X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Things I like about LspCAD 6

Or, what I'm going to do on my Thanksgiving vacation?

Seriously, though LspCAD 6 hasn't received the warmest of welcomes, due to the pricing on the new version, and lack of availability of a lower cost "standard" version (at this time, only the "Pro" version is available), I have to say this is a complete re-write and a there's a lot to like here- some fairly obvious, some more subtle. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

So for the benefit of those who haven't waded through the demo manual and run the demo in depth, I'll toss out some comments and highlights. As I encounter or discover or remember more things, I'll come back and update this first post. If you check out the demo yourself, or get LspCAD 6 and have your own opinions and experiences, please feel free to post on this thread.

One point upfront- I own a couple of older copies of Soundeasy, but I'm not intending to get into a "he said, she said" kind of tit for tat between the two programs- I haven't been using SoundEasy for a few years, so I'm out of the loop for that. When I "switched" to LspCAD it was because I found it fit my working style better, and had certain capabilities, including ones more related to documenation of work, that I liked and valued. YMMV.

So, if you're in a new purchase mode, consider both, and by all means get as many opinions as you can, but also get some hands on time with both before making up your mind. There's a lot to explore in the LspCAD 6 demo.

Schematic Editor

The data entry part of LspCAD is totally re-vamped, and now works like a true simulation schematic tool - it's not driven by the constraints of a ladder network simulator using text entry, but allows you to draw out your schematic manually. Big plus, coming from a CAD guy like me.

Components have detailed menus brought up by right clicking, including building in parasitic resistance, specifying a minimum and maximum range of component value under the optimization process (way cool), range for olerance analysis, enabling/disabling optimization, and being able to specify which optimization target uses this component- also way cool.

Detailed component configurations can be cloned, differing only in designator and nominal starting value. Way cool, since you can save these configured components to a scap sheet or a template file...

(if you're thinking that there's a lot of features here which make this a powerful, configurable production environment that would appeal to a real engineer or someone who has to do this for a living, you're on the money).

Note boxes can be added to the project schematic pages as needed, to hold comments and thoughts as you develop a project.

Projects can have up to 10 pages of schematics, accessed by a drop down box.

Box models are now created on the schematic pages, and a templates for common types are included. Box models can be mixed with measured data, passive crossovers, active crossovers and active EQ all in the same single project file- a unified modeling environment is used for all.

Graphs

Graphs are now collected together into a single window, using tabbed panes to select which is displayed. Includes a new polar plot and polar map function.

Calculated data from graphs can now be exported, either in simple text format, or MatLab format.

As with past versions of LspCAD, updating component values manually or by arrow keys in the Schematic produces immediate updates to the displayed graph.

Optimizer

Box transfer function as well as network transfer functions can be optimized using selected parameters.

When you're optimizing a section of a filter or your crossover, the parts which are checked in their local right click menu for optimization appear in bold, as a reminder of which parts are being adjusted/affected.

User Interface

The main control window is used to open projects (multiple can be open at once, up to memory limitations), and lists all the components in the current Schema pages, including drivers, along with key parameters and data.

Settings and controls for the Optimizer and Emulator are located here.

More to come- this is a post in progress.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Hank
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2002

Well, Jon is certainly impressed, and the feature descriptions make this seem like a real "pro" tool. Okay, we've read references to a high price. Just how much is this puppy?

I just loaded LspCAD non-pro and hope to jump into it soon with some of the new Dayton drivers. You pros out there must be very tempted by the new pro version.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hank,

Unfortunately George W's handling of the US economic situation has caused to $US to plunge against other currencies. That hasn't helped with the price of LspCAD.

The Pro version started out expensive and is getting more so.

I bought it as an upgrade from Standard years ago for $350. The nonupgrade price then was $500.

Until Dec 31st 2004, those upgrading from version 5.25 Pro to V6 of Pro can do so for $200. Those wanting to upgrade from the Standard version to Pro can do so for $510.

After Jan 1, 2005 the Pro to Pro upgrade goes up to $485 and the upgrade price from Standard to Pro will be $850

To buy Pro from scratch will be $980.

