X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PSUfan
    • May 2004

Rotel 1068 & phono preamp recommendation

Recently acquired a near mint yamaha yp-d6 turntable. I'm new to vinyl and would like any recommendations on a good entry level phono preamp. It has a stanton epoch ii cartridge on it which I believe is mm but just to be safe I was thinking I should buy a preamp with mm & mc capabilities. Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have our old Christmas records that I'd like to play and the Bruce Springsteen box set on vinyl. Who knows where it will go from there...
  • jam200
    • Jan 2009

Visit http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm#d_Phono. Esoteric makes a great little phone preamp for around $100. They are located in Wheaton, IL. Regards.

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

I am not sure if it is available in the US, but Pro-ject has some fine Phono products in their line.

The entry level Phonobox-II will probably do fine: http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...=boxes&lang=en

The is also an USB version and a better ES and Tube version.

I own the original phonobox, but after an upgrade to the Ortofone Salsa MC, I might go for the Tubebox II.
      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• chanlon
        • Sep 2003

The Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Pre-amp sounds exceptional for the price:

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Agreed.
          The CA and Project units are good values for entry-level pre's.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

These were very nice for the money when I got mine (several years ago). Since my speakers are prone to "edginess" the tube/vinyl combo worked well for me. YMMV. I would get the stylus checked out on a cartridge of that vintage before using it , also. They were very good cartridges in their day , but that was about 25 years ago. Should still sound very good if it's in good shape. Nice find!
            Some set-up info for an Epoch II:

They are indeed MM , but there were two types. The LZxx were low output and the HZxx series were high output. Now , about cleaning those albums before the stylus hits them....LOL. Welcome to Vinyl. :T
            Attached Files
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Blues
              • Feb 2011

I actually had this same vinyl bug awhile back and searched high and low for a good phono preamp, but with tubes. It was somewhat daunting to find a unit with tubes at an entry level price, but I succeeded. If you don't want tubes, then your options are much less limited than my experience. Below is what I ended up with and they even had a special. Tube preamp and upgraded power cord for a little over 400 bucks! I'm still in the breakin period, but so far I am pretty happy with my investment:

Grant Fidelity P-307:

Specifications:

•Output Voltage to Power Amp:
              •Dual outputs of either .25V or .7V
              •Distortion: <0.2%
              •Input Voltage: CD/DVD: <.25V
              •Frequency Response: 15Hz-100kHz (-2B)
              •Signal To Noise Ratio:
              •CD/DVD-Less Than 75dB(A)1kHz
              •RIAA: Less Than 65dB(A)1kHz(@10mV input)

Features:

•Heavy-Duty All- Metal Chassis and Faceplate. You can use this with your turntable and CD/DVD player.
              •Stereo RIAA Phono inputs (2.5-5mV sensitivity) on front panel, CD/DVD Stereo Inputs on rear panel, Dual Stereo Outputs-either .7V or .25V.
              •Controls include: Stereo Volume, Input Switches for CD/DVD and Phono, on-off power switch.
              •Vacuum Tube Compliment: 2 x 12AU7 and 2 x 12AX7
              •DC on Tube Filaments for ultra-low noise.
              •Removable RF interference tube covers.
              •12 lbs net weight

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                • Oct 2007

Another good budget phono pre-amp is the Musical Fidelity V-LPS.

Eloise

Comment

• PSUfan
                  • May 2004

Thank you for the recommendations. I'm in the the process of testing a few different options. For the mean while I have it hooked up via an older rotel rv-555 bookcase stereo receiver that I enjoy.

Thanks,
                  Shane

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"