X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV-walker
    • Jan 2006

Amp for B&W805S

I auditioned the combination of B&W 805 and Rotel RA1062 plus its RCD 1072 with "1812"; the power is marginal in handling of cannons. Bass of 805 is also not very sufficient.

With B&W 805, RA1062 seems not strong enough; any Rotel amp or else could be considered?
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

AV-Walker,

The Rotel RB-1080 will do a fine job of driving the 805s... For even more bass controll try the RB-1090 (too much power is never enough)... After that consider spending more and moving out fo the Rotel amps into the Classe integrated or Krell Integrated...

Geoff

Comment

• AV-walker
        • Jan 2006

Geoff,

Thanks. I'm also thinking along this line. Any idea about which Krell/Classe amp will be more suitable to drive 805. 805 is about US$2500 and it looks the integrated amp will cost me the same amount. Initially, I would like to spend more on speakers rather than the gears.

Comment

• texasbwfan
          • Sep 2005

I'm in a similar predicament. I currently have a pair of 805s and have been contemplating the purchase of a two channel amp. My speakers sound great driven by my Pioneer 74txvi receiver but I can't help but think they may have more to offer. I have been looking at the MC 252 and the Bryston 4B ST. Based on the feedback I've read on this forum, they're both highly acclaimed amps. I'd like to audition the two side by side but my dealer does not carry Bryston. If I decide to move forward with the purchase of an amp...I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the dollar while not creating a case of buyer's remorse. Any and all feedback / suggestions are appreciated.
          texasbwfan

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

AV-Walker,

The Krell KAV-400xi integrated amplifier retails for US$2,500 (which s very good compared to the $4,995 I would have to pay in Australia... This is a very nice 200W integrated stereo amp and amazing value for Krell quality... I have heard and like this amp (very clean and detailed - but mussing the tradtional Krell "big bass" sound).

The Classe equivalent is their CAP-2100 Stereo Integrated Amplifier which as US$4,995 is twice the price. This is seriously good (world class) but at the price it should be...

Geoff

Comment

• AV-walker
              • Jan 2006

How would Musical Fidelity A5 compare that of the Krell KAV400xi?

Comment

• rhoffman000
                • Sep 2004

Those speakers are only rated down to 50hz. A stronger amp is not going to help the cannon blasts sound any better than 'marginal.' Now, if you got a subwoofer rated down to 20hz..... :lol:

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"