One really needs to have Jon's level of knowledge to take advantage of what the Pro version now offers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Can you say "pricing yourself out of the market?" Starting from scratch, you'd really have to love the LspCAD interface to pay twice the price of SoundEasy which has equal (some would say more) capabilities.

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

Yeah, I think LspCAD has gone over the top. I bit the bullet and upgraded to version 6, but I purchased the Pro version quite awhile back too. I can't see why any potential DIY customer would go that route now with the other options available.

Davey.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Starting from scratch it would probably be a different story these days, though I like Ingemar and the communications and support I've gotten from him.

Soundeasy has had for some time some interesting features like the room space modeling; at this time, I'm intrigued by the "unified" approach Ingemar has taken and the possibility of modeling with defined or imported transfer functions- I'm thinking that the tool may be flexible enough to model dipole systems accurately with some effort.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
              • Jan 2003

Jon,

How would you approach modeling a dipole system with LspCAD?

Optimizing to a user-defined target transfer function was available in previous versions of LspCAD. The free-form design environment is the only significant upgrade I can see in the new version. With previous versions you could pretty much construct whatever topology would be required....within limits.

I just don't see anything with the new version that warrants the price. Hopefully a "standard" version will be forthcoming at a much lower price.

Best,

Davey.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                • Aug 2001

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the heads up on the new version, I hadn't seen it was now available. From your description, it sounds like there are some very useful improvements for those doing lots of optomization and experimentation. The schematic entry is very welcome, especially if it allows more non-standard filter networks to be more easily modeled. I do like the idea of tab-sorted graphs, as it can be tough to sort through and keep track of all the windows in the current version.

I plan to download the demo today, but I was curious if you knew if V6 allows optomization of the phase response as well as magnitude? I know this was mentioned as a feature to be added in the past.

Thanks for the heads up,

Cheers,
                Mark Seaton
                "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• Davey
                  • Jan 2003

Mark,

I am not Jon, but, yes, it sure does. You can optimize the phase response over a defined frequency range with a defined delay or to an imported phase response target.

Davey.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

There's a lot of different ways to use the optimizer in the new version.

With the old version of LspCAD, only relatively standard ladder network configurations could be entered, or some limited series network configurations. The new version is essentially free form, as far as output configuration, especially since you can now sense differentially.

Some other features are more subtle- being able to define component characteristics including optimization range- one can setup "standardized" components on your scratch template for certain applications areas or types-, and copy and paste those into your circuits, or build blocks which you clone and re-use- these are productivity oriented features, but unless you only do one project a year, productivity is a good thing...

Transformer component is new; now, it would be possible to model the ultra high slope filters such as Joeseph audio uses, which uses transformer coupled components for cancellation.

Baffle component for diffraction analysis with data measured originally on an infinite baffle.... (granted, not as good as having data from the exact baffle, but allows educated "what if" modeling)

The transfer function module gives the opportunity to model G(s) and G(z) in a variety of ways- this also includes the possibility of direct "code" input, using Matlab syntax, to model an acoustical transfer function-

Additionally, a transfer function from a text file can be imported, so if you can model it in MathCAD or Mathematica, you can create a file to use with LspCAD for modelign the whole system. This is way cool, in my opinion.

Now, if I was into the digital crossovers, having the dbx Pro DriveRack 260 component, or the Behringer DCX2496, or the XTA component of the DP224 and DP226 digital crossovers would definitely float my boat- and is a substantial addition. OTOH, I'm not into them, but still, it's a significant feature upgrade.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should rush out and buy LspCAD6, but for me, upgrading was a no-brainer. Everyone has to make that decision on their own- and for a lot of folks, doing just one or two "standard" projects a year, I expect LspCAD 5.25 std will cover most of their needs-

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
                      • Feb 2002

Looks like lspCAD 6 standard is coming. And the price looks more reasonable. (~115 euro currently for an uprgrade from 5.25 standard-which is around $150)!
                      www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

That's good news; I've got a copy of 5.25 std I'd also like to update.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Davey
                          • Jan 2003

LspCAD 6 Standard now available.

Davey.

