X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mk
    • Dec 2003

Test tone of the 1098 ???

I calibrate my system (5.0 , all the same speaker except the center and no sub) here the result given with the internatl 1098 test tone :

FR:0
    CENTER:-1
    FL:0

SR:0
    SL:5

What is very weird for me is the difference of 5 db between the 2 surround whereas the listening position is symetrical and only 1.80 meter far from each Surround/

The results given by my SACD player (Source EXT so bypass mode) are :

FR:0
    CENTER:-2
    FL:0

SR:0
    SL:0

????

1) When I calibrate my SACD player and so use the EXT source am I right to think that the level compensations previously calibrated in the 1098 are not used ?

2) Strange to obtain this result also with the player because the listening position is only 1m80 from the two surround but more than 4 meter from the FR, center and FL ?

I don 't have any callibration disk like AVIA,...

Help me ??????
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Help you how???

Sounds to me like you have everything under control. Those of us you have calibrated the 1098 with VE or Avia have found that the 1098's internal test tones are accurate except for the sub tone which is approximately 8 to 10 db low. Since you don't have a sub you didn't run into this problem.

You didn't mention which SACD player you have but if you have it connected the usual way, via the multi-channel inputs, then you are totally bypassing the 1098's speaker settings which is why you need to rely on the settings for your player.

I wouldn't worry, sounds to me like you did everything right, and speaking of sound, how does it sound?

-Skip

Comment

• mk
      • Dec 2003

Thank you skip :

The SACD player is the last Pioneer 868 Avi (I'm not sure of its number in the US, it s the player whith the HDMI output).

Which is strange to me is the relative strong unbalance between my two surround : 5db (almost 4 times louder) when I use the test tone of the RSP 1098 ??

The test Tone of the Pioneer which is transmitted through the multi input give a very good balance setting betwwen the two surround ...

Comment

• skipm
        • Jun 2003

MK-

You must have the latest Pioneer universal which in the US is known as the 59Ai. I've read a lot of glowing reviews on it and it's only been available in the states for about a month. I had a Pioneer DV-45a which is the same as your 656a or 646a (I forget) and I really liked it alot. I listened to DVD-Audio & SACD's through the 6.1 analogue and DVD through the digital outs.

If you are still concerned about the surround's volume level, try this: watch a DVD that you are very familiar with and you know for a fact has a lot of information coming from the surrounds. Listen very carefully to passages that pan from one side to the other in the surrounds. If it sounds natural or like you remember it with your previous DVD player then you have no worries.

Enjoy your new Pioneer.

-Skip

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"