X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

RSP-1066 pre-purchase advice

I have taken the advice of many of the fine folks here and am currently in the process of finalizing a deal on a used RSP-1066 as the first step in the upgrade of my 2-channel separates based system to a 5.1.

I had initially intended on finding an RSP-976 (component video was on my ‘must have’ list), but by waiting I was able to feed my coffer to the point that I was able to go for a 10 series pre/pro.

I would appreciate any input as to some of the basic questions I should have answered before I seal the deal besides “does it work when you plug it in?”. Were there different models of remotes offered, and can they all be updated to the latest software version? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Check for the lastest s/w version, the most recent software versions 1.50 and 2.26 (hold the mute button for ~ 5 sec).
    I would ensure if possible if all output and inputs work including speaker connections by testing. I believe the 2.xx version has the updgraded video board, so I would look closely at the software version (I can't fully remember though). Perhaps others will offer some advice. Just my quick thoughts.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

great info......thanks Azeke!

On the RSP-976, the latest edition was actually identified on the back panel as "V2.0". Is there any visual designation on the 1066 as to the Version?
      Is the upgraded video board considered a 'hardware' upgrade installed on later models? I am purchasing this unit via Audiogon, so all my questions will be answered by the seller before I have the chance to actually verify firsthand.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• deke
        • Dec 2005

I'd ask what remote the unit comes with. My understanding is that the older version of the 1066 comes with the RR969 and the newer w/ RR1050. From what I've read, the difference is that the newer version of the 1066 has expanded bandwidth so is better able to handle HD signals.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

For the most part, the 1050 remote (separate on/off buttons op top) does indicate a version 2 unit. The video board is upgradeable at a later date if you get an older one. Most of the time you won't notice a difference running HDTV through either version of the board.

Version 2.xx of the software will have the updated board, but 1.xx does not mean it doesn't. The 1.xx to 2.xx change was required for a chipset change, not for the video board. Both 1.xx and 2.xx will function identical. There is no sound or function advantage to having a 2.xx unit, aside from knowing it has the better video board.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Ah, the perils of buying used...

It's been a while, so I may not be remembering correctly, but was there not a bass management issue with RSP-1066 and RSX-1055?... I think the fix was simple, if the issue was problematic for anyone.

greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

True, it wasn't a bug, but the way Rotel designed it. The change was extremely easy, but only the purists with large speakers everywhere really needed to do it. Good news is all 1066's were the same in that regard, Rotel never changed the way they were produced.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Thank you so much guys!!!!

Once again, I feel confident about my choice based on the research I have invested but even more so, due to the wealth of hard earned knowledge and willingness to share it by all of you.

With two-channel music being my main concern, it sounds as though even the version 1.xx will meet my requirements; and should the video side of the equation become more of an issue down the road, ( I don't have an HD montor at this time ) I can still obtain the latest revision modifications if the unit I am hoping to soon have is in fact an earlier model.

"Ah, the perils of buying used..." Quote by gd

As the Great philosopher said: “every great journey begins with the first step”.
                I just hope I don't trip coming out of the blocks!!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Update

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  For the most part, the 1050 remote (separate on/off buttons op top) does indicate a version 2 unit.
                  Kevin D.
                  I got my 1066 this weekend. It came with a RR969 remote and is a version 2.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Good deal.. I did say 'for the most part'... Let us know if you need any help setting it up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Good deal.. I did say 'for the most part'... Kevin D.
                      Yes, so I guess I got lucky!

Let us know if you need any help setting it up..
                      Oh.... I need plenty!!!!!

But I am trying to work things out on my own, being very patient and careful. I just figured how to get audio signal from my SACD DVD player to work having hooked up only the analog RCA interconnects to the 1066; it went something like……..geeeezzz….still nothing!!!!!!…..lets see what this Mulit Thingy does…………Hey!!!!!!!!!… I can hear again!!!!!!

I’ve downloaded a copy of the manual from Rotel’s site and put it into a 3 ring binder, and it’s a good thing, too!!! I would have worn out the original that came with it by now. But if I take it to bed again, my wife said she was leaving!!!!

I will try to figure things myself first, even if it takes a while; before I pester the heck out of you guys.

The best professor I had in college always said the three ways to get an answer are; in order....

1.) the text book...
                      2.) the library....
                      3.) me

But if I tell you the answer; you won't have LEARNED anything!
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"