X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AV-walker
    • Jan 2006

AV amp for S603S3

Usually, I'll spend 90% in listening classic music and 10% on movie. I'm considering to purchase an AV amp to match my B&W 603S3 speakers. AV amplifiers being considered are:

Denon 3805 (US$900)
    Onkyo 989 ($2,000 a bit expensive)
    Rotel 1056 ($ ???)
    Rotel 1067 ($ ???)

Please kindly advise your opinion.

Brgds,
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

Oh jesus go for 1067
    1067 even deserve for 700 series of BW

Comment

• AV-walker
      • Jan 2006

Please tell me more about why Rotel 1067 is your preference. I listened to Onkyo 989 which serves with great, solid and clear sound stage.

Comment

• Bluespower
        • Sep 2005

Up until about four months ago I was driving my DM603 S3s with a Marantz 7400 (I believe the Marantz is in roughly the same league as some of your other choices). My listening is primarly music and the videos I watch are largely concert DVDs.

All I wanted to say to you is that the Rotel gear I have (RSP-1068, RMB-1095 & RCD-971) have taken me to a whole new level of enjoyment. A year ago I was focused on 5.1 material. The quality of the Rotel gear married to the B&Ws has reversed my preferences and I now find myself listening to two channel (in bypass mode) far more than I ever would have imagined. It is that good.

The B&Ws do like additional power if you can provide it. You may want to consider something on the order of an RSX-1056 partnered to a RB-1080.

I wish you well in your quest. I haven't stopped smiling since I made the jump. Good luck...
        Bluespower

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bluespower
          All I wanted to say to you is that the Rotel gear I have (RSP-1068, RMB-1095 & RCD-971) have taken me to a whole new level of enjoyment. A year ago I was focused on 5.1 material. The quality of the Rotel gear married to the B&Ws has reversed my preferences and I now find myself listening to two channel (in bypass mode) far more than I ever would have imagined. It is that good.
          Exactly ditto (except I have the 1072 CD and 1075 amp with the 1068, running B&W 700's).

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by AV-walker
            Usually, I'll spend 90% in listening classic music and 10% on movie. I'm considering to purchase an AV amp to match my B&W 603S3 speakers. AV amplifiers being considered are:

Denon 3805 (US$900)
            Onkyo 989 ($2,000 a bit expensive)
            Rotel 1056 ($ ???)
            Rotel 1067 ($ ???)

Please kindly advise your opinion.

Brgds,
            replied in club B&W

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

With music as a priority I'd go 1056. If you're going to spend as much as the 1067, just get the 1068 and 1075 (or 1056/1075). They're about the same price, offer better quality and better upgrade path.
              Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Stay away from Denon if you are a music lover. They are decent for HT, but 2ch audio quality from Denon has always been their weak point.

Rotel would be your best bet, it's going to out perform the Onkyo, though Onkyo is good for 2ch, but Rotel will sound slightly better (images and sound stage depth are better in my opinion).

You can take any of the paths listed above through the Rotel route.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• AV-walker
                  • Jan 2006

Thannks for your opinion. You know that I have almost nothing except an entry level AV amp Denon 1404. And, I'm considering to setup a stero config including CD player, amp and speakers (existing front speakers are Infinity EL20). My budget is about US$2,500 altogether. With this limited moneny, what stero combination is the best. By the way, my music collections are mainly classics.

Brgds,

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    Stay away from Denon if you are a music lover. They are decent for HT, but 2ch audio quality from Denon has always been their weak point.

Rotel would be your best bet, it's going to out perform the Onkyo, though Onkyo is good for 2ch, but Rotel will sound slightly better (images and sound stage depth are better in my opinion).

You can take any of the paths listed above through the Rotel route.
                    I second that: Rotel is the way to go for 2 channel stereo setup. See my profile for my current system.

Comment

• AV-walker
                      • Jan 2006

Thanks for your opinion, in particular Rick C and Thyname. I've heard Rotel combination of RCD-1072 CD player and RA-1062 integrated amp, the sound is clear and analytical. Yesterday, I was introduced to hear the sound of Tri TRV-A300 (valve amp) and a Shanling TD-T80 (CD player with valve output), the sound is warm and soft.

They are of two different streams and I could not make up my mind. However, no budget and no place to have two. Anyone who have been struggle between valve amp and transistor amp could lighten me.

Brgds,

Comment

• weijst
                        • Jun 2004

I agree with Bleuspower. Get the RSX1056 with the RB-1080! Great for future upgrades aswell...

ps: I have 1068+1075 powering DM603 S3 and it sounds great! However, could I do it all over again, I'd get the RSX1056+RB1080. Than again this has to do with my Stereo/HT ratio which changed from say 50/50 to 70/30...
                        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• CLUZO
                          • Dec 2005

Where can you buy ... at that price !?

Originally posted by aud19
                          With music as a priority I'd go 1056. If you're going to spend as much as the 1067, just get the 1068 and 1075 (or 1056/1075). They're about the same price, offer better quality and better upgrade path.
                          I'm Canadian as you, i'm asking myself where can you get the 1068 and 1075 at almost the same price of the 1067 ? Here after a few verifications it's still $1200.00 most expensive.( RSX 1067 $2800, 1068 +1075 $4000 )

Let me know if those prices that i've got are corrects.

Mario

Comment

• AV-walker
                            • Jan 2006

Rotel RA1062+RCD1072 + B&W805S

After carefully listening of valve amplifier with my selected classics ie 1812, Swan lake etc. I couldn't convince myself that valve amp and Xavian speaker is my cup.

Afterwards, I find the combination of B&W 805 and Rotel RA1062 plus its RCD 1072; the sound stage more clear and 3D than that of B&W 603S3. I tried 1812 again with RA1062 and B&W805S; the power is marginal in handling of cannons. Bass of 805 is also not very sufficient.

With B&W 805, RA1062 seems not strong enough???

Comment

• jim777
                              • Mar 2005

Another vote for RA1062 and RCD1072. I heard it on the 603s3, CM4, CM6, 704 and 703. This combo is great for the 603s3 and the CM4 for sure, it makes a great system together.

The 805 resolves more, so I'm not sure that the Rotel gear is a good match for it...

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by CLUZO
                                I'm Canadian as you, i'm asking myself where can you get the 1068 and 1075 at almost the same price of the 1067 ? Here after a few verifications it's still $1200.00 most expensive.( RSX 1067 $2800, 1068 +1075 $4000 )

Let me know if those prices that i've got are corrects.

Mario
                                I paid nowhere near that much for my 1066/1075. Infact a fair bit less than that even after taxes. You should be able to get the 1068/1075 for pretty darn close to that
                                Jason

Comment

• CLUZO
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                                  I paid nowhere near that much for my 1066/1075. Infact a fair bit less than that even after taxes. You should be able to get the 1068/1075 for pretty darn close to that
                                  Thonks for the information, Jason !

Mario

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"