X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John A.
    • Dec 2005

Please help with firmware update using mtty

I need help. i am trying to upgrade my Rotel using mtty. I am doing everything correct - disconnect everything, power off, set toggle switches on, launch mtty, connect, power on rotel, I get the correct screen text asking me to choose 1, 2, or 3 - this is where I hit a road block. I am unable to enter "1". I am running Windows 2000 and I have tried 2 laptops with the same results. I'd hate to fail after disconnecting all the connections. Can someone please, please let me know what may be wrong? Thank you very much!
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Check your cable pin-out - a pin may be missing or bad.

Check the communications settings in MTTY, particularly that flow control is off. (main window->Flow Control. In the Flow Control Settings window, click None, then click OK).

Rotels MTTY instructions are here: Software Upgrade
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• DSGCobra
      • Feb 2003

You can do this with every thing connected. I have updated the firm ware 3 times on my 1098 and have never disconnected anything, way to much of a PITA.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Are you using laptops with a built in serial port or a USB adapter? You might need to use Hyperterminal vs the MTTY software.

Kevin D.

Comment

• John A.
          • Dec 2005

I am using built in serial port. The IT guy at my office suggested I try another cable like the other Rotel Club member sugested above. I am curious if Hyperterm can be substituted as you are suggesting? Has anyone used that instead of mtty? I am not real tech savy with this sort of thing. Also, this is my first post and want to tank you all very much for the fast help. My system is in limbo since I disconnected everything and really want to get the updated done before I put it all back. In the future I will perform firmware updates with everything in place as suggested.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Actually Hyperterminal was the orignal method, but it has issues with windows XP, so they moved to MTTY. If you do a search for hyperterminal you should find the very similar instructions for using it.

Are you using the cable included with the unit, or did you make your own?

Kevin D.

Comment

• John A.
              • Dec 2005

Thanks Kevin D. I am using a cable that one of the IT guys gave me from my office. It could actualy be the cable, although it seems to be able to receive info from the rotel processor, just not able to talk/transfer from PC to processer. I'll try new cable tonight as well as hypertext and let you know what happens. I am very determined at this point.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                • Feb 2003

I had problems with the eprom load but the code load through mtty went really smooth much better than the Hyperterminal. It is probably as simple as a bad cable.

Comment

• John A.
                  • Dec 2005

Lets hope so. I'll post my results tonight. Sweet truck!! The red brake calipers are awesome.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

thanks they match the red valve covers....

Comment

• John A.
                      • Dec 2005

Okay, NO LUCK!!!! I tried a new cable as well as trying Hypertext. I get the same issue with both laptops (XP and 2000) in that I cannot enter the number 1 when the terminal asks me what I want to do. I am really at a dead end here. I really can't figure what could be going wrong. I printed instructions and tried them step by step with both mtty and hypertext. Two quick questions: is the cable a special cable or can it be purchased at Comp USA for example? And second, should I try my parents old Win 98 tower and see if that does the trick? I never thought this would be so hard. Thanks for any input or ideas. If any else has had similar issues and found out what was wrong please, please let me know. Thanks very much -John

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

I'm a bit outta turn here because I've never used this software. Serial ports are a very old device on computers left over from the original x8086 days. Windows has never really (IMO) communicated well with serial ports. There could be several problems on the end of your computer that have nothing to do with your Rotel equipment. Here's just a few things to check (probably through Windows Device Manager):
                        - make sure the serial port is enabled in BIOS
                        - make sure there are no conflicts with other hardware
                        - make sure the settings match that of the Rotel device (I don't have the information handy or I'd post it. sorry )

Comment

• Fishy
                          • Jul 2004

I updated using a Win XP Pro machine, no problem. Could only think its the cable.

Fish

Comment

• mickster1972
                            • Feb 2005

It's definitely the cable. I just updated mine last night (finally got it right after initially failing to turn off the main power switch in the back!) and Shane Kea at Rotel told me that you can't just go to the store and buy a cable since the pin configuration is specific to the application. I had a cable supplied in my box with the 1068 processor. You can probably order one from Rotel or check with your local dealer. Check the rotel website to see how they have it wired in case you need to make your own cable. Only four of the pins are used (tx and rx, and 2 of them are ground)
                            "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• John A.
                              • Dec 2005

Thanks Mickster, that has to be it. I am just using a cable that one of the IT guys gave me at work - has serial at one end and ethernet at the other. I did not realize that the pin config may be somehow unique for this use. I'll check my box in the attic which is probably buried - but I have to put Christmas decorations away anyway. I'm hoping I left the cable in the box since I cannot find it where I keep all my other misc cables. This is such a great site for Rotel users.

Comment

• John A.
                                • Dec 2005

Got it to work with no issues once I used the cable supplied by Rotel. Thanks to everyone for there help!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"