X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • santai33
    • Nov 2007

803s with onkyo 875 or rotel rsx 1067

As some of u have read my previous post, instead of upgrating to 804s from 703s, i finally get 803s rosenuts I'll order my htm3s tomorrow. Now i have some guestions for u guys to help me up. i m planning for 5.1 ht system.

* which receiver onkyo 875 or rotel rsx 1067 is suitable for my 803s? i m wondering if the rotel 5x100watts, 8ohm will provide enough power for my the b&w or onkyo 5x250watts, 6ohm is better???

*do the onkyo 875 or rotel rsx 1067 receiver can be connected to rotel amplifier rmb 1095? i m planning to buy rmb 1095 in the future.
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I'm not fimiliar with the Onkyo receiver so I'm not sure about that piece. The Rotel would be able to run those speakers. Since you have a 5.1 system you can set the RSX-1067 to bi-amp the front speakers. It would give you 100 watts for each the mid & tweeters and woofers. It would be plenty of power for the 803S.

Eric

Comment

• sandalsocks
      • Aug 2007

The rotel have the pre-outs so you can add an amp later.

Comment

• perato
        • Jan 2005

UltimateAV has reviewed the TX-SR875 and Audioholics has reviewed the TX-SR805. Both are THX Ultra2 certified and consequently should be able to handle loads down to 4 ohms (803S can drop to 3.2 ohms I think). Both Onkyo receivers have pre-outs so you could always add an amplifier later if you need it.

I have been using an Onkyo TX-SR701 with 705/htm7/ds7 for almost four years and have not had any problems yet but I don't listen at loud volumes.

The HTGuide forum members are partial to Rotel/Classe because they are all owned by the same company as B&W and consequently sold by the same dealers as B&W. The big 3 (Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo) Japanese receiver companies get a bad rap here. The Onkyo (as well as Denon and Yamaha) can blow away the Rotel receivers in terms of features for the price.

If you peruse the Audioholics website, you will find that the owner of the site uses a Denon flagship receiver with an Emotiva amplifier to power a 7 channel system of RBH speakers, which are at least as difficult a load to drive, if not more difficult than the B&W speakers.

If you have a very large room or listen at loud volumes you might need an additional amplifier whether you choose the 875 or the 1067. With the 875 you will get more features (Reon video processing, latest audio processing, HDMI 1.3, etc). Just because your speakers cost tens of thousands of dollars, you don't have to spend that much on your receiver/processor/amp. If you want to spend the extra money for boutique electronics, it will likely be better spent on acoustical treatments.
        In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• nicky
          • Jan 2007

Onkyo 875 is a good receiver and plenty for the 803 and a better buy esp for HT use. You should also get a good price on the internet much below MSRP on the Onkyo 875.

Rotel is very popular here and are good, but tend to be overpriced due to only limited stores selling them with no online sales.

People tend to degrade receivers from the big companies, but they are actually very good and acurate in their power and spec ratings.

Also, practically all receivers have pre-out.

But receivers will sound different and people prefer the sound of certain brands over others. So try to audition them and make sure they have all the inputs/ouputs that you desire.

Comment

• santai33
            • Nov 2007

which is better if i add up onkyo with rotel 1095 or i buy a rotel processor 1068 with 1095? do i need the hdmi upscaling thing? can anyone tell me how and what it works?(do i get this feature from dvd player?) i get discount for both onkyo and rotel product

Comment

• perato
              • Jan 2005

Whether or not you need upscaling depends on what you will use your system for. If it is for music only, then you do not need it. If you are watching any standard definition content on an HDTV then you will need upscaling. If your players already upscale well, then you don't need more upscaling in the receiver.

Upscaling converts a lower resolution to a higher resolution. For example a DVD with 480i can be upscaled to 1080i for display on an HDTV. The Reon processor in the Onkyo 875 should be a pretty good upscaler. There aren't many chips that are better video processors.

BTW, your question is not really specific to B&W so you can get a wider range of responses by posting on another forum on HTGuide or try another website such as AVS or Audioholics.
              In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• Rosso_Corsa
                • Nov 2007

I am currently using an Onkyo 805 to drive my 803Ds. No issues at all, plenty of power and no strain.

You won't have problems with the 875, which is even more powerful.

I have compared this against the Classe C-AP2100 and there are only marginal improvements. The Classe is $4800 bucks. The Onkyo can be had for $850 or less.

Comment

• scanido
                  • Apr 2006

Currently I am driving my 803S and HTM3S with a Rotel RSX-1057 and it is surprisingly adequate for me in my bedroom setup. My room is 17.5' x 12' so it is a fairly good size room. I can reach up to about 90db which is fairly loud to me without any strain on the speakers or receiver. I haven't gone louder, but it sure sounds great already. I'm sure with an external amp the sound will be even better.

Comment

• x43x
                    • Sep 2007

I recently purchased an Onkyo 805 and a Rotel 1075 to power some 704's. They pair together well, but the Onkyo is a hold over until Rotel comes out with an HDMI 1.3 compatible pre/pro that will decode the new audio formats. I have been upgrading my 10 yr old home theater gear over the last couple months and I'm amazed at how much better things sound. I decided not to go with the 875, just because the Samsung BD-UP5000 hybrid player has the Reon chip in it, so I saved a couple bucks.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"