X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avab
    • Mar 2006

Pairing Rotel with Energy speakers

Hi gang,

Very new to this club, hoping to become an official member soon. I am in the market for a new Rotel RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 to pair with a set of already purchased C-7s, C-3s, and C-C1. Do any of you have Energy's paired with Rotel equipment?

Would you recommend the RMB-1075 or 1095 (200w beast) - I purchased a set of C-5s for my father which is being powered by a Denon receiver and it sounds quite good.

The reason for going for separates is that I am more of a music purist and want the cleanest sound possible.

The final question I have is: how satisfied are most of you with your Rotel equipment when it comes to home theater? I have published on other sites the question on whether to get an all-in-one receiver like the Yammy r-x2600 versus the Rotel separates, and at this point I am pretty much sold on the Rotel set.

Just wanted your opinions!

Thanks!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I've got a 1066 and 1075 running C9's front, C5's rear and a CC3 centre with no problems. Sounds great BTW but you can never have too much power :T :lol:
    Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Another music guy!!!

Welcome to the Rotel Club.

whether to get an all-in-one receiver like the Yammy r-x2600 versus the Rotel separates, and at this point I am pretty much sold on the Rotel set.

Just wanted your opinions!

Well, I hope you came here mostly for moral support, this is after all the Rotel Club, and I doubt many will speak ill of your current pursuit!

You should definitely get better SQ for stereo music with separates. I too have the RSP-1066 ( recently got it used, and I am still being amazed by it) and the 1068 is even better by the accounts within the Forum. Again, many here say Energy are a ‘made in Heaven’ match for Rotel.

I’m sure others with first-hand experience will chime in soon.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• begood
        • Oct 2005

Until recently, I had an RSX-1056 paired with the same speakers you mentioned (except I have C-R3s instead of C-3). It was the perfect match. The Energy tweeters are very revealing and can sound harsh with the wrong equipment. With the Rotel, I found the high-end to be detailed and yet smooth. The midrange sounded great as well. Since you are planning to have separates, I believe the low-end will be more pronounced and the soundstage will be even bigger then the setup I once had.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

avab,

I have gone from a Marantz av receiver Sr8200, tried adding a multichannel sony amp which improved things, then sold the receiver and got the 1068 processor.

I now have the energy speakers C9's CC1 and C1 rears.

Each step has been an improvement particularly in the 2 channel music area.

My next step is to get a Rotel amp to replace my Sony multichannel amp.

Pretty happy with each change and hope to improve further.

The energy fronts will benefit from the higher power amp, but a 1075 and a processor is still great compared to any receiver I have heard.

I have read reviews that favourably compared the energy C9's to BMW 804's which are about 2-3 times the price of the energy's, so I think they are good value for money. Especially now that they are superseeded by the Energy Reference Connoisseurr series. I dont think the C7's would be much different to the C9's.

Rotel and Energy are what I think are probably the best buys available in their price range. Mind you a receiver may be cheaper, but it may leave you wondering what the seperates would have sounded like.

Welcome Pete.

Comment

• rotel&energy
            • May 2004

avab,

I have C-9's being powered by a Rotel RB-1080 and C3s and C-C1 going through the RSX1055. The step up to the 1080 really helped the C-9s. As others have said, more power is a good thing. This is my first system and I'm very pleased.
            Christopher

Comment

• DSGCobra
              • Feb 2003

all energy here too. running 1098/1095 with C-9's fronts and c-1 rears. My only advice would be to ditch the CC-1 center and get the varitos (sp?) V2.0C for the center. It matches up well with the C-9's and blows away the cc-1.

Comment

• avab
                • Mar 2006

thank you guys!

Thank you to all for your welcome and advice.

Even tho many have combined Rotel with B&Ws, I would have to agree with Pete that the Energy/Rotel combo makes for a nice affordable pair.

That being said - I have looked everywhere for a pair of old C-9s, but Energy has stopped manufacturing them so I "settled" for a pair of new C-7s instead. Anyone have these bad boys? How do they sound?

My other big question I guess now revolves around the 2 things:
                1) there was mention that I should ditch the C-C1 center for the Veritas version - is there anything lacking in the CC1s? Do they not have enough punch? I deally I would like to buy the C-C3, but again everywhere I looked they were not in stock and Energy stopped making them.

