X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frisco64
    • Jan 2006

Amp with RX-1052

Hello,

Is it possible to connect an amp to the Rotel RX-1052 for use in one room to add power? Also, could a line converter be used to connect a subwoofer? Any Rotel Pro's out there? Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Looks like zone 1 is all on it's own with no pre-outs. A line converter could be used, it will take away some quality though. Might be a better idea to run the sub high-level (speaker out to sub, sub to speakers).

Of course there's an idea that in theory should work. Take the IR out (1 or 2) and run it directly into one of the zone IR in's. Once you ran the volume all the way down, both volume and source should be synchronized. You will lose a zone, but that would give you some pre-outputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frisco64
      • Jan 2006

Kevin

Thanks for the information. So zone 1 could be used to connect an amp? I could basically use the receiver as a preamp tuner. Also, do you mean hooking up the sub to the normal posts and then the speakers to the sub? It sounds tricky. I was thinking of adding a B&W AS1 mini sub.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

With a convertor you could definitely attach an amp. My other trick might work, but you would lose a zone.

On the sub, best bet is to run speaker wires to it and then speaker wires out to the speakers. Not complicated at all and will be listed in the manual how to do it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

I used to have RX-1052. I never tried to connect an external amp, but I think you could use "zone 2" to connect it.

Comment

• frisco64
            • Jan 2006

Kevin

Kevin,

It sounds like you know your Rotel pretty good. Thanks. I am not worried about zones because I bought this receiver as a stop gap until I get back to seperates. However, this RX-1052 does not sound like a receiver to me. It has a lush sound like some integrateds. I am trying to decide if some Onix Rocket 750's would sound good with it. As far as the zones are concerned, I may only need two anyway. Do you know exactly what kind of converter I would need for an amp? Is there a particular name brand? Would another amp negate the 100 wpc of the receiver or add to it?

Comment

• frisco64
              • Jan 2006

Thyname

Hello,

Thanks. If I connected an amp to zone two, would I get the power from the amp and receiver combined? I have already fallen in love with this receiver and I would just like to add some power. When you owned yours, did you notice how good it sounded vs mass market receivers?

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you wre to bi-wire the speakers, you could use the amp in the receiver and an external amp. It's usually better to just get a bigger amp and not use the internal one at all.

Any speaker level to line-level converter should work, brand doesn't matter.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frisco64
                  • Jan 2006

Kevin

Thats what I thought. I have one more stupid question. If I connect an amp to zone two, the RX-1052 will still serve as a preamp when I'm playing CD's. The amp will power everything but the receiver still functions? I am thinking of picking up a used Adcom for more power.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"