X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roscoe62
    • Nov 2003

RSP976 RS232 woes

Hi there!

I am trying to get my HTPC to send RS232 commands to my Rotel RSP976 but I'm not having much luck!

I purchased a PCI card that adds 2 comm ports to my PC (com3 & 4) and they show correctly in XP. I constructed the cable as outlined on this fine forum and I'm trying to use an app called Girder to send the commands. Once I understood the format the command messages needed to be in, I set one up to turn on the unit, and another to turn it off. However the 976 seems to be ignoring my commands.

Now, I'm fairly new using the serial plugin for Girder so I thought perhaps that might be an issue. After speaking with a colleague at work, I thought I'd at least try Hyperterminal to see if there's at least a connection there. Hyperterminal wouldn't even let me type anything in the window! The only way we could replicate that fault at work was to disconnect the cable. It makes me wonder whether the transmit "circuit" is faulty. If I fiddle around with some of the front panel controls on the 976, the output is shown in the Hyperterminal window which, to me, indicates that the "receive" circuit is working OK.

I have double and triple-checked the control cable, I've swapped com ports on the card, and now I'm just about out of ideas.

Can anyone tell me whether there's any way to find out where the problem might be, or is there any way to check that the 976 is even receiving my commands?

Any help is REALLY appreciated!!!!

Ross
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the forum ..Unfortunately that's way beyond my knowledge base. If you don't get any responses from here, which I would find hard to believe with so many knowledgeable people around, I'd try shooting off an e-mail to Rotel's tech support. At the very least they're super helpfull and can hopefully help you troubleshoot the problem. Also try contacting whomever you got the app Girder from.

Good Luck,

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm not familar with girdir either but there were at least a few people here programming apps to control the rotel products so hopefully one of them will be along shortly to help you out. Failing that fire an email off to mike sheehan at rotel and see what he has to say.

Comment

• Eiffel
        • Aug 2003

roscoe,

I should be able to help... as I recently configured Girder to work with my RSX-1055 (the whole thing works beauuutifully: I can show on my computer what is happening on the receiver in real time, and control the receiver from the PC transparently...enough teasing!)

I suggest you send a PM to my www.AVSForum.com mailbox (user name: Eiffel) with your email address. Once we get the communications going, I'll tell you where to send me your GML file so that I can take a look at it (If you'd like I'll send you what I did...)

Eiffel

Comment

• Eiffel
          • Aug 2003

duplicate message!

Comment

• roscoe62
            • Nov 2003

Thanks Eiffel!

I'm not convinced this is specifically a Girder issue, but I'm happy to try out some stuff to get this to work! PM is now on it's way.

Juuuust in case though, Andrew, you mentioned Mike Sheehan's name at Rotel? Is his email just @rotel.com?

BTW....thanks for the welcome! It's great to see so many satisfied Rotel users sharing information!

Cheers
            Ross

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I knew someone would come along Good luck with the problem Ross and Eiffel, let us know how it works out.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• roscoe62
                • Nov 2003

SUCCEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Loud enough? Good!

Thanks to Eiffel's help I managed to get my first command accepted last night - it'll be a breeze from here to get the rest of them going. I'm really buzzing now - I can control my HTPC and my processor from my Pocket PC.

I won't get too cocky though 'cos the next bit's even harder - getting the current volume level and other goodies to show up on the PPC.

Still nowhere near the destination, but lovin' the journey!

Cheers
                Ross

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Glad you guys got it working Enjoy the rest of the journey.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Eiffel
                    • Aug 2003

For the record, Rotel products are very sweet products to integrate in an HTPC environment controlled by Girder. The fact that they have an asynchronous interface (meaning that Rotel boxes will talk to the computer each time something happens to them) makes it easy to track status via a computer. This allows to put your rotel equipment in a different room or a closed, among other things.

Rotel products also use a fairly consistent communication protocol. Adapting an existing Girder script to another Rotel component is thus a relatively simple process.

Eiffel

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"