X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_s
    • Mar 2005

viability of three "center" channels

I have a HT today centered around a 70 inch TV with 802D's as left and right, and HTM1D as center. I am considering a projection unit but the 802D's will somewhat limit the screen width. A possible solution would be to trade-in the existing 802D's on two additional HTM1D and all three would be below the projection screen, allowing a wider screen.

Alternatively I might "downsize" to three HTM2D's. The HTM1D has proven to be somewhat unappealing to my taste aesthetically. I have not performed a HTM1D vs HTM2D comparison of volume and fidelity.

I like the 802D's very much, both sonically and aesthetically, and have two others in a separate room that i use to listen to music. This is simply a logistical option to facilitate a wider screen and move the speakers out of the viewing plane. And although I had anticipated listening to music in the home theater room, I never do.

Subs are (2) B&W 855's.....I do hope to soon compare to JL Audio F133.

I should add that the room is 27x17x9 and I do listen to movies at quite loud levels. Although i would like to listen to these different configurations, that will likely be difficult. So, I am asking within this forum for input from those who may have done similar types of comparisons.

Any insights on (1) comparison of htm1d vs htm2d if used in this three center topology, and also comparison of both with 802d for movies and tv. I currently have the speakers set to small with a crossover to the subs at 40 Hz.

I am willing to trade off a bigger picture for "some" loss of audio volume and quality.....but not a lot.

Thanks.
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

Your HTM1D dispersion is 60 grades, at your coach you will persive a wider sound.
    I'm shure your local cinema has only one enormus JBL center speaker!
    I beleive adding 2 center channels will only get troubles for you!

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

Joe, since you have a separate room for music you should go ahead and move the 802Ds as wide apart as you need to make it work. Most of the sound and dialogue comes out of the center anyway. For home theater applications, the placement of your L/R speakers is not as critical.

And since you don't like your HTM1D, I'd be glad to take it off your hands.
      Is it black?
      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• RNKC
        • Jun 2005

What about the B&W Custom Theatre 800 series? I though they were specifically designed for HT application including installation in the wall. If you get one of those acoustically "transparent" screens, you could mount the speakers behind the screen which is probably the best placement for HT anyway. Furthermore since speakers would be behind the screen you could make it as wide as your room will accomodate.

Comment

• sg2
          • Sep 2006

Hi,

I have recently moved from "802D in front and phantom center" to 802D + HTM2D.

I must say that it has been a huge improvement for dialogue understandability.

I have had the chance to listen to an HTM1D center when selecting my own center, and I can't say that I've heard much of a difference for the HT material which was used during the comparison. May be this is also saying that there's not much in the programme material's center channel that would make the HTM1D shine...

I have my stuff set so that the HTM2D's tweeter lies almost at the same height as the 802D's tweeters.

The room above the HTM2D and between the 802D's is just large enough to receive a 16/9, 2 meter base projection screen (and will also receive a 60" Pioneer 8G plasma when they're out in September (the projection screen is motorized and scrolls up).

I am happy with this setup, both for music and for HT.

I have also experienced a bit with the HTM2D for music (used as a replacement for one of the 802D's), and my findings are that this center channel has most of the 802D's qualities (not the bass extension of course), plus another quality, it is far easier to deal with room coupling in the bass. Essentially because its BR port is not on the bottom (so BR does not radiate to floor), and can additionnally be tapped.

Regards,
          --
          Stéphane
          Regards,
          --
          Stéphane

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I am surprised that there is not another compromise.

I assume that you have already discounted locating the screen above the 802D or even slightly impacting on it (but not for the wider format films where the black bars would be at tweeter and head level).

Is it not possible to make an acoustic transparent screen work - say if it were one of those pull down jobs.

Maybe the "in walls" are the way to go given that you have a separate system for music
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"