Comment

• Hank
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2002

Oh Thomas, the econnomy isn't the president's "fault" - it's more complex than that, but Let's not go there - this is a friendly place.
                            I am disappointed. I contacted Ingmar a few months ago and asked about the upcoming improved upgrade to the standard version. I said I'd bought ver 5.25 but hadn't opened and installed it and wouldn't if the next version would be out in a reasonable amount of time, so I offered to trade mine for a reasonable fee, considering I'd been out the money for 5.25 for months and hadn't used it. He said it would be a "long" time (like next year) before the new standard version would be available. Now that I've opened and loaded 5.25, I discover that the new version is out. Drat! Just my luck, like having my rental car broadsided by a deer last Friday night (and of course I had declined the rental company's insurance :cry:

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Oh Thomas, the economy isn't the president's "fault"
                              I know, according to Frontline, WalMart is to blame ...... :wink:

My personal auto insurance covers me when I rent a car.

There's nothing wrong with LspCAD Standard 5.25.

Jon used LspCAD Standard to design ALL the projects you've seen him develop in the last several years. That should give you an idea as to how powerful the standard version is. He just upgraded to Pro with the V6.0 offering.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hank
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2002

Good one, Thomas - the evil empire Walmart.

Yes, my personal auto insurance covers it, but I'll have to pony up the $500 deductible. Point is, if I'd taken the $12 Enterprise insurance fee, they would have been responsible for the entire repair cost. What's that old saying about being penny wise and pound foolish?

Comment

• AndrewM
                                  • Oct 2000

If I'd have paid the insurance every time I rented a car I'd have been able to pay the insurance deductable a few times over. You may want to check with your credit card company to see if you are automatically covered.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

The standard version of LspCAD 6 has the following features missing. I know what some of them mean but I don't understand the context of all the terms. Which of them are "must have" or "nice to have" features for someone doing a couple of systems a year?

PS - I browsed the Soundeasy manual and their way of modelling opamps is really lame (IMHO). Single + or - wire in instead of two +/- wires in and you have to calculate the gain, impedances, etc. and type them into a dialog box. So you end up with a schematic that looks nothing like the real schematic. I believe LspCAD lets you just add your resistors, caps, etc., like the real thing.

The standard version has the following features otherwise available
                                    in the professional version excluded or limited.

Crossover emulator, only two channel output possible.
                                    Snapshot, only possible to take snapshots of the SPL graph
                                    Tolerance analysis
                                    Voicecoil heating
                                    Extra transfer function
                                    Polarplot
                                    Polarmap
                                    Power response
                                    Optimizer options missing in the standard version
                                    Optimize Impedance
                                    Optimize Transfer function
                                    Target XO points
                                    Target Zmin
                                    Target Box vol
                                    Target Phase
                                    Target EQ
                                    Target Imported

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

We have a copy of LspCAD 'standard' on order, we'll do a compare and contast between it and the Pro version.

For those that don't know, older V5.xx LspCAD files aren't compatible with the new V6. So plan on re-entering all your data if you upgrade, since you can't import older project files.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Uh, not quite right-- as I mentioned, LspCAD 6 has an "extra's" menu, among which is running in LspCAD 5.25 mode, so you can use your old files.
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2002

Guys, if you act quickly, you can get Pro for the price of Standard. Ingemar is offering a free copy of Pro to the first 20 people who make a USD $210 donation to the Red Cross or Unicef for tsumani aid. What a guy!

Comment

• Paul H
                                            • Feb 2004

That's very considerate and generous of him.

I tried, but Ingemar just advised via email that the available 20 copies are all reserved.

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

It went pretty quickly. Not surprising. Still, no doubt Ingemar is a gentleman and a scholar...

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                                • Feb 2004

My LspCAD 6 Standard copy is ordered and on the way. I checked out the other typical speaker design programs but was very impressed with LspCAD's ease of use, particularly the "autocad-like" feel on the crossover and box layouts.

First I think I'll take some measurements of my M8n/xt25 centre, and try to adjust it. It's almost right, but not quite - it has a different baffle than the one on my mains.

And then, I'm doing some dipoles, and then ...

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Sounds like you're on a roll, Paul!

LspCAD 6 is addictive, I find- I keep wanting to work on new projects to see how it will handle them!
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                                    • Feb 2004

I got a parcel in the mail from Sweden today ..

Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

I spent all day measuring drivers to feed the hungry maw of LspCAD6 ...

Congrats on getting your package!

~Jon
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"