X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

Amp choice using 1056 as pre/pro?

After about a year of internal debate, I'm about ready to buy a used power amp, run thru a Rotel 1056 receiver as a pre/pro, to power B&W 600 Series 2 speakers. Two questions to others that might have done the same, or similar:

1. I'm nervous this may be a simple case of upgradeitis on my part (we've all been there), with no real benefit. What are your experiences - what benefits did you hear, and was it worth it?

2. What amp? My budget is $1K or under. That seems to limit the power increase to only 50% or so above the 1056. from my search, I have ID'd several possibilities. The Rotel 1075 is an obvious choice - others are an Anthem MCA-5 or a Parasound 1205A. The Anthem PVA-7 or B&K 125.7 are also intriguing - I only have a 5.1 setup, but I could then bi-amp my L and R mains.

Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated.
  • spinners
    • Feb 2006

You can try a 2 channel amp, like RB 1070. I have it hooked up to my 1056 and it's sweet and clean. Why would you overpower the center and surrounds? They are very good with movies as it is. For 2 ch. listening it's a different story. Then the extra power will provide you more clarity in critical listening. While watching a movie it's not about critical listening, it's about making noise.

just my opinion.
    RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• stantheman2
      • Apr 2004

My local dealer was having a sale, so I stopped in. He had the Rotel 1075 and the Anthem PVA-7 available. After discussion of the pros and cons of each amp, I went with the Rotel amp - their 7-day retun policy also put my mind at ease.

I will definitely NOT be returning the amp - I am VERY happy. Adding the amp was a significant step towards "high end" sound. More control and authority on the low end; much more detail (attack and decay) on individual sounds; and better ability to resolve complex passages, so each instrument/vocal is more distinct and easier to follow. The amp also seems to tame the slight brightness on the high end, which was my only complaint with the B&Ws.

To us a Hawaiian phrase, the sound and whole experience is "mo better"!

I'll post a picture of my new setup in the Rotel picture forum.

Comment

• mlunde
        • Oct 2005

Hm, seems I was about 5 minutes too late.

I think you made a good choice, at least over the Parasound 1205A you mentioned. I had one of those sitting here with my 1056 a couple of days ago, and it did nothing for me, on B&W604s. No difference at all.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"