X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allend19
    • Mar 2003

marantz vs rotel..again

Hi Fellas,
    I'm a newbie to the forum, and to HT. picking up alot though from this forum. I Was also planning on going with Rotel route (just auditioned one and it blows me away). Now I was thinking of picking up the 1055 now, then adding the 5 channel amp in a couple of months. My dilemna is this: I went to another dealer who sold Marantz. And he suggested instead of buying the rotel 1055 now and adding an amp later, That I buy the Marantz 6300 and add an amp right away for about the same cost. He suggested that the rotel 1055 and the 6300 have the same pre/pro and the sound difference would be minimal. And if I wanted I could upgrade the marantz later for a dedicated pre/pro.
    I guess what he was essentially saying is that amps have a long shelf life, processors are constantly evolving- and I could enjoy great sound now with the marantz 6300 and a 5 channel amp, and when I want even better sound I could just buy a better processor

is his logic right?

I am thinking I'd get the rotel 1055 now, enjoy killer sound, and get get an amp later- and the 1055 makes a real good processor.

which way would you guys go?
    get the marantz 6300 now and an amp (had the anthem 3 channel 225 watt amp- can't rememebr the model)

or get the rotel 1055 now and get the amp later.

and does the 1055 make for a better preamp then the marantz 6300?

thanks for your help guys, hopefully with your feedback i can make an informed decision.

allen
  • Entice
    • Nov 2002

I don't think that I fully understand...

Why buy the additional power amp at all?

Does the 1065's power not meet your needs?

If it does, why not save the money?

However, if it's clarity you are after, and that's your reasoning for buying the power amp, why are you wasting your time and not going straight for clarity, and getting the separate processor. What you're saying doesnt make any sense...Or maybe I'm just confused...

Comment

• allend19
      • Mar 2003

well, i guess i should have bottom lined my post above, even I don't understand what i was trying to say.
      i'm basically trying to ask is

1) Which makes a better preamp- the rotel rsx- 1055 or marantz 6300?

2) Which will sound better- a marantz 6300 with a power amp or a rotel 1055 (which i'll buy a power amp for later)

3) whats abtter built product all around?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Personally I'd go for which ever receiver sounded best to you. Adding a power amp will help open up the sound stage and give tighter bass but its not going to totally change the sonic signiture of the receiver. If you like the Rotel then buy the Rotel now and later add an amp if you desire. Incidentally if you get the 1055 I wouldn't necessarily be in such a hurry to add a 5 channel amp since the 1055's internal amps are quite good....what you might do instead is add a nice 2 channel amp for power the mains and redirect the 1055's main amps to power some rear center channel speakers. Rememeber the last Marantz's to get benchmarked at Sound & Vission measured around 40 watts per channel which quite frankly is distrubing for a company I once thought very highly off.

Comment

• Dan Heath
          • Feb 2003

I totally agree with Andrew. I have a RSX-1055 that I use for my surrounds and center. And a RB-1080 that I use for my fronts. The 1055 is very impressive. When you look at the price compared to what you're getting. It's pretty tough to beat. Of course your ears will be the best judge. Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck
          Dan

Comment

• allend19
            • Mar 2003

HHHMMM,
            I never thought about adding a 2 channel amp to power the mains, thats a good idea. I personally like the sound of the rotel. I too noticed that the last tested wattrating of the rotel was like 40 watts with all channels driven. I'll go pick up the rotel today.

Comment

• Dan Heath
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by allend19
              I too noticed that the last tested wattrating of the rotel was like 40 watts with all channels driven.
              You mean the Marantz right? :LOL:

Comment

• allend19
                • Mar 2003

ooops!
                i did mean the marantz.

Comment

• Dan Heath
                  • Feb 2003

Hey let us know what you end up getting. What kind of speakers are you using?

Comment

• allend19
                    • Mar 2003

Right now i'm leaning way over to the rotel side. The sound is just incredible. I have Energy c-7's for front and rear, a very nuetral speaker- and the rotel just seems so at home with them. I was thinking of c-9's but perferrred the clarity of the c-7's.

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by allend19
                      Right now i'm leaning way over to the rotel side. The sound is just incredible. I have Energy c-7's for front and rear, a very nuetral speaker- and the rotel just seems so at home with them. I was thinking of c-9's but perferrred the clarity of the c-7's.
                      Yep, the connoiseur line are empresive speaker. Even more when you look at the price tag.

They mate verry well with Rotel too.

Enjoy

Frederick Richard

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"