X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

CA5100 and B&W speakers

Can anyone share your opinion on whether the Classe CA5100 can drive a pair of 804S as fronts and HTM3S as center in a 20x10 room. I am currently using the Classe SSP-300 and Rotel RMB1075 amp and would like to upgrade my amp to get better sound. Will the CA5100 sound much better than the Rotel if I would invest another $5000 for the upgrade. Should I try another amp ie. Anthem A5. The CA5200 is above my budget and is too heavy. Any comments?
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

It will be much better than Rotel, if you want more power try Emotiva :B
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

I agree with wettou. The CA5100 will sound much better than the Rotel. I upgraded from an RMB1077 to a CA5200, and the difference was huge.

Hopefully, the poster who goes by Vancouver will find this thread because I believe he has done the upgrade you are considering, and he can probably give you the best advice.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
        It will be much better than Rotel, if you want more power try Emotiva :B
        Have you ever personally listened to the Emotiva?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
          Have you ever personally listened to the Emotiva?
          How does one do that? Are there B&M dealers?
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            How does one do that? Are there B&M dealers?
            I guess people order them on the internet and have a trial period for in-home listening. He keeps recommending the Emotiva amps to people, but from what I can gather, he has not personally listened to them. I'm confused by his endorsement of their products!

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

I had my 5100 and SSP600 cranked to about 95 during the Olympics opening ceremonies in a room that is 13 long, 11 wide and 18 foot ceilings. It sounded spectacular.

If I were you I would buy the 5100 and know that if it wasnt enough you could easily trade it in or sell it for a 5200. On all accounts the 5100 is better then anything rotel offers IMO.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I guess people order them on the internet and have a trial period for in-home listening. He keeps recommending the Emotiva amps to people, but from what I can gather, he has not personally listened to them. I'm confused by his endorsement of their products!
                Yes I did, EMOTIVA:"We are so confident in the quality of our products that we invite you to try them in your own home for 30 days. If you are not 100% satisfied for any reason, just call us to return your product and we'll refund your purchase price. It's that simple."

I took the plunge :T and did get XPA-2 TWO CHANNEL AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER 300 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms from them, and thought it was nice enough for my secondary system. I kept it for my set-up in the gym, since it works well with my old B&W DM603 :B

I don't care for the look much! If the XPA1 was better looking I would just get that for the 802Ds

Try it out http://emotiva.com/whybuy.shtm
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Yes I did, EMOTIVA:"We are so confident in the quality of our products that we invite you to try them in your own home for 30 days. If you are not 100% satisfied for any reason, just call us to return your product and we'll refund your purchase price. It's that simple."

I took the plunge :T and did get XPA-2 TWO CHANNEL AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER 300 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms from them, and thought it was nice enough for my secondary system. I kept it for my set-up in the gym, since it works well with my old B&W DM603 :B

I don't care for the look much! If the XPA1 was better looking I would just get that for the 802Ds

Try it out http://emotiva.com/whybuy.shtm
                  I'm glad to see you decided to listen to the Emotiva amps for yourself. From what you have stated here, you did not like the Emotiva amps as much as your Classe amp? Aside from the looks, how would you compare the sound?

Comment

• style
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006

Brook,
                    we have wasted our money. the Emotiva was the answer to our research of amplifiers

I don't have never listen the Emotiva and I'm not interested.
                    I prefer go with another CA2200 ...the Emotiva is sure a good product but I don't think that can be the same like a Classe!

With a sistem with the great SSP, the CA5200 I dont' will a Emotiva the powered ma front speakers and use the CA52 for center and surround.
                    maybe the Emotiva for the surrond but the front with a great Classe will be
                    (for myself) the only possibility.

we speak always from how much watt but is the quality from this last not how much!!!

I agree with Nolan: the CA5100 is "only 5 x 10watt" but they are good watt :T

Style

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

I'm glad to see you decided to listen to the Emotiva amps for yourself. From what you have stated here, you did not like the Emotiva amps as much as your Classe amp? Aside from the looks, how would you compare the sound?
                      Well, the Classé are a great match for the 802Ds. The Emotiva are different and they need at least 400 hours on them, then I will retest them with the 802Ds, only 50 hours so far.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                        Brook,we have wasted our money. the Emotiva was the answer to our research of amplifiers. I don't have never listen the Emotiva and I'm not interested. I prefer go with another CA2200 ...the Emotiva is sure a good product but I don't think that can be the same like a Classe! With a sistem with the great SSP, the CA5200 I dont' will a Emotiva the powered ma front speakers and use the CA52 for center and surround. maybe the Emotiva for the surrond but the front with a great Classe will be (for myself) the only possibility. we speak always from how much watt but is the quality from this last not how much!!! I agree with Nolan: the CA5100 is "only 5 x 10watt" but they are good watt :T Style
                        Before you speak try it you might be surprised, :lol:
                        Last edited by wettou; 16 February 2010, 17:11 Tuesday.

Comment

• weijst
                          • Jun 2004

I went from a RSP1068/RMB1075 combo to a SSP-300/CA-5100 combo. My speakers are 805S/HTM4S/SCMS.

The Classe set is simply in a different league than the Rotel. More accuracy, warmth and control. The difference was actually larger than I hoped for. The Classe set gave new life to my speakers (or maybe I never really heard what they were capable of...).

FYI: I heard a CA-2100 powering a set of 804S during my demo sessions. No problem whatsoever!

Good luck!
                          Last edited by weijst; 08 May 2012, 12:13 Tuesday.
                          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

if you're happy I'm happy for you.

I do not put a Emotiva with my ClasseAudio ...

Especially for the main speakers.

please do not get angry. - Respect for the opinions of others

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by style
                              please do not get angry. - Respect for the opinions of others
                              Always :T You are the best ;x(

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Always :T You are the best ;x(
                                hey,
                                You are the best. this is sure and is clear as water. :roll:
                                ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Classé rules if you have the $$$ otherwise here is an amp Odyssey Audio Khartago that is used by Alon Wolf, president of Magico

One of the truly great values in high-end audio, the Khartago stereo amplifier gives new meaning to the expression “bang-for-the-buck”.

By the way for those of you don't know Magico

Redefining Ultra High-End Speaker Design & Music Reproduction.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"