X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Is analog video gone on the RDV 1092?

Any know yet if te new DVD player from Rotel will ONLY have HDMI? Or will component still be there?

A question im sure I wont get an answer to yet, but if it is only HDMI output will there be the option to send 480i over the HDMI, or only progressive?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The 1092 will have HDMI in addition to all other outputs. Hopefully it will allow composite output while in progressive mode, unlike the current players.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

i really hope the dvd player is something worth upgrading to. HDMI means absolutely nothing to me. I mean I realy hope that it has the picture quality of a Denon 5910 and better sound quality then a RCD 1072. Otherwise why bother eliminating the RDV 1060 and coming out with an $1,800 universal.

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
        i really hope the dvd player is something worth upgrading to. HDMI means absolutely nothing to me. I mean I realy hope that it has the picture quality of a Denon 5910 and better sound quality then a RCD 1072. Otherwise why bother eliminating the RDV 1060 and coming out with an $1,800 universal.
        I hear you.

Comment

• Vicente
          • May 2004

Well, first at all I don't think the 1092 will be a universal reader. At least no one said it will read SACD.

2nd. I hope that the 1092 can read CD's as good as the 1072 does, but it will be difficult for a non dedicated CD unit.

3rd. HDMI is a great improvement over components, and I can tell you that because I use a projector for watching films (the Mitsubishi HC3000 - 1280x768 pixels) and you really can see the differences between using components or HDMI.

I have a RDV1060 now connected to the PJ thru components and my dealer lent me a cheap Denon 1920 (about 350 Euros) that has HDMI output.

Wow, what a difference. The image was crispy clear and with details where it was a foggy one before (with components). You don't usually notice this if you use less than a 42' plasma, but when you see it in a 120' screen or more, it makes a whole world of difference.

So I'm still expecting for the new 1092, but with that price tag it should include SACD, have the ability of playing CD's as good or better than the 1072, and show a picture quality exceeding the high Denons, Marantzs and Pioneers.

I hope it will do or I don't deserve a healthy live to this new toy. Rotel is known for a good quality/price ratio but this time it's going to be difficult to achieve it.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            The 1092 will have HDMI in addition to all other outputs. Hopefully it will allow composite output while in progressive mode, unlike the current players.

Kevin D.
            why would someone need that?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Several reasons..

1) Multi-room output. I can't spec Rotel in a house wide system because you can't get the best picture (progressive) in the theater, and composite to the rest of the TV's in the house.

2) The 1098's screen (and my touchscreen controller) only support composite. To preview something on screen, you need to turn progressive off. It wouldn't be too bad if it was available from the front of the unit, but you either need the remote or to flip a switch in the back.

3) Dual TV outputs. A lot of people have a smaller TV they just switch composite to for normal viewing, and a projector/screen hooked up with component.

4) Home automation systems, use a video sync sensor on the composite out to see whether the unit actually turned on or not.

5) There's absolutely no technical reason they can't do it.

I could go on, but I think that covers the main ones.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Vicente
                Well, first at all I don't think the 1092 will be a universal reader. At least no one said it will read SACD.

2nd. I hope that the 1092 can read CD's as good as the 1072 does, but it will be difficult for a non dedicated CD unit.

3rd. HDMI is a great improvement over components, and I can tell you that because I use a projector for watching films (the Mitsubishi HC3000 - 1280x768 pixels) and you really can see the differences between using components or HDMI.

I have a RDV1060 now connected to the PJ thru components and my dealer lent me a cheap Denon 1920 (about 350 Euros) that has HDMI output.

Wow, what a difference. The image was crispy clear and with details where it was a foggy one before (with components). You don't usually notice this if you use less than a 42' plasma, but when you see it in a 120' screen or more, it makes a whole world of difference.

So I'm still expecting for the new 1092, but with that price tag it should include SACD, have the ability of playing CD's as good or better than the 1072, and show a picture quality exceeding the high Denons, Marantzs and Pioneers.

I hope it will do or I don't deserve a healthy live to this new toy. Rotel is known for a good quality/price ratio but this time it's going to be difficult to achieve it.
                My experience is that HDMI offers no picture improvement and while its being marketed as such, it is really only being introduce for copy protection reasons. I have done many AB tests (on fixed pixal displays) with hi end external video processors useing HDMI vs Various analog connections. Some DVD players may be better on its HDMI output then its Component output, but on a whole HDMI (in my experience) adds nothing in terms of picture quality. My tests have been done on a 42" and 50" plasma using an iScan HD external video processor, Rotel, Denon (various models), panasonic and toshiba DVD players.