2) Which amp to buy? More power is great - but are Energys power hungry? Would I be "better" off with the beastly 1095 or make do with the 1075???

I thought about a receiver, but you are absolutely right - I don't want to be lieft wondering.

How many of you use this setup also for HT use? How do you like it? Any features in your Rotel/Energy setup make you earn for more???

Comment

• Tha Freak
                  • Jul 2003

I have a Rotel-Energy set up for the past 12 years...

started with a Pair of Conoisseur C6 ant RC-RB970 pre/amp combo...

Now the C6 are the main speakers in my HT paired with a AC300 center and C2 (same line) for surrounds...

As of my living room 2ch set up, The C2 are curently "borowed" from the HT, by the time I get the B&W 603's :B . It will be paired with an integrated RA-971 and a RCD-991 CD player...

I will probably change the integrated for a Classé Audio amp soon...

Story made short...I like my Rotel/Energy 2ch and HT
                  - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I'd say the same about the CC1, if you can find a CC3 or the Veritas mentioned would be better.

Energy's are relatively efficient so they don't demand tons of power (Rotel's 120WPC in the 1075 is a LOT more than the "average" receivers BTW). That said if you can afford more power, by all means do it. It will give a you a touch more headroom and also last you longer if you do decide o upgrade to bigger and/or less efficient speakers down the line
                    Jason

Comment

• DSGCobra
                      • Feb 2003

I ran the 1075 with an rsp-985 and had no issues with the energy's the 1075 was more then enough power. I just got bit by the upgrade bug.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Avab, I believe the big difference some hear with the CC3 centre speaker over the CC1 centre speaker may be because the CC3 is an LCR, meaning it is suitable for use as a centre or a right or left front speaker and probably for rears as well.

I have compared LCR speakers to a normal centre speaker and yes the LCR did sound better on its own,(probably best described as a fuller sound) however when playing with the fronts running at the same time I am pretty sure the difference would not be as apparent which may mean an LCR is not necessary, or the benefits are not as obvious?

Considering that the centre speaker is meant primarily for HT use and not used for 2 channel an LCR may not be necessary especially if you have large front speakers that should give that full sound.

I find the CC1 does a good job with voices and has good clarity,it does not produce large amounts of bass nor do I really need it to, I leave this to the fronts and the sub. Few centres will produce deep bass, they are not big enough.

I am sure their are better centre speakers available but once again at the price I paid there was nothing available that came close. My centre speaker CC1 retailed in Oz for $799, I got it when the new range was being released at a irresistable $300 Australian. All I could find new for that price was junk.

Try finding a B&W centre speaker (new) for that price, LOL

As for your question on Home theatre I have heard the 1075 and it does a fine job for those at this equipment level/price point and I think you would be happy with what you hear as are most owners of the 1075 amp. However I have not heard the 1075 with Energy speakers. Read the reviews on the net for the 1075 amp, pretty impressive stuff. 150-160 watts in 2 channel.

Sure the 1095 will be a little better but, if you pickup a 1075 amp used and want to upgrade again later, you would be able to resell it with little or no loss of $.

My home theatre is close to as good as I need, a 1075 amp should do me fine with my Energys, when I get one.

PS 2 channel on the Energys is what I really like.

Pete

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Actually I reccomend the CC3 BECAUSE it's bigger and has bigger drivers. It reproduces especially lower male voices more effortlessly and more accurately than typically smaller centres like the CC1 without sounding "boxy"
                          Jason

Comment

• avab
                            • Mar 2006

where do I even begin to find CC3s??

Thanks everyone.

I agree with Pete on this one. I think the CC1 should be a fairly decent centre. Honestly, I wish I could even find a CC3 to buy...just not available ANYWHERE. Do you guys know of anyplace that might be selling this unit??

As I mentioned, I have C-7s powering my front duty and C-3s bookshelfs for rears with an SVS for a sub. My room isn't all that big so I'm hoping that the 1075 should suffice.

In a couple years when the upgrade bugs bites me in the arse...I start looking around for an Aragon, or Parasound....(sigh)...time to stop dreaming!

Thanks again!!

avab

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"