X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrian carreon
    • Mar 2006

rb-1070 or rb-1080 for audience 72se's

Hello guys,

I need some help deciding which one should I get. Anyone here has this kind of setup? Oh by the way just letting youknow that I'm new in this forum so thanks for your time on this and help.

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S.
    Maybe I consider the RMB-1075 or stick with the 2 ch for the mains and leave the rest for the receiver? I have a Marantz SR8500 and planning to go for HT.
    Marantz SR8500; RMB-1075 Silver
    Dynaudio Audience 72SE; Audience 122C; Audience 42 & B&W ASW 600
    Samsung DV841; Samsung DLP 50"
    Cobalt Cable Interconnect; Audio Quest & Monster Cable
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I had the RB-1070 powering the B&W 804 Nautilus and was very happy with the result. The 1080 is a better amp but many issues with the amp blowing fuses. I am currently using a RB-1092 in place of my RB-1070. Get the 1080 if you can afford it. You may be able to find a used one on Audiogon for $650.

Comment

• adrian carreon
      • Mar 2006

miner,

Well, about the price will be no problem 'coz my budget at least 1k but the thing is does it worth of buying the 1080 over the 1070 which the difference is 70w from the two. Also not sure if will be ok to use the 1080 on my audience 72se which is said from the specs "IEC Long term handling = 210W" has 4 ohms... do you think there will be no problem if I will end up on 1080?

Thanks!

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

the more power the better.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

The 1080 is a better sounding amp than the 1070 - more bass response & better soundstage. The power will not be a problem as long as you do not subject the 72se to long-term high volume. At 4 ohms I beleive the 1080 is 300 watts and 1070 is 200 watts. Maybe some 1080 users will chime in here.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

it is very hard to fry a voice coil with unclipped signal no matter how powerful the amp when listening to music, this holds true for tweeters too

you do not need to worry about "exceeding" rms rating of the speaker
            those are for 0db reference sine waves (ie test tone)
            music is much easier on a drivers voice coil as long as it is unclipped

a more powerfull amp will also further reduce the probability of cliping for those that get eq happy since there is that added headroom

Comment

• adrian carreon
              • Mar 2006

oic...now I know where to go but one more question if I may sorry for my question... I'm thinking of setting up a HT I have SR8500 and planning to get a Rotel RB-1080 for the fronts (stereo) and the rest will be on the receiver now is there any problem on the surrounds mode (Dolby Digital, PL , etc) when I use 2 channel amp (fronts)? or maybe might as well go for 5 channel amps instead of 2 channel?

Thanks guys for your help and quick response! I really appreciated it.

Comment

• titan7
                • Dec 2005

Go RB-1080. My Monitor Audio GR-10s are rated at 100 watts per channel and I never get the volume on my RC-1070 pushing the RB-1080 above the 9 o'clock position.

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

Dynaudio speakers require more current then your receiver has to sound there best. If you like your receiver, then adding a power is a good way to go. I suggest the RMB1095 if you can swing it. Your budget is around a grand so used you could probably find one around 1400.00 if your willing to spend alittle more and get alot more.

I didn't care much for the RMB1075 driving my Dynaudio Audience 82's. The RMB1095 seemed more airy and natural. The effortless tone sold me on the higher end more powerful and crazy heavy amp.

I use Dynaudio Audience for home theater as well.I'm also considering getting the Dynaudio Sub500 to finish it off.

Good luck,

Dan

Comment

• Rod S
                    • Mar 2005

I compared both prior to buying the 1080 however, the listening session wasn’t terribly critical or controlled; different rooms, speakers etc. There were three key points that made me choose the 1080.
                    Firstly the 1080 seemed, to me, to be more controlling of the speakers at lower/moderate listening levels and offered more detail at these levels.
                    Secondly, I know I will want to upgrade my speakers at some point and the 1080 will do a better job with more demanding speakers due to the additional power.
                    Thirdly, buyers remorse; I didn’t want to feel the need to upgrade within a short time frame when I could just get the best equipment I could afford and justify without completely blowing my budget.

Comment

• adrian carreon
                      • Mar 2006

Thanks guys for you inputs on this... probably I'll get the RMB-1095 so that all my speakers will have the power that they need it. Unless its not worth to do it for HT, much better go for the 1080 for the mains and live the rest for the receiver huh? what do you think guys?

Cheers!
                      Thanks !

Comment

• marekk
                        • Jun 2005

Yeah - leave it to the receiver. I did it, I love it, and 1080 does the trick for music, while the receiver powering the rest 3 speakers is enough balanced, sonic, etc. - my 2c

Comment

• adrian carreon
                          • Mar 2006

Marekk,

Thanks for your info on this. I just heard from my friend that better to use 5 channel amps instead on 2 channel so that it will be balance specially if the sensitivity from the speaker are the same, is this true? I kinda lost in here? Sorry for my weird question.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"