X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lars
    • Feb 2005

1050-E,1067,1080 Muffled Sound, Low Volume

Hello All,

I haven't been very happy with the sound from my setup, so as a last ditch effort (because I just didn't want to believe the problem is my 1067), I tried connecting a 500 Euro Yamaha receiver and, rather unfortnately, it sounded considerably better than my considerably more expensive Rotel setup.

Compared to the Yamaha, when I use the Rotel gear I have low volume and low bass and while everything that I hear sounds accurate, it sounds somewhat muffled as well.

I have the following setup -

Rotel DVD 1050-E
    Rotel 1067, only the two front speakers are connected zone 1, left front and right front.
    Pre-amp left front and right front outs go to a Rotel 1080
    The cables are all Monster
    The speakers in place at the moment are Infinity 9.2i Series II, with the 1080 on the bass and the 1067 on the highs.

I've tried using just the 1067 in a non-bi wired configuration.
    I've tried the 1067 with JM Labs Cobalt series.
    I've tried using the Yamaha CD player that I used when I tested my speakers with the Yamaha receiver with the Rotel 1067.

I've tried analog with multi-input versus digital into video 1 (PCM 2 channel).
    I've tried playing with the crossover settings for the speakers in the 1067 setup.

Nothing seems to make any difference in the problems I'm having, and it seems to point to the 1067.

Any suggestions that you have are most welcome -

Thanks,
    Lars
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Using the multi-channel inputs rules out any crossover settings or problems converting the digital to analog. So that will give you the most accurate sound the 1067/1080 combo is capable of.

Since the Yamaha sounds fine, we can rule out you not knowing how to hook everything up (phase issues,etc).

Very well could be the a problem with the 1067, but for it to effect the digital inputs and multi-channel inputs seems a little odd. Rotel's are typically pretty laid back while Yamaha's can tend to be overly bright. One last thing to try is the 1080 on the Yamaha's outputs, and running both highs and lows off the 1080. If you get some of the same problems doing that, then you may just not like the way Rotel and your speakers match up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lars
      • Feb 2005

Thanks - I'll borrow the Yamaha again and try it.

One thought - the speakers I'm using are 4 ohm. Any issues for the 1067 and 1080 on that?

Thanks,
      Lars

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by lars
        Thanks - I'll borrow the Yamaha again and try it.

One thought - the speakers I'm using are 4 ohm. Any issues for the 1067 and 1080 on that?

Thanks,
        Lars
        Shouldn't be any issue, especially what you're experiencing.

Kevin D.

Comment

• PhotoRobot
          • Feb 2005

Lars, is it all channels that are low volume and muffled? Is it specific certain channels.

My unit had the left rear fail and it was low and muffled. Then it was mute. After that my centre channel went low and muffled.

Multi channel processing produced the same results, low muffle. Several posts back it was some dry solders on the unit that needed repair.

I will keep you posted, my RSP1068 is due back this week.

At least my XBR450D (dust coated speakers) have attuned me to the tin can again. Should be great to get everything back again this week and finally hear my 805 rears.

PR

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Hi Lars,

Please confirm that the Balanced / Unbalanced switch on the back of your RB-1080 isn't the cause. It has caught a few of us out.

Nigel.

Comment

• lars
              • Feb 2005

Thanks for your replies -

I am only using the two fronts, but they are identical in their behavior.

The switch on the 1080 is set correctly (I do have some bass, which is driven by the 1080).

If anyone else has a 1067 handy...at volume 50 I can still talk without having to raise my voice (though just). Is that normal? (the speakers are 4 ohm, 90db)

I should be trying another receiver this afternoon (to drive the 1080). Will post an update after -

Thanks again,
              Lars

Comment

• lars
                • Feb 2005

Hello All,

I tried:
                1) the 1067 as a pre-amp with only the 1080 driving the speakers.
                2) a NAD C-352 as a pre-amp with only the 1080 driving the speakers.

My impression is that there is better sound and more power (see below) using the NAD/1080 than with the 1067/1080 combo.

Power - to get about the same volume of the NAD with the dial at half, I have to run the 1067 at about 80. I don't know enough to know if that's to be expected or not.

Any thoughts are more than welcome -

Thanks,
                Lars

Comment

• lars
                  • Feb 2005

Anyone? :-)

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

A lot of the problem may be from the fact Rotel's volume isn't linear. 50 on the 1067 is half of full volume. That said unless you have a large room with in-efficient speakers, 80 should be pretty loud. The fact that 80 is equal to half on the NAD is irrelevant.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lars
                      • Feb 2005

Okay, thank you Keven, very much appreciated -

Lars

Comment

• Bmac
                        • Aug 2006

65-70 is about all I can take

I have the RSX, and I feel the sound output is fine. Yes, the dial is set a little high IMO, but since it's an abstract number I have no gauge..... The Rotel dial reads 65,and the spl meter is at seventy(in my home). Could your output be measured that way, I know room acoustics play a factor....maybe some people could give you an average. My space is 15x24x8 with my speakers setting in a 15x12x8 area. If others do the same maybe you could get some idea if you are lacking. There are a lot of variables, but if the problem is real wouldn't it show.
                        Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"