X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aaron
    • Aug 2004

Help! RSP-1068 & DirecTV Sound Issues

I have tried everything I can think of but I can't figure this out.

I have a DirecTV Tivo (Hughes branded) box connected to the Optical 1 input on my RSP-1068. The sound quality through the preamp is horrible. I have the default sound mode as "pro logic II cinema". The sound is tinny; sorta like listening to an MP3 at a 64k bitrate or sound coming through a paper cup. I have had this setup for close to a year, but only recently have I been experiencing this issue.

I've tried everything I can think of and I can't resolve it.
    *rebooted the DirecTV Tivo box
    *tried a different cable
    *I am running the latest firmware from Rotel
    *Switched to Optical 2 (no change)

My DVD player sounds fine (hooked up via coaxial).

It is the only device I have that uses toslink so I can't try something else to rule out the preamp's optical inputs as the problem. At this point I am guessing something is wrong with the Directv box or transmission. Interestingly, if I switch from Pro Logic II Cinema to Music or to any of the DSP modes it still sounds horrid. But if I switch to DTS Neo Music it seems to go away.

Any ideas where to go from here? It's driving me crazy.

The preamp needs to go in for a defective flourescent display so maybe I can ask them to bench test the optical inputs while there.

TIA.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I know the Directivo's had an issue with the optical cutting out, but I've never heard your problem before. Since it needs to go in anyway I would just have them test it.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"