X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stage1
    • Oct 2007

Rlc 1040/1080

Hi all, I was interested in purchasing a power conditioner but noticed that there is only one dedicated amp outlet. I have an RMB 1095 and an RB 1090 so this creates a problem for me, as I also run a powered sub. Will I need to purchase 2 conditioners and will running both of these amps along with the rest of my lower voltage eqipment overload my breaker. I ask this because I read a thread on here where a fellow member was tripping his breaker running just an RMB 1095 and all of his other Euipment on one of these power condioners. Either way I will Be purchasing probably the 1040, much cheaper and if I have to buy 2 it will still be cheaper than the 1080. Thanks for any info. P.S. GREAT FORUM!!!
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Analog amps are best when not connected to power conditioners. I can't quote the science behind this but the person who tld me this is well versed in audio/electronics. Since my 1092 is a digital amp (psuedo) I do have it connected to my RLC-1040. Keep in mind that is the voltage on the RLC dips below a certain threshhold it will shut down until the voltage approaches nomrality. Then when it kicks on the other 'standby' units will turn on too. Moral of this story, do not keep you equip in a closed case/entertainment center.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

You won't have a problem on either one. Run the two amps to the amplifier and subwoofer plugs and the subwoofer to an audio filtered plug. Aside from being grouped to delayed outlets, video filter, analog filter, and digital filter the names on the outlets are just a suggestion. You don't have to plug your subwoofer into the subwoofer plug.

Who ever was tripping a breaker with just a 1095 as the big item must have had other issues. I've got a tremendous amount of equipment plugged into my RLC-1080 and never come close to the max rating.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Another option to consider is a separate surge protector for the sub. I have one of these (by Monster) that plugs directly into the outlet, mainly because my sub is on the opposite side of the room from the component rack.
        Brad

Comment

• Stage1
          • Oct 2007

Thanks

Originally posted by miner
          Analog amps are best when not connected to power conditioners. I can't quote the science behind this but the person who tld me this is well versed in audio/electronics. Since my 1092 is a digital amp (psuedo) I do have it connected to my RLC-1040. Keep in mind that is the voltage on the RLC dips below a certain threshhold it will shut down until the voltage approaches nomrality. Then when it kicks on the other 'standby' units will turn on too. Moral of this story, do not keep you equip in a closed case/entertainment center.
          Thanks for the info miner. I don't understand why it's not a good idea to plug my 1090 into a conditioner? Is there any info on this subject to research? Thanks again.

Comment

• Stage1
            • Oct 2007

Thanks

Originally posted by Blindamood
            Another option to consider is a separate surge protector for the sub. I have one of these (by Monster) that plugs directly into the outlet, mainly because my sub is on the opposite side of the room from the component rack.
            Thanks Blindamood, this is probably a suggestion I will follow up on. Chances are my sub will be some distance from my system as well. Does it matter the length of cable you use from sub to system, meaning is shorter better or does it really matter. Thanks.

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Stage1
              Thanks Blindamood, this is probably a suggestion I will follow up on. Chances are my sub will be some distance from my system as well. Does it matter the length of cable you use from sub to system, meaning is shorter better or does it really matter. Thanks.

the length of cable wont matter.

Comment

• Mikael
                • Aug 2007

Hi Kevin D
                Do you know why the RLC 1080 has a lower output(900 watts) and the smaller RLC 1040 has an output of 1440 watts? shouldn't the big one have a bigger output,what can the RLC 1080 do better than RLC 1040?
                And finally could I run both RMB 1095(800 watts) and RB 1090(800 watts) with the RLC 1080 when it only have an output of 900 watts

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Vancouver
                  It doesn't matter, except in terms of price!
                  Brad

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                    ....as long as cable are under 30 feet.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Mikael
                      Hi Kevin D
                      Do you know why the RLC 1080 has a lower output(900 watts) and the smaller RLC 1040 has an output of 1440 watts? shouldn't the big one have a bigger output,what can the RLC 1080 do better than RLC 1040?
                      And finally could I run both RMB 1095(800 watts) and RB 1090(800 watts) with the RLC 1080 when it only have an output of 900 watts
                      That's the continuous power rating, not max. Plus I doubt you would ever hit 800 watts on either amp for enough time for it to matter, much less both amps. The 1080 has battery backup for small power outages or continuous running during over/under voltage situations that the 1040 would just shut off.

For reference, here's what's on my RLC-1080:

Dish 622 Satellite
                      RB-1092
                      RMB-1077
                      RSP-1069
                      RDV-1093
                      RT-1084
                      VCR
                      Fireball Cd manager
                      Toshiba HD-DVD
                      17" LCD touchscreen
                      20A 12v power supply for automation system
                      Wii
                      100w Polk amplifier for bass shakers
                      Cable modem
                      Ant amp
                      Network router

With everything turned on (which would never happen) and Transformers city scene playing at over reference levels, I average 375 watts with peaks close to 500 watts.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ted
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by miner
                        Analog amps are best when not connected to power conditioners. I can't quote the science behind this but the person who tld me this is well versed in audio/electronics.
                        Kevin (or anyone else),

Is this correct (sorry Miner, I don't mean to sound like I don't believe you, I just would like some clarification), that you shouldn't connect analog amps, such as the RB-1080? Would it be worth it to buy a 1040 for just a RC-1070 and RCD-1072 then, or is there another way you should protect the components? Thanks.
                        Last edited by Ted; 13 November 2007, 23:39 Tuesday. Reason: to correct my grammer
                        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

I have no scientific proof of either side, but I believe it comes from most conditioner's having most/all of their outlets current limited. The 1040 and 1080 have two plugs specifically designed to not limit the current going out (up to their rated capacity).

So whether you hear a difference or not is up to you. I've always plugged mine into one (my old RLC-900 and new 1080) and never heard a difference. Even when I was running a 1095 and RMB-1066.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                            • Apr 2005

Non-current limiting outlets is the answer...

The APC guys say "feel free to plug amplifiers into our devices" in fact they used to buy RB-1090's and test them with their gear...

That said: I don't know about other manufactured conditioners..?

Comment

• Stage1
                              • Oct 2007

Sounds great to me. I'll be picking one up on the weekend! Thanks to everyone who replyed to this thread, it makes purchasing a particular unit so much easier when you're givin the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"