X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

Rotel 1098 versus ?

For those considering a Rotel RSP 1098, what other surround pre-amps are out there in the 2000-4000 range that one could consider. The TFT screen is not a must.

Parasound Halo C2
    Anthem
    Theta Digital Casablanca III (well out of the price range)
    Marantz?

I'd like to get an idea of other "must hear" pre-amps. I have and love the 1098 for it's versatility as well as bang for buck. I have been interested in the fact that the Theta Cassablanca however has TRUE balanced outputs and in the long run may be the far superior amp.

Things that I need in a quailty multichannel pre-amp:
    1. decent bass management
    2. quality balanced outputs
    3. all current multichannel capabilities
    4. Customization of each input like the 1098 has (which not all pre-amps have). When you turn on the dvd mode: it automatically knows you want default dolby/dts.
    5. better video switching than the 1098... my component video passed through the 1098 has clear artifacts.
    6. The cabability to activate the amp (ie 12 volt signal or equivalent)

There are so many things about the Theta Casablanca III that are inticing me away from my 1098. Anyone use one that can convince me to stay away from it?

I researched pretty extensively on other pre-amps like 6 months ago and the 1098 seemed like the most versatile for the buck. Any other pre-amps that you guys have been drop dead impressed with?
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

Any votes for the Meridian 568? I can only imagine that the 800 series meridian is godlike as far as surround processors go...

Once you get into the 5000+ range or pre-amps it gets very confusing.
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"