X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpt
    • Jan 2004

Parasound or Rotel preamp?

I'm currently using a Marantz SR4200 receiver as a preamp (NAD C270 amp and Energy Veritas v2.1 speakers) for 2 channel music. I'd like to use the receiver in another room and replace it with either a Parasound P/HP 850 or Rotel RC 1070 preamp. I've read positive reviews on both and specs seems comparable. The price is right for the Parasound ($250 at audioadvisor) but I must admit the Rotel ($500 locally) looks cooler and the remote is a plus. Would welcome your thoughts on component compatibility, sound, build quality, etc. Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome rpt

Both Parasound and Rotel make fine products. The best advice I can offer you, is to listen to both and see which you prefer and base your decision on that primarily and features, cost and appearance as secondary considerations.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• snazzy
      • Jun 2003

rpt,
      I too have the SR4200 and am in the market for a new stereao amp and preamp. I have magnepan 1.6's. I am not sure if i am going to go with the 1070 & 1080 combo or get the P/HP 850 and HCA1500A combo. Fromhat I've listened the rotel is a bit brighter and detailed, but the parasound is smoother sounding. In my onpinion the parasound pre would be a better match wiht the NAD 270, but I've never actually heard the two together. What is the make of your CD player? Cables? Let me know what your experience has been because I am about to get one of the two combonations.

Comment

• rpt
        • Jan 2004

Snazzy, thanks for your feedback. I have a Sony M555ES jukebox w/ Blue Jeans interconnects. I'm going to audition to the Rotel tomorrow but won't be able to A/B them. Will let you know. I've also considered upgrading my amp to either a Parasound A23, B&K ST125.2 or Rotel RB1070...will it ever end??
        Rob

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"