X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

1080 and B&W 704 - what do you think?

Hi all, (am posting here as well as Club B&W) I own an RCD-1072, an RC-1070 and an RB-1080. Now, it's time to get a pair of really nice speakers.

I have looked at (listended to) several, including VAF Research (I-66), Sonus Faber GPs, Paradigm, Dynaudio Audience 72SE & KEF Q7. For a long while, the I-66 has been at the top of my shortlist ($4200 Australian). About 2 weeks shy of ordering, I decided to take a final look around. Why didn't I investigate B&W sooner?

I listened to a pair of 704s ($4000AU) with an HK receiver and thought they were fantastic. The next logical step is to take my own electronics in and my own music for an audition.

As I do not have time to do this for a few weeks, and there aren't too many posts about the 704s with Rotel gear (and I am excited about this new possibility), could anyone with thoughts on/experience with the combo chime in and let me know what they think?

Cheers, Ben
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

similar setup

I have the following:

RCD1072
    RC1070
    RB1070
    B&W N804

I am sure that others will tell you that the RB1080 would be a better pick, but I am happy with what I hear...can always upgrade later.

Take a listen to the 804 before deciding on the 704. After hearing the difference, I had to have the 804. I listen to mostly jazz/classical (I save the rock and roll for the drive home in the car). I thought that it was worth the additional price, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the response shep, my only problem with the 804s is cost - I am budget limited to about $4500AU Max (this is almost double what I was originally planning to spend on a pair of speakers). I did listent to the 805s and liked the higher levels of detail, but I am really after a pair of floor standers at this stage.

I've heard some people like the 703s a lot better than the 704s, but I liked that the 704s never seemed to sound agressive when the volume was turned up.

Cheers, Ben

Comment

• Mitchell
        • Sep 2004

Ben,
        I have your exact setup including the RT02 tuner. I originally started looking at the 704's. They were in my budget and I generally liked their sound. However, upon further listening I found the 703's a big improvement.
        If I remember correctly, 703's are a true 3 way in contrast to the 704 which are a 2 way. The bass and midrange just seemed better to me.
        I stretched my budget and went for them and am happy with the choice.
        I hope this is helpful.
        Mitchell
        Mitchell

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

Thanks, Mitchell, I will have to audition the 703s I guess - something which I had hoped I would not have to do, as these things inevitably end up causing the budget to stretch further - 703's retail at $5700AU here.

Also, how do you find your RC-1070? I find mine to be good, whereas I find the 1072 and the 1080 to be excellent. I have this nagging feeling, that if any part of my system is letting me down, the 1070 is (a feeling which I am trying to put out of my mind - I haven't even finished putting the system together yet. Surely upgraditis cannot stike yet..... can it?).

Comment

• Mitchell
            • Sep 2004

Hi Ben,
            The overall package sounded right to me when I auditioned it. I listened to many combinations and when I finally hit on one that sounded great at a price I could afford I just pulled the trigger.
            I considered upgrading the preamp and the amp to the next level but the budget had already ballooned. At some point I think, you just have to draw the line. Even the 1080 which I love, is a compromise. I heard equipment by "Naime" and "Macintosh" which sounded better. Of course they were SIGNIFICANTLY more money.
            I hope this is helpful.
            Mitchell

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

I, too, have auditioned the 704 and was about to purchase the 703 when my saleman convinced me to listen to the 804. I was astounded plus they were discounted because of the D series coming out. I was able to get them for $1400US each. I had negotiated the 703 to $1300US ea but for the $100 difference I could not pass them up the 804. I have a RC-1070 & RB-1070 plus a Denon DCM 370 changer. Looking to replace the Denon with the RCC-1055. Any comments on the 1055? I like the convenience of a changer.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"