Grungy midrange with RSP1068

Hello everybody:

I've got a system that consists of the following:

1. RSP1068 Processor
    2. RMB1095 Amp.
    3. Toshiba DVD/DVD Audio Player
    4. Yamaha CD Player
    5. Main Speakers - Dayton D3 MTM DIY
    6 Infinite Baffle Sub with 4 Atlas 15's powered by Behringer EP2500 Bridged to Mono(2400 watts @ 4 OHM )with BFD equalizer

When playing certain CD's in stereo, I'm noticing a very distinct grainy, grungy sound in the midrange at varying volume levels and I'm not sure what may be the source of it. I know that the Dayton woofers (295-305 6 1/2") are described to have this very problem with them in the upper midrange (they are crossed to the 275-070 silk dome tweeter at about 1800 Hz). I don't have any other speakers at the moment to substitute to see of it is a speaker problem. Without being able to rule out the speakers for the moment, does anybody have any insight as to what may be the cause? Could it be that, between the amperage draw of the EP2500 and the RMB1095 on one circuit, I'm not getting enough power to run the components cleanly? Could it be a problem with the 1068? Could it be that the 1068 is just much more revealing of shortcomings elsewhere that I did not hear with my previous Yamaha RX-V992 receiver? I will try to find some other speakers to test them and I will report back. In the meantime this is very annoying. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Harold
    Last edited by howburger; 02 February 2006, 18:49 Thursday. Reason: Addition
    Because I'm the man in black.........
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

Highly unlikely to be the Rotel as its a much better pre/pro than the old Yamaha you were using. You did not describe what music material sounded distorted, but in my experience poorly recorded material is usually revealed when you move up to more transparent gear like the 1068.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

How are you listening to it, through by-pass (analog) or through "stereo" with an optical/coaxial cable?

Probably the 1068 is showing the short comings of your CD player/transport. If you were to upgrade your CD player, I'll bet things will sound much better! Something like the Rotel RCD-1072 used with the analog/by-pass of the 1068 would be a huge progression.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• howburger
        • Jul 2005

Thanx guys. I'm listening to Cd's with mostly Stereo mode with analog I/C's because I can get bass from my IB that way. What I'm hearing is evident then and also when I use By-Pass mode. I was listening to the "Los Lobos Live at the Fillmore" DVD tonight, using Digital coaxial, and the electric rythm guitar was very distorted. I think I might just be hearing the actual Guitar amplifier distortion as it was meant to be. I'm probably used to the old Yamaha receiver not having been revealing enough to notice it. The CD's that I mentioned in my first post were the Eagle's "Long Run", which is a pretty old recording and Allman Brothers "Live", also another very old one. I'm going to go through a few more current CD's and Music DVD's and see if it is consistent. I've read many times that when you upgrade from an entry level receiver to decent separates that you may learn that some of your CD's and/or DVD's may not sound so great anymore, but the good ones will sound that much better, and that it may cause upgraditis in the CD Player and DVD Player. If I were to upgrade to the RCD-1072, would it make the more poorly recorded CD's sound better, or would it reveal them even more? Are the upsampling CD players better for playing regular CD's? I think Rotel has one, don't they?

Thanx again,

Harold
        Last edited by howburger; 03 February 2006, 01:58 Friday. Reason: correction
        Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"