$500 1040 vs $150 dvd player, which plays a dvd-R? you will be surprised.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikej
    • Oct 2005

$500 1040 vs $150 dvd player, which plays a dvd-R? you will be surprised.

I have a Rotel 1040, I tried to play a recorded home movie on DVD-R (finalized) and it dosen't play, in fact, it can't read it. But to my surprise, it plays on a $150 dvd player. In fact, the DVD-R plays on all the dvd players in my home, except the Rotel, I think I will return it for a differnet one. It doesn't make sense. Has anyone else had this problem?

mikej
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Lots of high-end players have problems with home burnt disks, although the 1040 should read DVD-R, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, VCD and SVCD. I have a $35 no name player that will read pretty much anything, but there's a big difference in quality.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mikej
      • Oct 2005

Yes, but that is ridiculus, you would suspect that as the quality is supposed to go up, also should the readiablity of the machine. It is quite embarassing for it not to read it and any high end machine that doesn't isn't worth the money, no matter what the other features are. Alot of people record home movies. If this was a "priate" movie, then i couldn't complain. Otherwise, I am taking it back and I will check out the others, marantz, denon, oppv, pioneer, etc.

mike

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Like others have said in the other thread, the 1040 has no problems playing most DVD-R's. I'm sorry your recording setup produces discs that aren't playable, but I'm sure you'll find something more to your liking in another brand.

Kevin D.

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

You may try a different brand of media, or perhaps a different burner. Most likely, the reason Rotel can't read it is because something is out of spec with the data or the disk itself.

Comment

• mikej
            • Oct 2005

Yes, others had said it does play DVD-r, but the impression was that the DVD-r was from the computer, not a dvd burner and I have thoroughly and I mean throughly went through both manuals. I plan on contacting Rotel and asking them to explain it. But then again, it doesn't make sense that a $500 player can't do what a $35-150 player can in that specific elementary regard. That is why I am very clear. The media I used is high quality, not some Wal-Mart stuff, it is just really frustrating and wanted to know what others have done or dealt with it.

mike

Comment

• DL86
              • Sep 2005

I have a Marantz dv6400 plays virtually any disc on any media.

Comment

• Miroku
                • Jul 2004

Have you tried burning a new copy of it? Sometimes these things happen for no good reason. I've burned a few CDs that wouldnt play in my nice CD player but my car would play them... then I burned more copies with different media and they worked in my regular CD player.

Annoying yes, but not enough to go returning my equipment.

Comment

• grit
                  • Jan 2005

Can you let me know what the brand and lot # of the media is? Not all name brand media comes from good stock. I've had good luck with TDK and Verbatim.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mikej
                    Yes, others had said it does play DVD-r, but the impression was that the DVD-r was from the computer, not a dvd burner and I have thoroughly and I mean throughly went through both manuals. I plan on contacting Rotel and asking them to explain it. But then again, it doesn't make sense that a $500 player can't do what a $35-150 player can in that specific elementary regard. That is why I am very clear. The media I used is high quality, not some Wal-Mart stuff, it is just really frustrating and wanted to know what others have done or dealt with it.

mike

Mike,
                    Try not to worry about it so much, if you want to return it talk to your dealer about it, I'm certain he'll understand. These things happen and people lose confidence in products or become frustrated and move on to other products. It happens all the time...

One note: The whole "Price" fixation
                    "This one costs $500 and that one costs $200" so this should do that and this other, Blah Blah Blah... That's not how it works. For example: Mark Levinson is making a $17,000.00 DVD player that will not play DVD-R media....Manufacturers make choices and select vendors and have differing parts lists and have specific goals for their gear and goods, all different.

The iPod is a great example of a product that does what it’s supposed to do, and does it well. It doesn't do all kinds of things other (cheaper) similar devices can do. That might be a crappy example, but it just popped in there....

Price is not always a direct reflection of feature sets.

People who focus on sound quality buy Rotel because it sounds "above" its price category. People who focus on feature sets do not buy Rotel (this is just an example) they end up getting other preamplifiers or receivers. Rotel spends their money in different places than Denon... etc. the examples are endless.

Ask you dealer this question: What does this manufacturer spend their money on, what’s their primary focus… He’ll likely have an interesting answer for you.

2 more cents

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I've been talking with Mike. He's going to try and take a disc burned on his stand-alone burner and copy it to another DVD-R on his computer burner.

That should rule out a stand-alone vs PC issue. Hopefully he will report back tonight.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Are you using DVD-R or DVD+R media? They're different, and some units will play one but not the other, while others can play both.

If DVD-R doesn't work, try DVD+R, or vice versa. You might find one type of disc works better than the other in your player.

Comment

• mikej
                          • Oct 2005

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I am using DVD+R and now working on reburning. If that dosen't work, then I will try the DVD-R.

mike

Comment

• weijst
                            • Jun 2004

I have just bought a RDV-1050 and it plays every disc I trow at it.

- I'm using Verbatim (Philips and Platinum don't seem to cause any problems either)
                            - I'm not burning on maximum speed (2,4 x with +R, 2x with -R, 2,4 with +RW and 1x with -RW)
                            - I alway finalize my discs
                            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• DTK
                              • Jan 2006

There is a way to allow most dvd players to play all DVD-R/+R/RW but only if you burn the dvds with a pc and a burner that is capable of changing the booktype. This is a way of cheating the player into thinking that it is playing a dvd-rom (standard commercial release dvd video). If you need more info I will gladly point you in the right direction... :T
                              RDV1080, RCD1072, RSP1066, RB1080, RMB1075
                              CDM 9NTx2, CDM CNTx1, CDM 1NTx2
                              Yamaha YST-315 (looking for a proper sub to match)
                              DA-LITE 16:9 Sony HS-60
                              Oppo 971HD
                              QED SR Hdmi

Comment

• mikej
                                • Oct 2005

Problem Fixed with the help of Kevin D

Apparently, Rotel doesn't like the DVD+/-RW, but does like the DVD-R, which works when I put it in. Thanks for all your help.

mike

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"