X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gc8ej25
    • Nov 2007

Bridged RB1070 for HTM3S?

The recommended power for the HTM3S is 50-250W and I have an RB1070 available to power it. In bridged mode, this amp puts out 330W at 8 ohms. Is this overkill or damaging for the speaker if the levels are within reason? Thanks in advance, guys.
  • Mig17
    • Jan 2008

I did brigded my 1070 what I found that I had a bit more dynamic but the sound quality was not imporoved

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Also keep in mind that by bridging you will introduce more harmonic distortion.

Comment

• gc8ej25
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by miner
        Also keep in mind that by bridging you will introduce more harmonic distortion.
        I remember hearing about this but I'm not sure what it means.

Comment

• cug
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gc8ej25
          I remember hearing about this but I'm not sure what it means.
          That means that you get not 1/10000 of the distortion the speaker has, but 1/1000 ... or so. Actually: it doesn't matter at all, because your ear can't hear any distortion below 1%. And even a bridged amp is normally way below 0.1% distortion.

"Clipping" is normally defined as 1%. That is the point where you start hearing it and when the amplifier might start damaging your speakers.

Comment

• gc8ej25
            • Nov 2007

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. So is 330W too much power for the HTM3S?

Comment

• Antus
              • Apr 2008

there is no such thing as too much power. a 1000W amp doesn't output 1000W all the time. when someone is listening at the same sound pressure level, a 1000W amp's output Wattage is exactly the same as a 10W amp.

but because music has up and down. so if you listen to music at average of 80db, the music can swing from 30db to maybe 120db. at 30db, every amp can do equally well. but on those few second of 110db, a big amp will deliver enough power. (as more dynamic)

when u bridge a 8ohm amp. internally, the amp is running both channel at 4ohm but in series. "usually" amps are optimized for 8ohm thus have the lowest distortion. some speakers can go down to 3ohm. in that case, a bridged amp will be running 1.5ohm in series. Not every amp have low distortion at such low impedance. (as more distortion)

so depends on what type of music u listen to and the speaker/amp u have, bridge amp may or may not benefit.

Comment

• cug
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by gc8ej25
                Okay, thanks for clearing that up. So is 330W too much power for the HTM3S?
                You can damage a speaker easier with an amplifier that doesn't have enough power than with one that has "more than enough". Distortion (clipping) kills the amp way easier than current.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"