Rotel amp for driving 4 ohm sub? Alternatives?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SQconstable
    • Mar 2005

Rotel amp for driving 4 ohm sub? Alternatives?

Does anyone here use a Rotel amp to drive a subwoofer? I've got a 15" DVC that can handle 1000w RMS and 2000w peak. The specs are here: http://www.crucialconcepts.com/cc/Ro...20rfr3115.html

Yep, it's a car audio sub but it sounds amazing in a big sealed enclosure. Currently it's on a nasty (not good) OLD QSC amp and it needs more power and better looks! I'm trying to find a high quality amp for not much more than $700 that will handle 4 ohm mono bridged.

I was looking at the RB-1070 but it will only handle 8 ohm mono. Is anyone using this amp in 4 ohm mono still? Yeah, of course it's not recommended.. gotcha.

If not Rotel, what else are you guys using for powering passive subs?

I'm using the RMB-1095 with the RSP-1068 and passive studio monitors for the rest of the setup. I have previously used subwoofer plate amps, but I want to start using separates like the rest of my setup. Some people are recommending the Crown K-1 and K-2 but I don't want to spend that much. Although I am sure they'd sound amazing, there has to be something almost as good for less. If anyone has something personally they'd like to sell, private message me since this isn't the buy/sell forum
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

In order to drive a 4 ohm load bridged, you'll need an amp that's rated for 2 ohms unbridged. None of the Rotels can do this, I don't believe. Newer QSCs can, and a number of other pro amps can.

Comment

• SQconstable
      • Mar 2005

Right, I'm aware of the rules for impedance on stereo vs. bridged, but I thought since the RB-1090 was stable to 2 ohms stereo it could do 4 ohms bridged and maybe there were other Rotels capable. However, it seems that the 1090 can't be bridged. It is 2 ohm stable though:
      "The RB-1090 is stable down to
      2 ohms and delivers peak power in excess of 1,500 watts per
      channel under these demanding conditions." mm that sounds sexy! Too bad they don't have a bridgeable amp other than the 1070 but that's ok cause bridging does cause THD to rise.

Hmm... I just saw the RB-1091 on Rotel's site which is a Class D monoblock for 1000w in 4 ohm! I may just have to pick that up! The WAF (wife acceptance factor) for having all matched gear would totally fly with that addition

Gotta see if my store carries this

Comment

• SQconstable
        • Mar 2005

Wow the store sells the RB-1091 for $1499. It better sound really good for that price hehe. I'd be cool with even a less expensive half-power mono Class D. The 1091 has a freq response from 10Hz - 40KHz so I see it's not made specifically for subwoofers but suitable, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"