X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

I broke my 802D binding post!

Last week I broke the red binding post on my 802D, after a big web search I found a replacement with the original maker, WBT.
    I even got better binding posts, the same that came with the 800, Platinum coted! I had to change the eight binding posts with a criping technich that need some special tools but need no soldering!
    The company who sold me everything was Madison Speaker components and those guys are great, I live in Mexico and I got my posts in 3 days!
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

WOW! How did you break the post? Would you mind posting pix of the new posts?

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Ouch! That had to hurt!

:later: Tboooe
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

How did you do that???!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!!!! It's killing me, and I'm not even you or the 802D! Show us some pics. Please!!!

Comment

• ChrisssB
          • Feb 2006

<--------- shivers :scareboo:

Comment

• Aldo
            • Sep 2005

I post some pictures tomorrow! and by the way, I broke the post by kicking it with my foot! Some people make this upgrades for sonic performance but not me, I'm shure there is no audio difference, but it looks great!

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
              I post some pictures tomorrow! and by the way, I broke the post by kicking it with my foot! Some people make this upgrades for sonic performance but not me, I'm shure there is no audio difference, but it looks great!
              kicking it with my foot ? Out of anger , accident ,.......

Comment

• Aldo
                • Sep 2005

By accident, my speaker is on the way to the kitchen and I get stock with the speaker cable wich pulled the binding post and crack it! I will post some nice pictures later today.

Comment

• Aldo
                  • Sep 2005

New Binding posts!

He are some pictures in and out!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

Aldo, how did you get access inside the base? Did you take it apart??? You are more man than me!!!

Comment

• Aldo
                      • Sep 2005

It's very easy, it has a wooden base with aprox 8 tork screws, just remove it and ready, the only problem was that inside, the binding posts were solded, fortunately the company who made the posts said that the best way to attache the cable is with the crimp technic who needs a silver jacket and a screw.

Comment

• D-bucket
                        • Jun 2005

Glad to hear of your success with the binding post. Was your system on and the speaker actively playing when the accident happened?

Comment

• ChrisssB
                          • Feb 2006

Wait a minute! h:
                          I see that you've single wired your speakers and connected the cables from your amp to the lower terminals! This is wrong! B&W says: "When single wiring, connect the cable from the amplifier to the lower terminals on 2-way systems (805S, HTM4S, SCMS) and the upper terminals on 3-way systems."

Comment

• Aldo
                            • Sep 2005

You are absolutly right! I check the manual. I think it is not important because of the jumper, with it is just as if you biwire at the end of the cable, the jumper is too short to make a diference on the signal run! BUT, if that is what the manual says I will change them to the upper ones "There must be a reason!", Thank you very much for the tip! That's why I like this Forum!
                            Thanks Chriss!

Comment

• Aldo
                              • Sep 2005

No my sistem was not ON, D-bucket!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

The only problem when you change anything from stock, and there is an explanation, it affects re-sale the day you sell it.

I know if it was me (and I always buy thinking about resale value) and there was a choice of A stock or B modified for some reason that's acceptable, I would always choose A.

I think when repairing something you should try to make it original parts, avoid stories when selling as its hard enough to get your price. Take off %% when it comes to discussions about price.

I don't mean to be the voice of Gloom, but I am playing devils advocate. This is OK short term, but would think seriously about getting back to original state.

Comment

• Aldo
                                  • Sep 2005

I have save the original binding post and a original replacement for the one I broke, in case someone noted the change if I descide to sell them, BUT In Mexico there is almost NO aftermarket, I will have them for years until I give them away for free. Besides the 800D have exactly these new binding posts, if you get in to the WBT webpage you can read that the ones the 802D have are... midrange, or in other words economic! about 20usd instead of 60usd, so if you buy a car and the seller talls you he changed the tires to pirelli P ZERO, you said NO this car came with Continental!
                                  I had to admit that you have a good point but if anything good could came out of my stupid... was to upgrade the binding posts, to one made by the same company, best quality and used on their flagship model! You can even ask your dealer to order a pair of 802Ds with these platinum binding posts directly from B&W!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Sounds good

You can always say you "upgraded" the original binding posts to a better quality

I'd go for that........

