X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrekkah
    • Mar 2005

RB-1080 question

Well I finally added a 1080 to my 1056 to power my fronts. I am very happy. :P The question I have is more like a poll:

How do you turn on your amp?

1) use the 12V trigger to turn it on when you turn on your preamp
    2) use the front switch to turn it on and off (no 12V trigger)
    3) or do you leave your amp on all the time and just turn on your preamp

If you leave it on all the time, did it cause an increase in your electric bill? I don't see a rating in the manual for idle wattage use.

If you use the 12V trigger, have you had the fuse blowing problem discussed in other posts and what has solved this problem for you.

Cheers,
    Aaron
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

My vote is to not use the 12V trigger; turn on as you need to use it.

Comment

• DL86
      • Sep 2005

I leave mine on all the time. I only turn the pre-amp on/off.

Comment

• Rod S
        • Mar 2005

I leave the RB1080 on and put the RC1090 in standby, I use the 12v trigger for the RCD 1072 and RT1080. The only time I switch the 1080 off is when I'm leaving the house for a day or more.
        I decided to leave the amp on as I noticed the sound would get fuller and the bass tighter after around 20-30 minutes of listening. I assumed this was due to the amp warming up. Now I think the sound remains pretty uniform whilst listening, maybe it’s a real maybe it’s psychological……..

If my electricity bill went up, it was due to Reliant Energy not the Rotel.
        I would suspect that the impact on electricity consumption leaving the amp running idle is minimal.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

I know someone posted the power consumption for at least one Rotel amp here not too long ago. It takes more power than standby, but not as much as actively running it (as you'd expect). Also, there are several people who agree with Rod that electronics perform at their peak when they're "warm", usually taking about 20-30 minutes.

To answer the poll, I use the 12v trigger to turn on my components.

Comment

• NMG
            • Oct 2004

I turn my 1080 on with the power switch and I also turn it off when I'm not using it, I don't leave it on.

I do usually try and warm it up for 20-30 minutes before doing any serious listening though. I think it sounds warmer but that could just be my imagination as well.

Comment

• Kens1
              • Mar 2005

I leave mine on 24/7 and only switch the 1056 off and on. No increase in my power bill that I can tell.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

Hi,

I had my RB-1080 tested and at idle it used 25W - so little I just let in ton all the time (sounded better that way too!)

Geoff

Comment

• wrekkah
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for the replies so far. It's interesting that there seems to be no consensus on this although the results are leaning towards leaving it on all the time. Thanks for the test info Aussie Geoff.

Cheers,
                  Aaron

Comment

• DL86
                    • Sep 2005

It is quite true that the amp sounds better once it has been playing for 20-30 mins. I would leave the system playing some music and listen to it when it was turned on and then i would go away and come back within 20 mins or so and I can clearly hear that the sound has gained warmth and sounds more tonally correct than what it was when I turned it on, like it would sound a bit thin when it has just been turned on, then get better as time goes on.

Comment

• cfrahme52
                      • Aug 2005

I turn mine on / off using the front power switch and only leave it powered on when listening during the week. On weekends all the gear may be on 24/2.

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I leave on my RB-1080 amp, due to fuse blowing issues I experienced while utilizing the 12V trigger (which could be relative to my MIT bi-wire speaker cables, but that's another story). However, I still utilize the 12V trigger for the RMB-1095, which I try to turn on an hour prior to any critical listening.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• PhilB34
                          • Mar 2006

Guys,sorry to butt in,would my 1075 benefit from being left on to 'warm-up'?Currently I turn it on with my ax3 which I am using as a processor till I can get a 1068/98.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"