X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patjoh
    • Mar 2006

Upgrade RSP-966 to RSP-1066..Questions

I have a RSP-966 processor today. I had a RB-985 but changed it to a Marantz MM-9000 power amp some time ago, mostly to get a slightly "warmer" sound.

I have ELAC 208.2 speakers, which are very revealling and sensitive to "colder", "brighter" electronics (can sound a little harsh then).

I wonder if anyone can comment on an ev upgrade to a RSP-1066 processor? Is there an overall sound improvement that is substantial? I´m mostly interested in 2ch stereo performance! And the features in 1066 is not most important. Things like imaging, extension, 3D etc

Is there a difference in character between 966 and 1066? Like smoothness, warmth/cold etc.

Thanx if anyone has comments!

//Pat
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

Are you saying you currently own the RSP-976 and want opinions on the RSP-1068, because I'm not aware of a 966 and the 1066 has not been sold new in three years.

Comment

• patjoh
      • Mar 2006

Yes, I´m talking about having RSP-966 now and considering RSP-1066. A used unit, 1066!

//Pat

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I can find no reference to the RSP-966? Was this possibly a renamed unit for the non-North America market?

If you are only interested in two-channel, and have no plans to expand to HT or desire for synthesized multi-channel 5.1 of your Stereo recordings..... instead of paying for features that you don’t want/use, why not look for a nice stereo pre-amp?

An RC-1070 or used RC995, might be an option.

Otherwise the 1066 is going to be a definite improvement. You also get component video I/O with the 1066, which is a step up in video performance also.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• patjoh
          • Mar 2006

Maybe its not a common model. It was a pre-amp version of the RSX-965 reciever, and it looks nearly the same (but no tuner). Theres a link on NA homepage, so I guess it was sold in NA: http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/RSP966.pdf

So I guess RSP-976 was its "big brother" at the time. So a RSP-976 - RSP-1066 comparision would be nice too, because an RSP-976 was an even better version than RSP-966 at the time!

And I´m a HT guy, with only 5.1 setup today, so I will go for a 5-6-7.1 processor.

//Pat

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Gotcha! The 966 certainly is old school-practically ancient in today's consumer electronics world. I don't know anything about the 966 other than it's a Rotel, so it probably delivers quality sound for HT. The 1066, which I own, probably offers more features and user options. Whether it is an improvement in sound is hard to say. Many claim the 1068 improved in sound over the 1066, but I didn't notice a difference when I compared the two.
            Hopefully, someone here has personal experience with the 966. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"