X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuttjL
    • Oct 2003

Difference sub "yes" and sub "no"

I have done my very best trying to find more info on this but couldn't find it anywhere in the forum so here we go;

I have a Denon 2800mkII connected to a 1066 via coax. All speakers are set to LARGE and a REL sub is connected on line to LFE out aswell aswell as the high input is connected to my rear speakeroutputs.

When I listen to stereo using the DVD player I have to set the sub to "no" in speaker setup to get the best sound even though the volume of the sub is set to "off" in stereo mode.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the sub is not producing any sound at all (exactly as it is supposed to !) but I can hear a difference in my mains when changing for sub "yes" to sub "no". As if the signal is processed in another way. I have even created a macro to switch the speaker setup when I'm listening to audio.

It almost looks like Rotel is "making a copy" of the PCM audiostream and runs it to it's digital bassmanagement system. Depending on the sub setup it decides to give any signal on the outputs but it is copying the signal anyway. My main speakers are fairly good and connected to a RB1080 so audio quality is very good (yup, need a good CD player I know). I can decribe the difference as with sub to "yes" the mid section sounds unreal whereas with sub to "off" the sound balance is a lot better.

I bought the 1066 about 6 months ago. I will check the bios tonight but I guess it has to be either 2.25 of 2.26 considering the menu options I have.

I also read something about using the analog input for CD so I will try that tonight aswell. Maybe then I don't hear a difference between the 2.

Please help !!!

Lars
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I have a Denon 2800mkII connected to a 1066 via coax. All speakers are set to LARGE and a REL sub is connected on line to LFE out aswell aswell as the high input is connected to my rear speakeroutputs
    I can understand why you have all the speakers set to large but why connect the sub to the rear speakers? Also what speakers do you own? There's exceptionally few speakers that are capable of being run rull range for home theater use so in almost every case the speakers should be set to small and let the subwoofer take over the lowest bass. You can then set the crossover point to a fairly low point if you like though usually its double the F3 point of the smallest speaker in the group. For most people this is somewhere around 60 to 80hz. For 2 channel where you may want to run your mains full range simply set the stereo mode's subwoofer setting to off and you'll be running full range everytime you select stereo as the decoding method.

Comment

• LuttjL
      • Oct 2003

1st; That's a lovely discussion as I'm always willing to try every possible sub integration. The reason why I have integrated my sub the way I have now is because I believe in the mind of the man behind the DD or DTS encoding machine. Extreme bass signals do NOT belong in the 5 channels but in the .1 channel. The fewer the digital source signal is recalculated the better and with all speakers set to large I have connected .1 to my line input and the rears to the high input with a 60hz rollover.

2nd; My mains are Chario Hiper Masterpiece speakers. They consist of 5 drivers from which 2 are used for bass and 3 for mid/high. The 2 bass drivers are facing the floor with a small bass reflex hole in the back. I truly LOVE these loudspeakers. The speakers are bi-wired with Siltech MXT Professional London series (x2).

3rd; All of this does not address my problem with the subwoofer setting in speakersetup. Forget about the DD and DTS stuff. Imagine a simple CD player using coax to the 1066. Set the volume offset for Stereo to "off" in the subwoofer menu. Set the mains to Large and everything else to "No". Then start CD playback and switch between subwoofer "yes" and "no". As per design of bassmanagement the subwoofer itself does not make any sound whatsoever. The stereo sound of your mains still sounds differently between the two settings !!! why-oh-why is that ???

Cheers from the Netherlands !

Lars

Comment

• LuttjL
        • Oct 2003

Forget to mention; the difference in stereo sound I'm experiencing is not in bass. So it has nothing to do with no bass signals sent to the mains. It's just a bit different, less realistic. As if the signal is processed differently with sub set to "Yes".

Comment

• LuttjL
          • Oct 2003

Oops.... checked my rom version and upgraded from 2.2.4 to 2.2.6 last night and now the problem seems to be resolved. I still don't understand it as the only relevant fix seems to be the MAX/YES Sub for all modes fix in 2.2.5.

Either way, I'm a happy man and I can remove the sub yes/no macro from my remote.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
            • Dec 2002

I told ya........

------------------------------------------------------
            Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• LuttjL
              • Oct 2003

Yup, you did. But the question is; can you explain it ?
              I'm defenately not going to perform a downgrade on the processor to figure it out. I'm very happy the problem is resolved and let's leave it at that !

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                • Dec 2002

Sometimes its better NOT to know the explanation, just except it!

I'm really sure there must be some guys overhere who knows what your real problem and solution were.

I'll also upgrade my RSP1066 to 2.26.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"