X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmalke
    • Jan 2006

new rotel ht...need help quick

First, let me thank everyone in advance for all the info I have gained through this site and especially this forum. After months of research I have finally decided on the equipment to be purchased for my HT. I first picked out my video then my components and then the speakers. The speakers were the hardest for me....I looked/listened to everything I could find. The A/V receiver I decided on early was a Rotel RSX-1056. The speakers I finally decided on are the B&W 804's. Today I went to purchase everything. Luckily I went to the Rotel dealer 1st and informed him I was finally ready. He asked what speakers I had decided on and when I told him he balked. He stated that (based on what he knew about B&W) the RSX-1056 may not have enough to push them. Reccommeded I went up to the RSX-1067 or ideally to the RSP-1068 combined with the RMB-1075.
    Does this sound like an issue or is he trying to upsale me? I maxed out my budget on the speakers!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

I do not know the 800 serie...but what I heard of is that they neen a LOT of power...(some say at least 200w/ch) to get them to deliver the merchandise...

but adequately powered, they are in the big league!...

the 75w/ch of the 1056 might not be enough...

Question, your Rotel dealer didn't carry B&W speakers ?? unusual...
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

The 75 won't be ultimate but may be sufficient to get you going. Then in a few weeks (months, years...lol) you can add a significant amp to power B&Ws. The 1056 makes a great pre-pro, I am told.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Welcome to the Club Rotel forum tmalke.

Perhaps you should try the RB-1080 (or another 200w amp) for your fronts and the 1056 (to power the remaining channels). Just my quick thoughts.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
          Welcome to the Club Rotel forum tmalke.

Perhaps you should try the RB-1080 (or another 200w amp) for your fronts and the 1056 (to power the remaining channels). Just my quick thoughts.

Best regards,

Azeke
          I second that... this is my plan for myself as well.

I am also surprised that a Rotel dealer was not a B&W dealer!

Comment

• Marathon
            • Jan 2006

Go for it

I have the 1056 powering B&W 804 fronts, 805 backs, LCR6 S2 Center and Velodyne sub. The sound system is fantastic - add in the Pio 1130 installed a couple weeks ago and I'm in HT heaven. I do plan on adding the 1080 at some point for the fronts to leap from fantastic sound to absolutely fabulous.

If you've maxed your budget go with the 1056 and add on later - the speakers are awesome, nice size and look great.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

No offense to anyone who has a different opinion.

DO NOT RUN 804's ON 70 WATTS/CH!

At leas test it for yourself before you settle on this combo. I always thought if you bought great speakers, you could just get by with decent electronics. Not true. Your electronics NEED to match your speakers.

I brought home 803's because a dealer told me I could run them on my Denon receiver (had 85 watts/ch). When I got the 803's home, they did NOT sound as good as my Boston Acoustics (older model that cost about $500/pair). Incredible! $5000/pair speakers didn't sound AS GOOD as $500/pair speakers. I *knew* something was wrong, because I'd heard how great the 803's sounded... on much nicer electronics.

I now have B&W 703's powered by Rotel 1075 (120 watts/ch). Wonderful match. I recently went in and tested 803's and Aerial Acoustics 7b's, powered by a Rotel 1095 (200 watts/ch). I then switched to a Classe amp with 100 watts/ch. There was *FAR* more detail in the mids and highs, but the sound was strained, and the bass was *VERY* lean. I would *NEVER* run those speakers off the 100 watts/ch amp. I didn't test the 804's that day, but I believe they are a litte more forgiving.

The people on this forum are not kidding. Underpowering speakers is a very bad thing. And do NOT belive the power specs you read for speakers (50-250 watts/ch for 803's). There's far more that goes into it than just that.

Go back to where you listened to the B&W's. Have them drive them using something with only 70 watts and see what happens. You may find you'll be happier with a less expensive speaker and a separate amplifier for about the same cost as the 804's.

Yes, upgrading is a consideration. But, don't buy something you won't be happy with now while holding out for an upgrade. Buy something you enjoy now, and will be *amazed* with if/when you upgrade.

Comment

• Eliav
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by grit
                No offense to anyone who has a different opinion.

DO NOT RUN 804's ON 70 WATTS/CH!

At leas test it for yourself before you settle on this combo. I always thought if you bought great speakers, you could just get by with decent electronics. Not true. Your electronics NEED to match your speakers.

I brought home 803's because a dealer told me I could run them on my Denon receiver (had 85 watts/ch). When I got the 803's home, they did NOT sound as good as my Boston Acoustics (older model that cost about $500/pair). Incredible! $5000/pair speakers didn't sound AS GOOD as $500/pair speakers. I *knew* something was wrong, because I'd heard how great the 803's sounded... on much nicer electronics.

I now have B&W 703's powered by Rotel 1075 (120 watts/ch). Wonderful match. I recently went in and tested 803's and Aerial Acoustics 7b's, powered by a Rotel 1095 (200 watts/ch). I then switched to a Classe amp with 100 watts/ch. There was *FAR* more detail in the mids and highs, but the sound was strained, and the bass was *VERY* lean. I would *NEVER* run those speakers off the 100 watts/ch amp. I didn't test the 804's that day, but I believe they are a litte more forgiving.

The people on this forum are not kidding. Underpowering speakers is a very bad thing. And do NOT belive the power specs you read for speakers (50-250 watts/ch for 803's). There's far more that goes into it than just that.

Go back to where you listened to the B&W's. Have them drive them using something with only 70 watts and see what happens. You may find you'll be happier with a less expensive speaker and a separate amplifier for about the same cost as the 804's.

Yes, upgrading is a consideration. But, don't buy something you won't be happy with now while holding out for an upgrade. Buy something you enjoy now, and will be *amazed* with if/when you upgrade.
                ;x(
                I concur, 100%
                Eliav
                :T Socrat

Comment

• stewfoo
                  • Jul 2005

Well, not 70 Rotel watts. I am running my surrounds on a 2x40 rotel amp.... for now.. so pardon the hypocrisy.
                  Stew

Comment

• Armond
                    • Dec 2005

I wouldn't hesitate to get the speakers now and upgrade for an external amp later. Yes you will not be entirely happy with the sound but if you have the money now to buy the BW's then do it. Just think of it as a long term investment. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"