

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by FernandoF
                  Yes, that's the idea. For the bass redirect feature, select the Multi Input, hit Audio, access MAIN MENU, hit Enter, INPUT, then scroll down to LFE REDIRECT and enable it.

Regards,

Fernando
                  Great, thanks. Since those multi inputs are already converted the analog bypass should work fine there. Clever solution!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I forgot about that feature!

Sorry.... ops:
                    Jason

Comment

• FernandoF
                      • Nov 2005

Yes Navin, the multi-inputs are always "analog bypass". Let us know whether it worked !

Comment

• spinners
                        • Feb 2006

Navin, to keep it simple and to your liking:
                        Buy a Rel sub. Why? You can connect a Rel to your 1056 2 ways simultaniously. So via the normal subconnection on your 1056, where you can adjust crossovers and so more. But this way 2 channel bypass you will get no bassfrom your sub. So Rel has another connection, via neutrik connection on your sub to the inputs of your main speakerconnection on your 1056. This way your sub will get exactly the same bass as your main speakers, without all the tricks!
                        If you are confused, take a look here: www.rel.net
                        I have 2 of those babies connected and it's a field of bass!
                        RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• spinners
                          • Feb 2006

here's a quote from the Rel site:

Both Barrels

All REL sub-bass systems are optimised to deliver high fidelity bass in both two-channel and multi-channel applications. Their sophisticated Active Bass Control (ABC) filter/input regime allows them to be calibrated precisely for movie soundtracks and for two-channel listening simultaneously. Individual volume controls for high and low level inputs allow the user to maximise the fidelity of both systems.
                          Why is this important? In connecting the REL to your system at high and low level, you’ll provide low frequency support to the full range left and right channel speakers
                          (when they’re set to ‘large’), in addition to pressurizing the room from the LFE track. In this configuration, the REL provides support for both the left and right speakers for two-channel listening, and support for the LFE when movies are playing. The effect of this set-up is one of greatly increased dynamics in the mid-bass range; no bass bloat; and a greater degree of space and timing from the Foley effects.
                          RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"