X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICEMAN70
    • Apr 2006

My Review on the RLC-1040.

I just finished hooking up everything to the new RLC-1040 conditioner. The first RLC-1040 i had was Faulty so got it replaced by another one which works perfect so far.

I listened to some music today from my RDV-1040 and it sounded more clear than ever when hooked up to the RLC-1040. This was a huge difference in sound quality. I even let my wife listen to some of her music and she agreed with me that the sound quality was much much better. The highs where more clear with tighter bass. Also i had some buzzing coming from the speakers before i had the conditioner hooked up, but now that noise is almost gone.

On the Video side. I watched Monsters Inc. on the RDV-1040 with my daughter and really couldn't see too much improvement. It seemed a little bit more clear than before but i really couldn't tell. I even pluged it in and out of the RLC-1040 and still couln't see too much difference.

Where the most big difference was is on my High Definition chanels. Before they where little fuzzy when hooked up to my Motorola HD box. But now my Cable going through the RLC-1040 made a Huge impact on the quality. Very clear pictures very sharp. The fuzzy picture was gone.

The only problem i have right now is my Regular chanels. They where not too bad before, but now when hooked up to the RLC-1040 it is awfull to watch anything. I guess you can't have everything.

But overall this unit is very well made, solid and for the price i would encourage everyone to pick one up. I got mine for $569 canadian.

Cheers,
  • mattburk
    • Feb 2003

Good to hear on everything, except the standard def pic. Is their a way to bypass it for standard def? IE run a direct feed to the tv via the composit cable from the sat box. You would have to use a different input on the tv, but I am just thinking.
    www.mycstone.com
    www.coverednow.com
    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

Generally speaking, most power conditioners will ruin an analog cable signal, so maybe it's just not really affecting the digital path, but the analog cable signals, which are much more suceptable to noise, filtering, etc, are being affected...

Comment

• pbarata
        • Feb 2003

Iceman,

Are you running your power amplifier through RLC-1040 also?

I have a simple line conditioner from Olson’s (http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/) and I have a dilemma.

If I run everything through (RSP-1066, RMB-1075 and RCD-1070) I found the upper frequencies to be clearer but lower frequencies with tendency to over elm the bass. If I take the power amplifier from Olson’s line conditioner I get not so crispy and clear highs but a less intrusive bass.

So, I’ve have the feeling that the amplifier gets slow when running through the Olson’s line conditioner (maybe because it is build around serial filters with inductances, parallel filter with capacitors and a Voltage Variable Resistance in the output stage). This slow response makes the bass to have a higher duration in time making it more audible and prominent.

What are you experiencing with RLC-1040?
        Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
        Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by pbarata
          Iceman,

Are you running your power amplifier through RLC-1040 also?

I have a simple line conditioner from Olson’s (http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/) and I have a dilemma.

If I run everything through (RSP-1066, RMB-1075 and RCD-1070) I found the upper frequencies to be clearer but lower frequencies with tendency to over elm the bass. If I take the power amplifier from Olson’s line conditioner I get not so crispy and clear highs but a less intrusive bass.

So, I’ve have the feeling that the amplifier gets slow when running through the Olson’s line conditioner (maybe because it is build around serial filters with inductances, parallel filter with capacitors and a Voltage Variable Resistance in the output stage). This slow response makes the bass to have a higher duration in time making it more audible and prominent.

What are you experiencing with RLC-1040?
          I do run my RMB 1075 through my RLC 1040. I also find the upper frequency more clear but the problem your having with low frequency does not happen with my speakers. The bass on my Paradigm Studios seems more tighter when running from the conditioner. What speakers do you have??? I do not find the AMP running any slow with the conditioner, the RLC 1040 handles the load really well. With my RDV1040, RMB1075 and the RSX 1057 all running the conditioner only uses 18% of it's power. So there is plenty more to go.

You might have an problem some where else than maybe your conditioner??

Comment

• pbarata
            • Feb 2003

Iceman,

Thanks for your comments. I have a home cinema set with Monitor Audio Silver 8i (fronts), Silver 10i (center) and Silver 5i (rears). ( http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/1203.html )
            Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
            Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
              • Apr 2006

Hi pbarata,

I am not fimiliar with does speakers. But they do look very nice. Have you checked all your connections? everything is fine? If so then i would say your conditioner is to blame.

I noticed your in Portugal, and i don't think Rotel made RLC-1040 Conditioner that works in Europe. I would have said maybe get one the new RLC's from your dealer and give it a try but that's not going to work.

I wonder if the Higher Voltage in Europe might have something to do with it?

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

Hi Iceman,

You’re right, here in Portugal voltage is about 220V and 50Hz. Also we use different plugs Schuko type.

So, I guess I’ll have to wait for a European version of RLC-1040 to make a proper evaluation. Meanwhile I’ll keep the power amp directly connect to mains as I prefer how it’s sounds that way.

Having the power amplifier running through my line conditioner it’s very clear that the bass becomes dry, losing the sense of impact and authority (less weight), however it’s seams more tightly. This is special easy to ear at low volumes where classic music lacks authority in low frequencies.

When connect directly to mains outlet the difference between sound and silence is greater, as if the rhythm of the music has increased.

I can only conclude that mains conditioning is restricting the dynamics. Most likely the peak power delivery by the filter is significantly lower then the peak power required by the amplifier.

I’ve just found that some audio manufactures build line conditioners with different outlets for power and for the other components. They are arguing that the power outlet only use parallel filtering, while in the other outlets use both serial and parallel filters. This somehow confirms that the differences which I can hear are consequence of the kind of filtering mesh used in my line conditioner.

The only thing bad for not having the power amplifier connect through mains conditioner is that probably I'm bypassing earth line choke, allowing noise to find a path from the mains into the rest of the equipment through interconnects.

So I wonder if RLC-1040 does not restrict the dynamics from power amplifers?
                Last edited by pbarata; 26 July 2006, 07:24 Wednesday.

Comment

• pbarata
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Clepto
                  Generally speaking, most power conditioners will ruin an analog cable signal, so maybe it's just not really affecting the digital path, but the analog cable signals, which are much more suceptable to noise, filtering, etc, are being affected...
                  Why most power conditioners will ruin an analog cable signal ?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"