X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philo
    • Feb 2006

Newbie to Rotel, need some help!

I have just started setting up my Home theatre and have started with two front speakers. They are Monitor Audios GS10s latest model, 1 up from the reference model. They are bookshelves and quite simply the best bang for buck I could get in a bookshelf, they are outstanding.
    My next purchase will be an Amp or receiver.
    I looked at getting a Denon 3805, Marantz 7500 or a Yamaha 2600, but only the Marantz had a nice neutral sound, the other 2 seemed to bright in 2 channel music.
    I will be lisening to %50CDs and %50DVD's mostly music DVD's.
    My room is 3m by about 4.5m which then opens up into a kitchen dining area.

I have heard that in order to get improved performance and sound quality, that separates were the way to go. I stumbled on an older model Pre Amp, Amp combo. The Rotel RSP 976PRE with the, RB 985Amp. This was second hand at $1800AUD which is about $1300USD. I was thinking of just getting the Pre amp and upgrading the AMP to a 1075, what would be the best option here?
    Also if I just got the 1075, couldn't I just get a cheaper receiver like the Marantz and use it as a Pre Amp.
    How does the sound differ when hooking up a dedicated AMP like the 1075 to a Receiver, do you get the Rotel sound or the Marantz sound.
    The Pre Amp for the Rotel 1068 I think, is a little out of my price range at $1700AUD and I only want to spend about $2500 all up on PRE and Amp.

I havn't heard the Rotel Amp yet, but I know that I am going to get a better sound with a dedicated amplifier, but how much?

Philo
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Mostly Music... yes!

I think any of the choices you are about to make will be good.

You won't find much love here for the music abilities of Denon or Yamaha, so look beyond them as you seem to be doing... good for movies, tho.

Marantz and Rotel have a well-earned reputation for music reproduction... a very broad characterization would be that Marantz is warm and smooth, and Rotel is detailed and deep... buzz words really -- both are very pleasing to me... you should compare directly if you can, to suit your tastes.

Marantz + Monitor Audio is one of my favorite foolproof matches.

Originally posted by Philo
    How does the sound differ when hooking up a dedicated AMP like the 1075 to a Receiver, do you get the Rotel sound or the Marantz sound... I havn't heard the Rotel Amp yet, but I know that I am going to get a better sound with a dedicated amplifier, but how much?
    Can't really quantify how much better separates will sound (20%? - 37%?), but if you regularly spend time listening to music, you'll appreciate the difference... given the level of the considered gear, it wouldn't be night and day, but you'll get that extra measure of detail and space... the Marantz receiver/pre + Rotel power amp combo will yield the Marantz sound mostly.

I also think that's the most intriguing choice, particularly with the MAs in place... you'll have a very up-to-date pre in the Marantz, which can be upgraded later as the technology grows... and a long-term power amp... all within a sane budget.

You could also do the same with a Rotel receiver, depending on pricing down there... while you're at it, make it a point to compare Rotel separates against either of their current receivers, which are arguably substantial enough to be an excellent one-box solution... for music, it really does come down to your preferences.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

I really believe separates make a difference for music based on my own experience. I came from a Rotel 2 channel receiver to Rotel separates (see my profile for my current setup) and noticed a considerable improvement.

Comment

• Philo
        • Feb 2006

I certainly liked the Marantz sound, nice and true to 2 channel music. If i get the Rotel 1075, what model Marantz would I be looking at. Would it be just the base model, would that be enough, or something with a little more juice?

Seems I am going to only have 2 speakers for a while. Is it worth looking at the 1080 and making those front 2 speakers rock. Could I leave the Rotel doing the fronts and the Marantz doing the rest in a 5.1 set-up when I get my extra speakers? Or would the centre speaker and surrounds not sound very balanced, being that the 1080 is 200wattts a channel?

What do the Rotel Receivers sound like and what is the starting price of those, bear in mind I am in Australia and everything in electrical is more expensive. For example the 1075 is $1600AUD which is $1190USD so I need to keep it to about $2500AUD all up.
        The way HDMI is at the moment may be better to get a cheaper model and wait a year to upgrade when technology has caught up.

Philo
        Last edited by Philo; 01 March 2006, 03:48 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"