X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2channellover
    • Jan 2009

Component vs HDMI Sat connection

It seems like HDMI is the be all, cure all, but I don't want to run out and buy one for no reason.

My HD satellite receiver will broadcast in 720p, does it make sense to use HDMI over component video (which I already have) to connect to my pre/pro since, from my understanding the only benefit is I don't need an audio cable? If there is another benefit please advise.

Thanks.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Empirically, the HDMI connection from my Dish HD tuner initially gave a much nicer picture. The color balance/saturation was excellent right "out of the box", as opposed to the component which I tried just for fun and required a bit of adjusting to get things right. As far as detail goes, I think the image is a bit crisper with the HDMI, but that's open for debate.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• 2channellover
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for the reply David.

I need one anyway, and I saw some good HDMI pricing on Blue Jeans, I'll pick up an extra one for the Directv box and see if I can tell a difference.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Parts Express is a forum sponsor, it is always a good thing to check their web site for accessory pricing when shopping. Click the add at the top of the page so the forum gets acknowledged for hits & sales. I have bought from them many times and can attest for the excellent prices and unmatched service.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• heapatrouble
          • Feb 2009

Empirically, most people will see a qualitative difference between component and HDMI. One of the reasons for this is that the video signal remains in the digital domain from source to Display without going through an analog-to-digital conversion at the source followed by a digital-to-analog conversion in the display. Another potential issue is that content providers (satellite service, cable) have the ability to 'down-rez' the analog output from the decoding/tuner device (cable box, satellite box, DVR). Yes, this is legal (thank you Bill Clinton/DMCA). Yes, it sucks.

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by 2channellover
            My HD satellite receiver will broadcast in 720p, does it make sense to use HDMI over component video (which I already have) to connect to my pre/pro since, from my understanding the only benefit is I don't need an audio cable? If there is another benefit please advise.

Thanks.
            The reason to go HDMI (in the long term) is High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). This nasty little beast may prevent high definition signals from leaving your HD satellite box via component (analog) video connects.

HDCP can force the HD receiver to reduce its ouput resolution for certain content (such as live events or movies) if it can't verify the type of device its attached to - which it can't if the connection is analogue. With an HDMI (digital) connection, the devices will 'chat', and HD output from the receiver authorised.

If HDCP is not currently an issue for you, then by all means stick with your Component connection.

The picture via HDMI will be slightly better (as its digital), but the difference probably isn't worth buying a new TV for if you're happy with what you have.

Component video supports up to 1080i, but not 1080p.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"