Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jayhrc51
    • May 2012

Sub recommendations

As the title says, I'm looking for some potential input or suggestions for a sub solution in my new house. My current setup is 4-12's in two separate sealed enclosures with a Crown amp powering them. They are/were paired with Zaph SR71's for the front channels. I've since "upgraded" to some Elac DBR-62's for the fronts and those will be here this week. Each sub enclosure is running at 2ohm and the amp is running 2ohm stereo. I have an older Marantz surround receiver powering the front and surround channels and sending the Crown sub the signals. This worked well in a previous house but I've since downsized so that I could be closer to the beach, sacrifices were made on sq footage and now these subs just don't work for this house.

I am kind of torn between two sub options 1) large ported enclosure with a single 15 or 18 or 2) tuba home theater low profile build. I have a dead space in a corner where I could build decent sized ported enclosure (could probably fit about 8cuft if I get creative with the cabinet) or I have room behind my couch for a long, low profile tuba build. Room is about 17x20 but it opens to the kitchen which is about the same size. They are connected by a large cased opening, so one large room for all intents and purposes. I had thought about moving the current subs to the dead space but I would rather do something that is purpose built for the space. Plus it gives me a chance to upgrade.

Budget is $500 or less for new driver(s) and enclosure build. I plan to continue to use the Crown amp as it works fine and gives me enough power for my needs (1500 watts bridged @4ohm).

Is there anything I should be considering beyond what I've already mentioned? I've been away from the audio forums for a long time and since I'm looking to upgrade I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything
  • 1Michael
    • Sep 2006

What are the exact dimensions of a box that you can handle?
    For a room that size I would recommend multiple subs...
    Michael
    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Scottg
      • Nov 2006

Assuming you sit on the couch, go with the "behind the couch" option with some DSP for delay/phase correction along with freq. response correction and low-pass filter.

Do you have the T/S data on the 4 12" drivers you already have?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"