X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barebum
    • Mar 2006

1056 vs 1067

I'm looking to upgrade. I'm very interested in the two recievers rotel has. Looking at there spec sheets they look identical except one has 7 channel amp and the other a 5. is there any difference between the two in terms of sound quality. or is the amp section the only difference. I already have external amps. So 7 or 5 channels isn't an issue.

Also my main goal for my system is HT. I don't listen to a lot of music. I run axiom speakers too. So is rotel geared toward Ht or music. So since my main goal is ht is rotel the right choice. Or should i go with denon. Anybody that has had a chance to listen to these rotel recievers and compare them to others for ht. any thoughts would be very helpful.
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

If you have external amps, then buy a RSP1068. If I where to choose between the 2, I would get the 1067. I fell in love with Rotel with the older rsx1065. It's a great receiver.

Dan

Comment

• barebum
      • Mar 2006

What i'm really looking at is whats the difference. the recievers look like the same units except the amp section. Also Using the 1056 as dedicated pre pro i've read that its sound quality is on par with the 1068. So is spending an extra 1300 hundred worth getting the 1067 instead of the 1056. When 7 or 5 channels doesn't matter.

Comment

• abe1877
        • Mar 2006

i am actually looking at the 1067 vs the 1056 too. I have a 5.1 system myself and have no intention of upgrading to a 6.1 or 7.1 soon either. Also, the multi room capabilty doesn't really interest me too much.

my only concern is the "hissing" sound many people complain about on the 1056. also, i wonder if the added power of the 1067 is worth it. i believe the 1067 has 25w more per channel.

i have a set of cabasse speakers. has anyone heard of them? good bad? i got a great deal on a new set so i decided to purchase them. i wonder if one would be better for these speakers. any advice would be appreciated as well.

Abe

Comment

• stantheman2
          • Apr 2004

I just added a Rotel 1075 amp to my Rotel 1056 receiver, and I am VERY pleased with the sound (see my post in the HT section). That combo is about the same price as a 1067. Those separates could really compare well to a 1067, and you would still have 7 channels (redirecting the two front amp channels on the 1056). Note also that, while my 1056 has never had a hiss I found objectionable (I could only hear the hiss 18" or less from the speakers), adding the 1075 seemed to cut the hiss in half.

Comment

• shades
            • Mar 2005

I too have the 1056 and it is very pleasing for me. I run a bryston 3bst for my 2chan listening. I would consider the 1068 as seperates is the way to go but if your not interested in seperates the 1056 IMO is the way to go. I demoed the the two when i started and seen no benefit with 1067 over the 1056. Other than the 25wpc it just wasn't enough to justify the price.
            B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• barebum
              • Mar 2006

thanks for the input. thats what i needed to hear. looking at the two recievers spec wise there the same except the amp section. When you guys were shopping around for your recievers did you have a chance to compare the rotel to other ones like denon. How did they compare for ht.

Comment

• fordster
                • Feb 2005

When I bought my RSX-1056 I compared it to the Denon 3805. My interest was more about the musical performance that HT but obviously I wanted that to be good too. My experience was that the Rotel had much better clarity and sounds were more realistic but I thought the Denon did surround steering better (it panned effects slightly quicker and more accurately). Hope that helps.
                Dave

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

I am not 100% but I think th 1067 amp is not onl more powerful but better then the amp in the 1056. It makes reference to it being a toroidal transformer, and the 1056 does not. Can someone confirm?

Is the processing in the 1067 the exact same as the 1056?

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
                    I am not 100% but I think th 1067 amp is not onl more powerful but better then the amp in the 1056. It makes reference to it being a toroidal transformer, and the 1056 does not. Can someone confirm?

Is the processing in the 1067 the exact same as the 1056?
                    As far as I remember that's true. However IMO if I was picking between the two units I'd likely go with the 1056 and an external amp over the 1067 myself
                    Jason

Comment

• rick c
                      • Aug 2004

IMHO, the 1056 plus an amp would outdo the 1067 and also be less costly.

Comment

• stantheman2
                        • Apr 2004

Hey Rick C, I second that. I've got B&W 600 series 2 (same models as yours) and the same DVD player, all through a 1056. I just added the Rotel 1075 amp last weekend (new, 10% off list) and it is a SIGNIFICANT sonic improvement, even at low to moderale levels.

Comment

• barebum
                          • Mar 2006

thanks for all the info. i'm going to go demo a 1056 and a denon 3806. both are almost the same price. i'll post to tell you which one i pick up.

Comment

• barebum
                            • Mar 2006

well i just got back from the audio store. Well i'm kind of torn betweent the two. I found the rotel to be better with music no doubt there. but for movies it wasn't that much of a difference. Anybody else have it seem that way to. So its a toss up. I really like both. If i was a big music listener it would not even be a choice. But since there very close in ht i'm really conflicted. Thought i would be done today. Yet i'm more confused now then before.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

That's generally the concensus

But I'm confused.... They're about the same for movies as you mentioned but the Rotel's noticeably better at music.... what's the dilemma? :scratchhead:
                              Jason

Comment

• gianni
                                • Nov 2002

barebum,

I would bet that if you go with the Rotel your viewing / listening habits will change. You will find yourself listening to more music and enjoying it. I'm sure others here will chime in having experienced this - there have been many posts supporting this.

