RMB-1095 owner as of when audio shop opens later today! Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying my RMB-1095?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

RMB-1095 owner as of when audio shop opens later today! Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying my RMB-1095?

I never owned a rotel product before and I am very excited. I just don't want to make an error in all this excitement.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying and taking my new RMB-1095 amp home later today? I understand that there may have been some minor improvements on the newer amps, so what would be considered a newer serial number?
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

My 1095 has the clear binding post you describe. The look very much like WBT binding posts so perhaps they are. They actually say "ROTEL" on them. I know my B&W Nautilus speakers have WBT binding posts.

This is an example of a WBT "clear" binding post.

WBT (Wolfgang B. Thoerner) is a German company. Here is their US website. http://www.wbtusa.com/ Their US distributor is Kimber, but if you want to buy other WBT parts the best place is http://www.partsexpress.com.

Some of my audio stuff is terminated using the WBT crimp method and WBT connectors. WBT stuff tends to fall into the category of what I call "audio jewelry." They are very finely crafted and nice to look at but I doubt they really offer much sonically over the more utilitarian looking and more moderately priced connectors.

My personal recommendation for connecting your speakers to your amp is to just strip the tips of the speaker wire and use bare wire treated with Caig ProGold (also available from PartsExpress) to prevent oxidation.

Gregg
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

They don't just look like WBT's, they are in fact WBT's
      I suppose these are custom made for Rotel with their logo in it, but they're completely identical to the WBT's found on Nautilus speakers.
      Wouldn't suprise me if B&W Group owns WBT, just like they own Rotel and Classé (which also uses WBT plugs).

Comment

• BKSinAZ
        • Feb 2003

Do you own the 1095 amp? If so, do you have ANY problems with it? Do you know of anyone that has this amp? I understand that there is a BUZZ noise issue. Is this with all the 1095 amps or just a very few?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I think in general the amount of people having the "buzzing problem" is relatively small and most of those situations have been ground loops in their own homes (mostly from improperly/badly grounded cablevision feeds) that their 1095's unfortunately picked up on. As far as I know most of those people have had success one way or another in fixing those ground loop problems. Like any piece of electronics from any company, I'm sure there have been a few bad models released but you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Enjoy the 1095

Jealously,

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

My 1095 buzzed. I would have been surprised if it didn't. I've got 2 cable boxes in my rack, a REL sub, halogen sconces and recessed cans on X10 dimmers, and a refrigerator in the room.

Some day I will go back and try and sort all of it out and correct it, but in the mean time I just took a pair of pliers and yanked the ground pin out of the cord. Hum gone. I just need to be mindful not to stand in a bucket of water while licking my amp.

I suppose these are custom made for Rotel with their logo in it, but they're completely identical to the WBT's found on Nautilus speakers.
            DrBoom, How finely do you like your hairs split? I went back and looked at them more closely today. The binding posts on my Nautilus speakers appear to be the WBT Topline model 735's and the binding posts on the Rotel 1095 appear to be the WBT Midline model 765's or 766's.

Gregg
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• DrBoom
              • Dec 2003

OK, i'm willing to admit I didn't check em THAT thoroughly
              I can't even tell the difference between the 735 and the 765 from the WBT website, even the specsheet is almost identical.
              What i have noticed is that there are 2 versions with clear bindingposts in circulation.
              My dealer has one with clear bindingposts that look like WBT's on the outside, but they're different from any type in their current line-up.
              For instance, the edge of WBT's (where you insert the banana) has "teeth" for grip when you're tightening the post.
              The ones on the RMB1075 at my dealer are smooth.
              Another striking difference, WBT's have a hole in the center pole (if you unscrew the post) where you can insert a bare-wire.
              The one at my dealer doesn't have a hole in it, so it's impossible to use bare-wire unless you feel like wrapping it around the center pole.
              So there are at least 3 different binding posts out there on the Rotel amp, the old coloured ones, the WBT look alikes, and the real WBT's.
              Not that it matters much i suppose, just to show Rotel continuously updates their products.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"