Comment

• VictorHRS
                                      • Apr 2005

You are absolutly right! I check the manual. I think it is not important because of the jumper, with it is just as if you biwire at the end of the cable, the jumper is too short to make a diference on the signal run! BUT, if that is what the manual says I will change them to the upper ones "There must be a reason!", Thank you very much for the tip! That's why I like this Forum!
                                      Thanks Chriss!
                                      Aldo,

The jumper is made of cheap wire, either make a jumper from the same speaker wire quality as yours (which brand/model?) or biwire. Be certain that you are limiting the performance of your speakers by using the jumper and connecting the single speaker run to the bass terminals. Also, spade connectors usually offer much better contact than the banana ones, that's why many high-end equipment makers don't make provisions for banana connections. Even better now to use spades with your top of the line WBT connectors. And don't forget to throw away the jumpers that came with the speaker and biwire or make good jumpers.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                        • Jun 2006

Last week I broke the red binding post on my 802D, after a big web search I found a replacement with the original maker, WBT.
                                        I even got better binding posts, the same that came with the 800, Platinum coted! I had to change the eight binding posts with a criping technich that need some special tools but need no soldering!
                                        The company who sold me everything was Madison Speaker components and those guys are great, I live in Mexico and I got my posts in 3 days!
                                        Madisound is great. I also use Solen in Canada, and Partsexpress and Partsconexxion in the USA when I build crossover networks. There are alot of parts available that you would otherwise pay big money for in high end audio shops.

I have my amps going to the bottom terminals of my N801's and 10 ga stranded copper jumpers (automotive alternator wire - GASP!) going to the top end. Why should this be changed?

Chris

Comment

• Aldo
                                          • Sep 2005

The first thing I notice when I open the speaker was that the cable inside it is identical to the jumper, so if it is that chip as you say, we are fu..d, I think there are different cables but a limit where you just can't tell the difference! I bought Kimber bifocal $2000 usd cables for the fronts and even though I try to hear the diference with all my ears and heart for 2 years (considering that my mind was also trying desperate to convice my self I made the right choice) I just cant tell!
                                          I do believe that the best equipment is the sum of all the parts, but at the moment and with my budget... Monster Cable is enough for me.

What you certanly should take into account is the AWG of the cable!

Comment

• Aldo
                                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChrisssB
                                            Wait a minute! h:
                                            I see that you've single wired your speakers and connected the cables from your amp to the lower terminals! This is wrong! B&W says: "When single wiring, connect the cable from the amplifier to the lower terminals on 2-way systems (805S, HTM4S, SCMS) and the upper terminals on 3-way systems."
                                            I sent an email to B&W asking if there is any difference in conecting to the down or upper terminals and they said NO! They told me that every engenier have a different thinking and I shoul try both and decide, but I will likely not find any difference!

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                              • Feb 2006

Aldo: that could be the case (not being able to hear any difference),
                                              but then again this makes perfect sense : "The ear is at its most sensitive in the
                                              midrange, so we recommend that, when single wiring, you connect the cable from
                                              the amplifier to the terminals that directly feed the midrange driver." (manual)

Comment

• Aldo
                                                • Sep 2005

Do you really think that I leave the conection like it was? Tha first thing I do that day was change the to the upper ones!
                                                Thanks ChrissB!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

This thread is funny

We are told its better so we don't take any chances and and do what everybody says we should.

I too have difficulty trying to rationalize $1000 cables, $1000 power cords, bi-wire, top terminal bottom terminal, and all the rest........

Its out there, I can afford it, everyone else is doing it........

But I don't know. I had to switch cables the other day with just ordinary monster cables while I sent my nordost's to be reterminated. Was there a difference. ??

I can't convincingly tell you I could hear it. I want to hear it. I paid for it. But I just can't say I do.

Comment

• AptosJeff
                                                    • Jul 2006

Thanks for the honesty, misterdoggy. Sometimes our pocketbooks do the talking.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ChrisssB
                                                      Aldo: that could be the case (not being able to hear any difference),
                                                      but then again this makes perfect sense : "The ear is at its most sensitive in the
                                                      midrange, so we recommend that, when single wiring, you connect the cable from
                                                      the amplifier to the terminals that directly feed the midrange driver." (manual)
                                                      Leap of logic. Can't hurt.

Kal
                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                      _______________________________
                                                      "Music in the Round"
                                                      Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                      http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• caleb
                                                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                        This thread is funny

But I don't know. I had to switch cables the other day with just ordinary monster cables while I sent my nordost's to be reterminated. Was there a difference. ??

I can't convincingly tell you I could hear it. I want to hear it. I paid for it. But I just can't say I do.

Mr Doggy - what truth you have spoken in these lines! ! !

Which self respecting male would pay a fortune for a piece of wire and deny that there is no improvement.

The male EGO is a very delicate thing that no - one wants to damage.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

Just for the record. Because my ears my not be able to tell the difference, I still bought good quality cables all around. Just in case..........

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                            Just for the record. Because my ears my not be able to tell the difference, I still bought good quality cables all around. Just in case..........
                                                            You're spot on mister doggy!

I think we all do that one way or another: Just because are senses tell us that everything's fine, our insecurities dictate us to support it even more!
                                                            But to our diffence that's what we should do!
                                                            After all a hobby -in many ways- is like a love affair, after a point it's illogical and inexplicable!

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                              • Feb 2006

sorry for that: diffence. I mean defence

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

In English its defence, In American its defense

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                                  • Feb 2006

Either way I should warn you: English is a foreign language for me and often I make mistakes ops:

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"