X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickfaldo
    • Apr 2003

RSP-1066 & phono input

Howdy: Well, after all these years, decided it was time to drag out the old phono and listen to some fine old vinyl. Got my Dual 601 serviced and cleaned, new belt and excited about my new adventure. Guess I overlooked the fact the RSP-1066 does not have a phono input/preamp...oops. Does anyone know of a quick fix for this? Can I use one of the tape inputs? I do also have a Rotel RS-875 with phono inputs but this poses a whole new set of issues with speaker connections, sub-woofer, etc.
    Sorry if this questions have been addressed a thousand times before but I have spent too much time watching HD TV and not enough time listening to music.
    Thanks for your help
    Rick
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Nope, a phono input is special. Rotel sells a phone preamp, but it's kind of middle line if you will. If you just want to relive the old days, get a cheap phono preamp somewhere. If you want some serious good sound, I'm sure a lot of people here will recommend a nice sounding, slightly less affordable unit.

In the mean time, run the phono into your other preamp, and then run the tape out of it into the 1066.. You can use it as a really big phono pre-amp!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Rael
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Nope, a phono input is special. Rotel sells a phone preamp, but it's kind of middle line if you will. If you just want to relive the old days, get a cheap phono preamp somewhere. If you want some serious good sound, I'm sure a lot of people here will recommend a nice sounding, slightly less affordable unit.

In the mean time, run the phono into your other preamp, and then run the tape out of it into the 1066.. You can use it as a really big phono pre-amp!

Kevin D.
      I run a Musical Fidelity XLP-S preamp through one of the Video Inputs on my 1068. The preamp isn't exactly cheap ($400), but it's hardly high end either. I actually got a good deal on it because I purchased it at the same time I bought the Rotel 1068/1075 combo. No preamp/processor is going to keep me away from my beloved vinyl!!

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Phono pre's from reasonable to ridiculous: http://www.needledoctor.com/

If you're on a budget, you can spend as little as $50 for one at RatShack... I've not tried them, but they're said to be serviceable.

I use a Parasound PPH-100, a surprising little overachiever at $120.

Upwards of that, look at Lehmann, EAR, Creek, Pro-Ject.

And yes, your 875 is big... but free.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"