Wiring 2 different set of speakers with different ohm's??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thea-masta
    • Feb 2009

Wiring 2 different set of speakers with different ohm's??

Ok, so i was reading through some articles about matching speaker ohms to amp ohms and come across some quite frightening facts..the question im going to ask is, How do i connect 2 8ohm speakers and 2 4ohm speakers to a 4 channel amp?
    on the back of the amp its says ' CAUTION each speakers impendance is 8ohms at A+B position' i know i can have either speakers A or B on but does it change the impendance or something and will it damage my amp if not wired correctly?

sorry i having trouble putting this into words as its quite confusing.

If anybody can help me i would be much appreciated, and if you need any pictures just let me know.
    _________
    Jon. opcorn:
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Ok, first question, is this "4 channel amp" really 4 separate channels or is it a 2 channel amp with A and B speaker outputs?

If it's 2 channel with A & B, do a quick test. Connect a pair of speakers to the A outputs. Leave the B outputs disconnected. You should hear the speakers when the selector switch is in the A position, and silence in the B position. But what happens when you move the switch to the A+B position? Do the speakers still play, or do they go silent?

If they still play, the A and B outputs are in parallel, so if you have 8 ohm speakers connected to both A and B, the amp will see a 4 ohm load with both sets of speakers on. If the back panel says "use 8 ohm speakers minimum with A+B" then the amp is designed to handle a 4 ohm load. But you won't want to use 4 ohm speakers in this configuration, as this will overload the amp, plus the 8 ohm pair will play really softly since the 4 ohm pair will draw most of the power. Running an 8 ohm speaker parallel with a 4 ohm speaker will present a 2.67 ohm load on the amp, which is too much (too low an impedance) for most amps.

If the amp goes silent in the A+B position, the speakers actually get connected in series in the A+B position. In this instance you can run 4 ohm speakers in A+B, since then the amp would see an 8 ohm load, or in your example of 1 pair of 4 ohm + 1 pair of 8 ohm, it'll see a 12 ohm load. The speakers won't play as loud, but they'll play and the amp won't fry, overheat or shutdown.

Comment

• Thea-masta
      • Feb 2009

Hey, i did the test and when i turn speakers B on sounds keeps playing from A. On the back of the amp it says when i have both speakers A+B switched on its 8ohms' now what i was wondering, is it safe playing music through speakers A (which are both 4ohms each) and through speakers B (which are 8ohms each).

Also is there a way to get all speakers at 4 ohms too make it louder?
      _________
      Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

If speaker A still plays in the A+B position with the B speakers disconnected, then you're presenting a parallel load on the amp, and with 4 + 8 ohm speakers, the amp will see a 1/(1/4+1/8) = 2.67 ohm load. This will overload the amp, especially if you turn the volume up.

If the amp says "A+B 8 ohms" that means the amp can handle a 4 ohm load, so you can drive 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers, or 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers. But running anything < 8 ohms in parallel will result in something below 4 ohms to the amp which will overload it.

I see 4 options if you want to run the 2 pairs of speakers together: (1) replace the 4-ohm pair with a set rated at 8 ohms, (2) add a 2nd amp, so each amp has 1 pair of speakers on it, (3) get a speaker switch box with built-in impedance protection, or (4) if you're always going to use both pairs, wire them in series and connect to the A outputs only.

Comment

• Thea-masta
          • Feb 2009

Ah, thats kinda left me up s**t creek then....im guessing the damage is done my DM110i's dont seem to have the ''oomf'' they used to have. :cry: :cry: :cry:
          _________
          Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Are the DM110i speakers the 8 ohm pair, or the 4 ohm pair?

Unless you overheated the amp, you didn't damage anything permanently. Run the DM110i by themselves and you should get the "oomf" back.

I edited my above post and added 2 more options you can try.

Comment

• Thea-masta
              • Feb 2009

The Dm110i's i measure at 7.4 (8ohm) and the acoustic solutions are 3.7 (4ohm), but i just noticed on the back of the av-120's it says 4-8ohms???
              _________
              Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

That just means the AV-120s fall somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms depending on frequency.

You'll probably find that the DM110is drop in volume more when you switch to A+B, because the AV-120s are drawing more power from the amp.

Are you planning to run the speakers together (A+B) all the time, or will you sometimes be switching to just A or B? If you're planning on staying in A+B all the time, try wiring the speakers in series and see what happens:

1. DM110i (+) wire to A speaker (+) terminal on amp
                2. Splice DM110i (-) wire to AV-120 (+) wire, with a wire nut or electrical tape
                3. AV-120 (-) wire to A speaker (-) terminal on amp

Set speaker switch to A. Give it a listen and see how it sounds.

Comment

• Thea-masta
                  • Feb 2009

Well ive wired 1 of each speaker and i can notice a considerable amount off bass in the DM's now, but, is this good for the amp? should it perform better than it did?
                  _________
                  Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

It's not the ideal solution but wiring in series puts less load on the amp. The impedances are added together, so 4 ohm + 8 ohm = 12 ohm.

When you had them in parallel, it was loading the amp harder (it was seeing <3 ohm load), plus with one pair at 4 ohms was drawing most of the power so the DMs weren't getting as much, causing the loss of volume/sound quality in the DMs.

If it sounds ok to you, it won't hurt anything. The ideal solution is separate amps/channels for each pair, then there's no interaction or interference between the DMs and AVs at all.

Comment

• Thea-masta
                      • Feb 2009

Yh i think im going to invest in an amp for the Av's, trouble is..which one
                      They are acoustic solutions av-120, if you could find an amp suitable for these nothing extreme, that would be excellent, as im an amateur into home hi-fi

But thank you soo much for your help and preventing further damage to my hardware! :T
                      _________
                      Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Thea-masta
                        • Feb 2009

Wow, followed your wiring advice, and by god does it kick out some power now..
                        _________
                        Jon. opcorn:

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Success! :banana:
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"