X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Help with Video I/O

In an earlier post I inquired about upgrading from 2ch to 5.1 HT while incorporating the use of my current RB980BX and acquiring the necessary Rotel components on the used market. While that quest is still under way, one of the many great pieces of advise I got was planning for the minimum required inputs/outputs needed for a HT system.

At this point I am leaning toward digital cable, but have not ruled out Sat Dish as a possibility. My tv is 36” CRT Sony that only offers S-Video for connection. It will be a while before I replace it, since I have given my audio upgrade priority.

Would you fine ladies and gentlemen be so kind as to tell me what types of output are used on cable/sat boxes and what inputs will be required to give me the best quality video signal using S-Video to my TV? And should I not ignore the possibility of future monitor upgrades that would influence the I/O options on the pre/pro or AV that I choose?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you go HD, then you will most likely get the HDMI connection from the Sat/Cable box. But either one will most like have HDMI or DVI, Component, Svideo, and Composite for the Video. The audio side will have analog RCA outs and either one, or both of the Digital Audio lines, (Optical and Coaxial). There will also be some USB, Firewire and a few other things... it's all dependent upon the model of Sat/Cable box you get.

Depending on what TV you get, you may not run the Video through your pre and run it directly into the TV. It just depends on what all you have and what you need.

For me, I don't think it's worth it yet to upgrade any Pre just to get access to HDMI. TVs are starting to already carry two HDMI ports on them, along with a couple Component, Svideo, and Composite...so hopefully you won't have to run a whole lot through your Pre if you don't want to...

I just like to have at least 3 - 4 Component connections to my Pre as my TV only has two Components, so this give me a total of 5 Component connections. The HDMI is only used for my HD TV, until I get an HD type Media device (HD/Blu-Ray)...then I will probably end up with a new TV by that time that has multiple HDMI connections (along with the format for it being finalized).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Hey PewterTA!!!

Seeing as we are both from the ‘Burgh, Can I assume you have Comcast? Or do you use a SatDish? What do you recommend?

I’m not quit sure I understand your reply, are you saying most cable/sat boxes have multiple outs that include component, S-video and composite, and HDMI and DVI?

I assume HDMI is for HighDef TV’s, I have not heard of DVI.
      I will most likely run my TV signal through a pro/pro or AV especially if it has OSD function. Again, I assume I would have to do this to make it function in OSD mode and to take advantage of switching sources using a single remote controlling the pre/pro or AV. However, if there is a noticeable loss of signal quality, then I will probably run direct S-Video from the cable/Satdish box to the TV.

As far as upgrading my TV, I’ll wait till you guys get that ‘Blue Rainbow Thingy’ I hear you talking about once in a while, then I by up one of your ‘Old’ sets.

Thanks PewterTA!! Small world just getting smaller and smaller!!!! Go ‘Stillers!!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"