As previously mentioned: where is the dilemma? The Denon is a nice piece but the Rotel will add another dimension to the enjoyment you get from your system. Trust me - it will happen to you too.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gianni
                                  barebum,

I would bet that if you go with the Rotel your viewing / listening habits will change. You will find yourself listening to more music and enjoying it.
                                  VERY true :yesnod:
                                  Jason

Comment

• stantheman2
                                    • Apr 2004

So very true. I spent years and many $$ on two-channel audio, for the pure enjoyment of music. I moved into HT about 10 years ago. Up to two years ago, I was running a Denon 2700 receiver (rated 80w/ch). During my time with the Denon, my music listening declined to maybe 5-10%. I thought it was simply changing tastes on my part. However, since I replaced the Denon with a Rotel 1056 receiver (rated 75 w/channel) two years ago, my music listening went up to maybe 40%, and I sometimes spend whole evenings exclusively listening to music. With the Denon, I never spent more than about 30 minutes at a time on music. In retrospect, it was classic listening fatigue with the Denon, cured by the Rotel.

Now with movies, the difference is less significant, but that is probably due more to sonic limitations of the highly compressed HT audio. However, on good Dolby Digital or DTS source material, the Rotel still outshines the Denon.

Comment

• barebum
                                      • Mar 2006

i have about 10 cds to my name. Most of which haven't been used since my high school days. Just to give you an example snoop dog doggystyle, live. They sounded good back then but i can't stand them now. I have about 150 dvds now and thats my main hobby. I really don't see myself getting into music. I too found the rotel a little better for ht as a while. just a little. But the denon has a nice eq set up that would help me a lot in weird sized Ht room.

Comment

• nikos
                                        • Dec 2005

If you're 99% HT, denon will probably fit you best. They really have a great features set and the room eq included for the money.

In a general consencus the Denons beats Rotel at features....and Rotel beats Denon for sound quality.

If the 1056 wins you over...try and hold off just a few more weeks as its replacement is around the corner that is the exact same unit plus 2xHDMI inputs that you will want in HT.(there are other threads about the 1056 replacement on this forum)

Rumor has it it might show up in April....or you might squeeze some $$$ out of your dealer to give you the "older" version at a descent discount.....
                                        By the way....does anyone have any new info on the 1056 release date...
                                        or are they waiting to sell out of the older version before shipping the new??

In that case....by all means go ahead and buy the 1056 NOW from your dealer to speed things up for the rest of us.

Nikos
                                        Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Kevin D
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

The 1056 is currently out of stock at the distributor. So expect the 1057 available as soon as possible.

Kevin D.

Comment

• nikos
                                            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the update. :T

When you see the new version available, please please share with us.

Nikos
                                            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• barebum
                                              • Mar 2006

thanks for the update. i'm waiting to see there new line come out then. Thanks for that. i had no idea they were coming out with a new line. I would have been very upset to buy there old line and a week later the new ones come out. I can't belive the dealer didn't mention this. Must have been trying to get rid of his current stock.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2002

This isn't the 'new line' per se.. Just a small update to the 1056 adding HDMI switching. The 'new line' of stuff is still a ways out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• nikos
                                                  • Dec 2005

I forgot to ask...is there a small price increase for the added HDMi or are they keeping the price the same?

Nick

Comment

• aud19
                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                    This isn't the 'new line' per se.. Just a small update to the 1056 adding HDMI switching. The 'new line' of stuff is still a ways out.

Kevin D.
                                                    Aaaah that makes more sense.

I thought i'd heard fall of this year for the 1098 replacement with the 1068/1067/1056 units to follow at later dates... so I was a bit confused there!
                                                    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by nikos
                                                      I forgot to ask...is there a small price increase for the added HDMi or are they keeping the price the same?

Nick
                                                      I think so, but haven't seen any pricing yet.

Kevin D.

Comment

• abe1877
                                                        • Mar 2006

i was questioning whether i was going to get the 1056 or the 1067....i ended up buying the 1067 becasue i found a new one on ebay for the price of the 1056. im waiting to get it and it should be here this week!! hopefully, it was a good choice. it was 1380 with shipping on ebay which is less thna what i probably would have paid for the 1056 with tax if i didnt haggle.

Comment

• abe1877
                                                          • Mar 2006

also, i have a fairly long run for my surround speakers. i purchased some monster 16-guage cable for that run, but the speaker manufacturer recommends i run ~12 or 14 gage cable. Anyone know of a goodsite i can get this on or is the 16 guage good enough?

Comment

• aud19
                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by abe1877
                                                            also, i have a fairly long run for my surround speakers. i purchased some monster 16-guage cable for that run, but the speaker manufacturer recommends i run ~12 or 14 gage cable. Anyone know of a goodsite i can get this on or is the 16 guage good enough?

uuuhhh.... Monster.... That's like a 4-letter word around these parts :lol:

Try forum sponsor Cat Cables, great products/pricing and service :T
                                                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"