X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scient
    • Feb 2005

Pairing Rotel 1056 Receiver w/ Anthem MCA 20 Amp

I have been considering a seperate two channel amp for my front Paradigm 100's for a while now and I am undecided between the Rotel RB1080 and the Anthem MCA 20. Both are 200Wpc, 2 channel amps.

My concerns are:
    1. Since the 1056 will still power the center and rear speakers, will there be a difference in sound because of a different BRAND of amp driving the front two speakers.
    2. Since Anthem and Paradigm are like Rotel/B&W will my Paradigms sound better on the Anthem than the Rotel.

Decisions, decisions...!

Any suggestions, thoughts are welcome
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

I'd guess the Anthem would be the better match, just for the reason you described. As for the amp mis-match, I think you'll notice a limited difference after calibrating, for movies. For multi-channel music, you may find a disparity.

I prefer to listen to all my music on 2-ch, so I'd have no problem with the idea. As for movies, I'd be concened about any changes between the front 3 speakers. What speakers are you running for the center & surrounds?

Comment

• johnvb
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by scient
      I have been considering a seperate two channel amp for my front Paradigm 100's for a while now and I am undecided between the Rotel RB1080 and the Anthem MCA 20. Both are 200Wpc, 2 channel amps.
      I will be in the same position as you, come this spring/summer, when I plan to trade in my Studio 20v3s for a pair of 100s.

Right now I am using a RSX-1055 (older/same version as your receiver) to drive the 20s, along with a 570 center and some Def. Tech side surrounds.

Using timbre matched front speakers, along with matched amplification, has given me the best front sound stage I have ever had. When I get the 100s, I plan on using an Aragon 8008BB amp I have at first, until I can make the same decision as you.

You could use a MCA 30 amp, for all three front speakers. I have no idea what Anthem + Paradigm sounds like, but giving they are both part of the same manufacturing group, should be the "optimum" setup.

Of all the amps/receivers I have heard with Paradigms so far (just a few, but including my Aragon), I prefer the Rotel sound the most. The 1055 gives a slightly rolled off, forgiving presentation to those intense movies that other systems would make irritating after a while. After the upgrade, I will have to decide between a new/used Rotel stereo amp, or a used Aragon for the center.

I have read of the low ohm load of the 100s, have you tried them on your 1056, was there any major problems?

Comment

• scient
        • Feb 2005

grit: My centers are Paradigm CC570's and the surrounds are Paradigm ADP470's.

johnvb: Currently my 1056 do the job fine but I suspect that my 100's could do a LOT better with more power.

One of the options is the 1080 + 1075 combo while the other more expensive option is the MCA 20 + MCA 30 combo.

Comment

• scient
          • Feb 2005

Come on guys, any suggetions?...

Comment

• Tamas
            • Jan 2006

How about an MCA50, 5 Channel amp for now.

Comment

• scient
              • Feb 2005

Thats more expensive. But that still does not answer my question of which would best power my Studio 100's. Because I think the the MCA 50 would compare to the Rotel 1095.

Comment

• cuda65
                • Feb 2005

I have an MCA 30 running my front three speakers. They are Paradigm 100 v3 and a CC570. The back are run with my current Denon receiver. I am looking at getting a AVM 30 and a MCA 20 to replace the Denon. The Anthem Amp runs the Paradigms great. I am very happy with the sound I am getting in 2ch music and in HT. If you have the space I think the seperate Amps will give you better performance. Good luck in your quest.
                Doug

Comment

• cuda65
                  • Feb 2005

The MCA 50 shouldn't be more expensive than buying an MCA 30 & MCA 20. Is that what you were refering to?
                  Doug

Comment

• scient
                    • Feb 2005

As much as I would love to get the MCA 50 dont think I can afford it at this point. I was equating the price of the MCA 50 to the Rotel 1095 in the channels driven / price range.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"