X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hap35
    • Jan 2006

RSX-1067 and bi-amping front speakers

I am, reluctantly, going to have to sell my Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combo and need to downsize, all due to space considerations in a new house. I like the Rotel sound and it works well with my speakers, NHTs. I am looking hard at the RSX-1067 receiver, as space-wise it will fit in the space available for components in my new place.

Here's my question. I only have a 5.1 setup and the center rear channels on the RSX-1067 would therefore be unused. I was wondering if I could use the 2 center rear channels to bi-amp my main left/right speakers, NHT VT2.4 towers, each with a side-firing sub. Seems a shame to waste that extra power and from what I have read the VT2.4s shine when bi-amped.

Has anybody out there tried re-routing the RSX-1067 center rear channels and using them to bi-amp your front speakers? Can it be done, and if so what did you think of the results?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Hap
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Hap35
    I am, reluctantly, going to have to sell my Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combo and need to downsize, all due to space considerations in a new house. I like the Rotel sound and it works well with my speakers, NHTs. I am looking hard at the RSX-1067 receiver, as space-wise it will fit in the space available for components in my new place.

Here's my question. I only have a 5.1 setup and the center rear channels on the RSX-1067 would therefore be unused. I was wondering if I could use the 2 center rear channels to bi-amp my main left/right speakers, NHT VT2.4 towers, each with a side-firing sub. Seems a shame to waste that extra power and from what I have read the VT2.4s shine when bi-amped.

Has anybody out there tried re-routing the RSX-1067 center rear channels and using them to bi-amp your front speakers? Can it be done, and if so what did you think of the results?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Hap

I dont know the answer to your question but would like to find out myself. I will say that going from a 166/1075 isnt all that much of a "downsize". I would be wrong but doesnt the 1067 have newer and better processing then the 1066?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Can't be done. You can use the CB speaker outputs to power some zone 2 speakers though.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Another thing to consider if space constraints are the problem - Your 1066 and the new 1077 class-D amp the new 1077 class-D amp, which is VERY thin and runs cool. I personally do not like the sound, but I am also the ONLY person I've seen post that opinion... everyone else thinks it's great. Certainly worth a listen.

Comment

• Hap35
          • Jan 2006

Thanks for the comments. Kevin, if the CB channels work for Zone 2, presumably that is a full range signal and why can't you fool the receiver by sending that signal to bi-amp the front tower speakers? If you can run the zones at the same time, it seems like this ought to be possible.

Grit, thanks for the info on the class D amp, but I'm going to go with a receiver.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Zone 1 fronts will be a processed signal unless you are running in bypass mode. So it will most likely never be the same as the zone 2 output (full range vs missing center & surround info). Additionally, the digital connections for getting surround on zone 1 will sound different then the analog connections needed for zone 2.

And finally, there is no way to sync up zone 1 & 2. You would have to constantly readjust volume and change sources twice.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Hap35
              • Jan 2006

Ah. Thanks, Kevin. Wish Rotel would figure out a way to allow the CB channels to be used to b-amp the front large speakers. The CB channels don't do much for me, and my room doesn't permit them anyway. The capacity to shift the CB channels so that bi-amping the front speakers would be much more useful, I think.

Hap

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"