Very Strange Video Problem with RSP1068.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Very Strange Video Problem with RSP1068.

Hello all,
    I'm having a very strange problem with passing progressive video. I assigned the DVD player (Pioneer Elite dv47a) to V2 in progressive, DVD player is set to progressive, my HDTV can except the Progressive signal. What happens is the rsp1068 will not pass the video unless I first open up the main menu on the rotel and then shut it off. Then the DVD video will pass. Very strange. if I unassign Progressive to to V2 on the Rotel , the DVD video passes but the onscreen display comes on when turning up and down the volume, video smeared.

This also happens with Xbox which is also send Progressive switched on the Rotel.

Any Ideas?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

That was an issue fixed in one of the updates I believe. Hold down mute and let us know what it says on the front display.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Kevin,
      it says V1.1.9-041011

I assume thats the software version?

mantis

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I read on Rotels website about all the sofware upgrades and they didn't mention anything about my problem. If you have anything else, it's more then welcome.

mantis

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The actual fix I was thinking of happened in 1.1.7:

V1.1.5 to V1.1.7 - Corrected a bug causing no progressive component video passthrough on initial powerup when OSD is set to off.

So your unit at 1.1.9 should have the fix, but it's doing EXACTLY what's described.. I would call Rotel and see what they say since this is a known issue. Perhaps it was unknowingly broken in 1.1.9 and added back in a later version. Upgrading to 1.2.2 wouldn't be a bad idea anyway (and a good place to start).

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Thanks for the advise. Will do.

mantis

Comment

• Marlboroman
              • Aug 2005

I think that is one of the reasons that the Rotel support guys never authorized 1.1.9 to be put into the units, if my memory serves me. I would just install the latest version and see if it corrects the issue.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

I plan on doing the upgrade tonight. I hope it fixes the issue. It's just right now my rotel seperates are very annoying with this and the damn 1095 buzz, noise I got.

thanks guys,

mantis

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Disconnect your cable line from your system, does the buzzing stop, if so, you have a ground loop issue with your cable and can be easily fixed.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    Disconnect your cable line from your system, does the buzzing stop, if so, you have a ground loop issue with your cable and can be easily fixed.
                    Actually thats the first thing I tried. thanks anyway, I send Rotel a email about all my issues. My system is less then a year old. They didn't return my email yet. It's been 2 days. If they don't reply by tomarrow, I'm gonna contact them.

mantis

Comment

• DelRay
                      • Jun 2004

Mantis. Was wondering if you've used a seperate ground wire to the body of the 1095?

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

No I have not tried that. I wonder if it will work? I shouldn't have to do this though and sitting here thinking about it slighty angers me.

mantis

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Well after alot of troubleshooting , upgrading the rsp 1068 software to 2.2 the video still does the same thing and the sound sucks. the crackle/hiss hum sound really is annoying. I'm not one to jump to conclusions but I'm starting to think Rotel isn't that good. I have owned B&k in the past and I had popping problems but it only happened when changing the channel on my hdtv dss receiver. When I switched to hdtv cable, I didn't have the popping problem anymore.

This is very fustrating. I tried every damn thing. Rotel gave me troubleshooting tips and I performed them all before the replied to my email.

Anyone have any other Ideas before I send them both back?

mantis

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Aha! This is the first time I heard you describe the noise as a crackle. That's the word that always comes up on units that have a bad digital board that effected some units. You need to send it in, or depending upon how old it is, get your dealer to exchange it. Hopefully a new unit will fix your video issues as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Kevin,
                              do you think it's the preamp just sending the bad signal to the amp or are you saying take back both pre and amp?
                              The best way to describe the sound is when you tune in a radio station, then drive under a bridge and the sound turns to static, then tunes back in when you drive out. basically like a poorly tuned in radio station. That sound you get, the static sound , crackle, not a hiss or could be, it's not as loud as the radio but it's there in the sound. If you pause it, the sound stops, press play and when the sound goes into highs, this is where you hear it most.

Thanks in advance,

mantis

Comment

• grit
                                • Jan 2005

I'll hazard a guess and tell you it's the preamp, but if you are in doubt, try testing a 2-ch source via the analog bypass and see if you still have that sound.

Also, you said this problem occurred with 2 separate sources on 2 separate inputs? Just wanna make sure we can eliminate the DVD player as well as a particular input on the back of the preamp.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Yup, preamp is most likely the only thing bad. Like Grit said, if it's happening on multiple digital sources, that's probably it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jun 2004

I did the upgrade to 2.2 and my video problem is still there. I did the eprom, reset to factory default then re calibrated the entire system. I even changed from Digital coax to Optical from the Cable box to elimate any metalic connection. Video from the cablebox goes straight to the Tv VIA HDMI.

I'm thinking it has to go back.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"