System is up an running and my ears are ringing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titan7
    • Dec 2005

System is up an running and my ears are ringing.

Well I finally got everything in except for the RC-1070 so I am still using the dealers demo. I put the new VTI rack together and set it up. One word, WOW! I have played the system for about 20 hours so far. I plugged power cables of the RCD-1072 and RT-1080 in to the switched outlets on the RC-1070 so they will power up when the 1070 comes on. At this time I powering up the RB-1080 by hand. All the gear came with 12v trigger cables in the box.

So I have read that this stuff will sound better after a while? I am not sure how it will get any better as I am hearing things on my CDs I have never heard before. One of the big changes in sound was the loss of the boomy bass the Denon receiver/CD changer had. I am going to need to be careful with the volume as my ears are ringing, ringing, ringing. I was amazed that the quality of the music did not change when the volume went up. The Denon sounded good at low volume but when started turning it up loud it sounded brittle, harsh, and the quality started to go.

Anybody have experience with Bi-wiring speakers, I am considering doing this with my Monitor Audio GR-10s. Does it really make a difference? Thanks

So far so good :T
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

I am a bit sceptic about bi-wire and its affect on sound. Actually quite a few brands latest models (like focal-Jmlab's new Electra) no longer have bi-wire entries.

Just make sure you use a nice quality cable, like Catcables Cattails or VdHul CS-122 or VdHul Royal Jade.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by eelco74
      I am a bit sceptic about bi-wire and its affect on sound. Actually quite a few brands latest models (like focal-Jmlab's new Electra) no longer have bi-wire entries.

Just make sure you use a nice quality cable, like Catcables Cattails or VdHul CS-122 or VdHul Royal Jade.
      Same with Energy
      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

I am going to need to be careful with the volume as my ears are ringing, ringing, ringing
        This is a negative thing. I'd attribute it more to the speakers than anything.

Comment

• benny
          • Jan 2005

I would attribute it to listening at a very loud volume.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Nope. I can listen to various systems for a long time w/o ear ringing including my own. It's all about harsh treble and ear fatigue. Based on my experience with Rotel gear, it is not that. It would be the MA speakers which can be a bit harsh.

Comment

• titan7
              • Dec 2005

It's high volume levels not the speakers. It also happened with two other high quality brands of speakers with different equip. Same thing happens in the car when I play it too loud, when I play the guitar amp too loud, or if I forget to put ear plugs in while out shooting. High SPL can cause ringing and hearing damage. You might not be a sensitive to it as others. YMMV.

I just need to use more caution when listening, but it sounds so good!

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by titan7
                Anybody have experience with Bi-wiring speakers, I am considering doing this with my Monitor Audio GR-10s. Does it really make a difference? Thanks

So far so good :T
                Best bet is to try it yourself and see how it sounds. IMO, you should get to know your system first... give it several months, so you get use to the quality of sound. Then try changing things around. You'll instantly be able to know whether or not you prefer the changes.

Quick point - biwiring helps chiefly because the binding posts on the back of the speakers are probaby NOT the best signal path for the sound. You might try making small jumpers out of speaker wire.

Comment

• titan7
                  • Dec 2005

Good suggestions, I will wait a few months.

Comment

• benny
                    • Jan 2005

No, no. It HAS to be your speakers! :rofl:

Comment

• Kens1
                      • Mar 2005

Certain speakers will cause ear fatigue for some people - that's why some people prefer certain speakers while others don't. It doesn't have to be loud for ear fatigue to set in and your ears begin to ring if the speaker and equipment tends to be overly bright. If this isn't the case for titan 7 then he just needs to turn down the volume, for some it is not that easy.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"