To me HDMI is snake oil, and its all about copy protection and nothing to do with picture quality.

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

My experience is that HDMI offers no picture improvement and while its being marketed as such, it is really only being introduce for copy protection reasons. I have done many AB tests (on fixed pixal displays) with hi end external video processors useing HDMI vs Various analog connections. Some DVD players may be better on its HDMI output then its Component output, but on a whole HDMI (in my experience) adds nothing in terms of picture quality. My tests have been done on a 42" and 50" plasma using an iScan HD external video processor, Rotel, Denon (various models), panasonic and toshiba DVD players.

To me HDMI is snake oil, and its all about copy protection and nothing to do with picture quality.
                  I'm sorry to disagree with you in this question. As I told you, with big screens you can really see the difference. And this is not something than can be subjective like when you compare sounds. Here you can see it with your eyes without any doubt.

The comparison I did was Rotel RDV-1060 (1000 Euros)with components output versus Denon 1920 (350 Euros) thru HDMI both connected to the Mitsubishi HC3000 projector, using the same test films.

And the winner was.... Denon thru HDMI. As reported before the image was crisper, the edges with more definition, and, maybe with a little less colour.

Of course this can depend on the differences between Rotel and Denon. I don't know if using the new rdv-1092 thru components and thru HDMI the results can be unnoticeable, but yes there was a difference in the test I did.

Maybe we should wait till we can do this test with the 1092, using the scaler, but that will be still $1500 away from the Denon (that reads SACD as a plus).

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

I'm sorry to disagree with you in this question. As I told you, with big screens you can really see the difference. And this is not something than can be subjective like when you compare sounds. Here you can see it with your eyes without any doubt.

The comparison I did was Rotel RDV-1060 (1000 Euros)with components output versus Denon 1920 (350 Euros) thru HDMI both connected to the Mitsubishi HC3000 projector, using the same test films.

And the winner was.... Denon thru HDMI. As reported before the image was crisper, the edges with more definition, and, maybe with a little less colour.

Of course this can depend on the differences between Rotel and Denon. I don't know if using the new rdv-1092 thru components and thru HDMI the results can be unnoticeable, but yes there was a difference in the test I did.

Maybe we should wait till we can do this test with the 1092, using the scaler, but that will be still $1500 away from the Denon (that reads SACD as a plus).
                    dont be sorry...i am sure more people would agree with you then agree with me I have also not seen HDMI on a screen your size.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

dont be sorry...i am sure more people would agree with you then agree with me I have also not seen HDMI on a screen your size.
                      To sum this up and GREATLY simplify this argument.... Any PQ improvement with either HDMI/DVI vs component is VERY, VERY display and player dependant
                      Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Of course, that's apples and oranges. Your comparing a standard progressive DVD with a Faroujia based scaling DVD. You would need to set the Denon to 480P, and run both component and HDMI out. Then compare those two. And as Aud19 said, it's probably still not going to prove anything.

To me it's a big thorn. I've had so many issues with DVI/HDMI that I try to NOT use them if possible. Not to mention the length limitations..

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Not to mention the length limitations..
                          Kevin D.
                          Are we still talking electronics here Kevin....? :unsure:

:rofl:
                          Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
                            Are we still talking electronics here Kevin....? :unsure:

:rofl:
                            Heh.. I thought of several replies I could put, but yeah, electronics..

Kevin D.

Comment

• peterS
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Several reasons..

1) Multi-room output. I can't spec Rotel in a house wide system because you can't get the best picture (progressive) in the theater, and composite to the rest of the TV's in the house.

2) The 1098's screen (and my touchscreen controller) only support composite. To preview something on screen, you need to turn progressive off. It wouldn't be too bad if it was available from the front of the unit, but you either need the remote or to flip a switch in the back.

3) Dual TV outputs. A lot of people have a smaller TV they just switch composite to for normal viewing, and a projector/screen hooked up with component.

4) Home automation systems, use a video sync sensor on the composite out to see whether the unit actually turned on or not.

5) There's absolutely no technical reason they can't do it.

I could go on, but I think that covers the main ones.

Kevin D.
                              thanks... we run ours like that so that surprises me
                              i read it as progressive scan through composit-lol

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"