X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

new DirecTV setup in house

Well, I found myself in a situation where my DirecTV receiver went out on me a couple of months ago. Now, I did have an old receiver on hand that belonged to my Sister Terry, so I transferred my service over to it after they sent me a new card. They won't let you activate a card that's been active before now. :evil: They wanted to charge me 20 bucks, but I raised enough rucus that they deferred that charge.

The bad thing is, the unit was so old, it didnt' have a Low Speed data port. well, it had one, but it didn't work like my original did interfacing with TiVo, so you could integrate cable and DirecTV on 1 set of channels, one remote. It was all messed up. I had to go over channel 100 to get directv on the TiVo remote, but then I had to transfer and use the directv remote with a difficult channel changing process.

So, I needed a new receiver. Well, as luck would have it, DirecTV just began to offer local channels in my area. they sent me a card for a 49.99 install of a new receiver and dish, package deal. I did have to agree to 1 year of total choice with locals for like 39 bucks. But I said what the hay, already paying 30, might as well go the extra for better quality local channels than cable.

So, the new dish is slightly elyptical, and has a funky looking 3 way LNB just for 1 receiver. Apparently it requires all 3 for all the locals. So, after a new setup of Tivo (about 45 minutes), I was able to integrate cable with the new dtv package. DirecTV is now putting channels below 100, not great, but they are. so, their locals go on the original call numbers of the network. Lucky for me, the cable company is different, so I have 2 channels for all 3 major networks here right in a row. Why? Well, if cable's out, I got satellite. If it's storming and sat is bad, then I can switch to cable. Best of both worlds.

The new receiver is an RCA cheapie, but hey, it does the job. I haven't done much comparisons yet, but I think it's improved the quality of my viewing. Some sit coms are pretty important to my viewing, so I'll enjoy that. (Friends, Frazier, Good Morning Miami, etc...)

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congrats Lex! There is nothing like getting back on the air in style.

I'll be glad when DirecTV allows local channels in my neck of the woods.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"