• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesa
    • Sep 2003

Rotel RSP-1066 vs 1098; RDV 1080 vs 1060; all vs Tag McLaren

Hi there,

Looking at getting a Rotel system.

I heard the RSP1066 at the dealer the other day with the RMB1095 and it sounded brilliant. I noticed the 1098 on the website and it also looks pretty cool, but was wondering if anyone had had the chance to compare them? Can you turn the TFT display off on the 1098? What are your impressions on the difference in sound? Most of my time is spent in 2ch audio but I want the ability to go multi channel down the track.

Related to this, out of the RDV 1080 and 1060, which will be better for (most of the time) in standard cds, and the occasional DVD-audio?

The other option is some seriously discounted Tag McLaren gear; an AV32R with no added options (ie no 6 channel analogue input), a 100x5r power amp (not sure how good this sounds compared to the RMB1095, and they're roughly the same price), and a CDT20R which has been slightly used. Hmm. I think the Rotel gear I auditioned sounded better than this... which was RDV1080, RMB1095 and RSP1066 all running over Dynaudios. This is partly why I'm asking - I ended up with the Tag gear because it was such a better deal but I'm thinking of taking it back and swapping it back for the Rotel stuff I listened to. As such, was hoping for a comparison between the RSP1066 and 1098 from those that have heard both; esp in relation to 2 ch audio.

Thanks!

-- james
  • jamesa
    • Sep 2003

anyone have any insights? :cry:

-- james

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Well, I'll offer an opinion based on what I've read about Tags. Some consider them to be among the finest pre-pro's ever built. I know about their recent financial woes and they appear to be making a go at it.

Nonetheless, if it was me personally, I'd go for all that Rotel gear. I really am beginning to enjoy 5 channel hi-rez recordings and would have a hard time taking a step backward to a unit which couldn't handle this aspect of home theater.

As for the 1098/1066 comparison, I haven't compared the two directly, but those who have moved from a 1066 to a 1098 generally give a glowing review as to the improvement. Me, I'm perfectly happy with my 1066 right now and made the choice to sink my extra money into new speakers. Maybe down the line though.

The TFT can be switched off, but, from what I've read, comes back on for a while after you do something like adjust the volume. Again, I don't know this firsthand as I don't own one.

Hint, hint Rotel. A moderator for Club Rotel doesn't have a 1098. Isn't that kind of like a manager at a fine clothiers wearing corderoy pants and a torn t-shirt??? Hint, hint, hint. J/K

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

As Keith mentioned above, Multi Channel is a very big buying point. As for me I own the 1066/1095 combo and listening to SACD Multi-Channel discs for me is a real enjoyment. I know that for me there is no turning back to a Pre. that does'nt have this capabilities. Plus the way that these two pieces of equipment sound together, Im very satisfied.

dave
        Dave...

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

If the Tag had analog multi-channel inputs I'd say go for it, as they've got some really nice sounding gear from what I've read. Without that though, I don't think I could honestly reccomend it. The only other concern I might have is the 100WPC of the amp. I have no idea how efficient Dynaudio's are, if they're efficient, that power wouldn't likely be a big problem. If however they're a difficult load, you might crave more power. Watts aren't the end of the story though, if they're good quality watts, it might not be a concern. As for the 1066 vs. 1098, if you spend twice the money you're going to get a better sounding pre/pro. You will probably notice more of an improvement with the 1098 in multi-channel than stereo but that's just an educated guess.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Tag has in past made some great gear but given their recent finacial trouble and questionable future I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that much on what is essentially a dead product. Also your dyn's deserve much more power then the small tag amp.

As for the 1066 vs the 1098 the 1098 sounds significantly better then the 1066 but at twice the cost it better As soon as I fired up my 1098 my jaw hit the floor on how much better it sounded but I can't tell you if the cost increase is worth it to you or not. The 1098 also offers video upconversion which for me is very useful as it allows me to run everything via a single set of component cables to my projector.

Comment

• Whistler
              • Aug 2003

The upgrade will cost you a fortune, the look is also horrible but that's my opinion .

I've heard the Tag once in a studio, before the song ended I left. It's just...

Whistler

The Mainframe
              The Mainframe

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"